Need advice regarding scanner, software, printer

D

DariusL

Reaction score
Diving into 3D printing, removable lab. Will be doing mostly removables, nightguards. Later more all on Xcases...
0 years experience, (Played with form2, sm4k and medit software)

Our plan is to purchase full module software perpetual, no early software upgrades.
Can't decide what to pick, looked both 3shape and exocad.
Looked other too, medit, blenderfordental,...

both software's 3shape and exo looked fine for me

for scanner 3Shape E4 or Novux (same as E4 just differeent logo ) or Medit T710

at price point 3shape scanner with software cost $2000 more vs T710 with exo. only

Does surgical guide design included in exocad ultimate bundle, in 3shape need to buy impant module separetely?

3shape scanner faster for full arch scan.

Any suggestions, recommendations
Thank you

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you need exoPLAN to place implants and create surgical guides. this is not an exocad feature.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Software I’m biased and like to keep as much of my money as possible so exocad is my recommendation.

Scanner I’m out of the game in terms of info on new scanners. I have a 6 year old DOF scanner that works great and never had an issue. So others can speak on scanner. One thing to consider is if certain scanners are compatible with exocad.

Printer is a much longer answer. Key thing to remember is proper protocol. Meaning printer has to be approved for whatever resin you plan on buying. Your curebox has to be approved as well with whatever resin you’re using. You open yourself up to legal liability when you don’t cover your ass. In terms of price gold standard is Asiga (open system). If you don’t want to worry about what to use and is it safe then go with a closed system like Desktop Health. They are the pricier ones but their denture resin, temp resin and permanent crown resin are all solid industry leading resins.

Update:
A solid middle ground choice is Ackuretta. They are open and have a great ecosystem of resins. They also have a unique concept of interchangeable build plates. Which allows you to control print speed based on how much your printing.

Last edited:
JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
I was using 3shape but I recently switched to Exocad and my god, I'm sorry but it's so much better IMO. Way less clunky, I felt like I had to trick 3Shape into letting it do what I wanted. Then again I design mostly big cases, a lot of full arch fixed. I prefer 3shapes denture module to Exocad but it's just so sloooooow having to go through all of the steps. If you're doing any all on x then I think exocad is going to be your best bet for sure. Exocad is still really nice for designing dentures, I need to learn the denture module but so far I've been doing fine designing full dentures in anatomic pontic.

I have an E4 scanner and it's a beast, I can use it with exocad as well but honestly I only got it because I was investing in 3shape as well. If I were buying all at once I'd try an look for a bundle that's synergistic.

Honestly for surgical guides I find it best to go with a surgical guide software like bluesky bio, you pay per .STL instead of the software itself but there isn't a big upfront cost. 3shape implant studio is obscenely expensive (and not included with complete restorative, it's about $8000 more) and won't be worth it unless you're doing a ton of guides. I don't know anything about Exoplan but I'm pretty sure it's not included with ultimate lab bundle.

As far as a printer goes I use an Asiga Max UV and I love it. It's a reliable workhorse and the nesting software is easy. I've heard good things about Sprintray though and they have their own bundle with a wash and cure that's really nice if you're just learning how to print.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Exoplan and guide creator is separate Europe around 3.5 K inkl. first year and 600 update per following year which is necessary because medical device no update no software running

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
If you have 3shape software already and want to add Implant Studio its roughly $5000.
A stand alone Implant Studio all by itself is $7000
They yearly is around $500 per yr but check with your reseller.

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
For scanner, T710 is quick if you don't scan in color or high precision scan. If you do the files are way heavier and it takes way more time.
E4 is pretty fast even in color. I use both depending on what I need.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
If you have 3shape software already and want to add Implant Studio its roughly $5000.
A stand alone Implant Studio all by itself is $7000
They yearly is around $500 per yr but check with your reseller.
This sounds about right. You'd have to be pumping out surgical guides like it's no one's business to make it profitable.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
This sounds about right. You'd have to be pumping out surgical guides like it's no one's business to make it profitable.
I don't do surgical guides but I'm curious what the going rate is for these.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Following with interest. @DariusL can I ask what’s motivating your lab to want to step into digital? Are your docs moving that direction? I’m always curious. Old school removable guy here.