Best material for verification jigs?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We use die stone, have been told right from when we first started this is the most accurate, and if the impression is out the stone will break, then the doc will have to take a new impression.
And start all over again, we find there is too much flex in most other materials. View attachment 20921
What about the expansion of the stone? What stone are you guys using?

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Fuji rock, vacuum mixed, 30 secs-1min, leave to dry for 3-4 hours, or overnight then just hand trim back the sharps, they work very well.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I always have been curious about the actual effects of expansion. Would it effect the locations of the pins? or just expand in other directions leaving the pins static.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Dentsply Triad Provisional material...

3 light cures in my Cristobal...vaseline finger tips

1-Buccal rope...cure
2-Lingual rope...cure
3-Occlusal/Gingival ropes...cure

15min hands-on

Attachments

• IMG_20160301_140604.jpg
    IMG_20160301_140604.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20160301_140620.jpg
    IMG_20160301_140620.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 84
Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
I suppose its no different to the same expansion characteristics of the implant model you just poured in the same material.

Its better to have a solid very rigid material, that replicates what the bar will be rather than something that wont "break" but could potentially bend or flex.
We have been using this technique for 15 years, and works well, we always emphasize to the doc that this step is the most critical to the final restoration functioning and fitting.

I always have been curious about the actual effects of expansion. Would it effect the locations of the pins? or just expand in other directions leaving the pins static.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So how do you guys remove the material from the impression posts or the abutments after you have finished the case? Those parts are pretty expensive.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So how do you guys remove the material from the impression posts or the abutments after you have finished the case? Those parts are pretty expensive.
Personally, I charge for them. If I can recover and reuse great, if not order more and charge. I keep the verification jig intact until the case is delivered and the patient is happy, just in case.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Great advice on saving the jig its super important. We have had cases where a model had been damaged or some how an analog needed to be replaced via altered cast and the jig is the only sure way to get this done.

I never destroy ANY jig, if they want to harvest the parts thats on them. We instruct our accounts to let the patient retain all of the implant models/jig. Once you share how much money they can save in the event something needs repair by having these items they generally comply.

V

vitahouston

Reaction score
Thirty verification jigs and 20 impressions were made of 3 externally hexed Steri-Oss implants in a master stone base according to the following groups (n = 10 per group): (Group 1) Jig: GC pattern resin; (Group 2) Jig: Duralay resin; (Group 3) Jig: Triad gel resin; (Group 4) Impression: closed-tray impression copings; and (Group 5) Impression: open-tray impression copings. A stone base was fabricated for each experimental jig and impression.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thirty verification jigs and 20 impressions were made of 3 externally hexed Steri-Oss implants in a master stone base according to the following groups (n = 10 per group): (Group 1) Jig: GC pattern resin; (Group 2) Jig: Duralay resin; (Group 3) Jig: Triad gel resin; (Group 4) Impression: closed-tray impression copings; and (Group 5) Impression: open-tray impression copings. A stone base was fabricated for each experimental jig and impression.
So what was your conclusion?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The custom tray is an interesting option. Is this listed as a product in your software or is this something that is free handed and trimmed. I can see my DW is lacking in this respect.
I use the bite splint module in exo. Then add the handle as an attachment and free form to smooth the junction. The screw holes are done with attachment removal tool. Dump DW and get on board with exo. The possibilities are endless if you use your imagination. 100% exo.Party

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

This video is could be misleading to some, it makes it look so simple. First time a DR does this he will most likely not try it again :)

Rarely are the implant this parallel and in close proximity. extending the gel with out a frame work of floss or something else is tough in the mouth with out it slumping. The depth of fixtures and the height of the transfer assemblies or temp abutments (dissimilarities) will effect this ease as well

The relief joints to compensate for resin curing dimensional changes is smart however when you sluff off (grind/cut) the o2 inhibited layer of the composite when you are thin cutting the jig the bond between the resin is not there with out a primer. Any divergency to the fixtures when you pull the jig out will lead to separation.

This is one of the reason I like to use PMMA the bond with any pattern resin is super tenacious with out having to use any paint on bonder in the mouth. Pattern resin will flow exceptionally thin to run down thin joints in the mouth making mechanical retention not really needed.

The truth is we have had a great discussion here but what works for some seems backwards for others. There is not just one way to make sure a master model is verified which is why we see so many differences in material and techniques. What is true is that at least over the last 15 years or so this has become the standard of care and the clients do not question the path anymore, they may bitch about the costs associated with it but it really isn't a discussion I am forced to initiate anymore.

E

edwarddental

Reaction score
This video is could be misleading to some, it makes it look so simple. First time a DR does this he will most likely not try it again :)

Rarely are the implant this parallel and in close proximity. extending the gel with out a frame work of floss or something else is tough in the mouth with out it slumping. The depth of fixtures and the height of the transfer assemblies or temp abutments (dissimilarities) will effect this ease as well

The relief joints to compensate for resin curing dimensional changes is smart however when you sluff off (grind/cut) the o2 inhibited layer of the composite when you are thin cutting the jig the bond between the resin is not there with out a primer. Any divergency to the fixtures when you pull the jig out will lead to separation.

This is one of the reason I like to use PMMA the bond with any pattern resin is super tenacious with out having to use any paint on bonder in the mouth. Pattern resin will flow exceptionally thin to run down thin joints in the mouth making mechanical retention not really needed.

The truth is we have had a great discussion here but what works for some seems backwards for others. There is not just one way to make sure a master model is verified which is why we see so many differences in material and techniques. What is true is that at least over the last 15 years or so this has become the standard of care and the clients do not question the path anymore, they may bitch about the costs associated with it but it really isn't a discussion I am forced to initiate anymore.
John , I agree with you ; primopattern will not work in the mouth , but work fine for me at the bench . Primotec have more stuff that you can use for jig and like you said - what work for one, may not work for other .

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Maybe still writing the results.Dontknow
<Flintstones>
"Did you find out why the guys in pit 6 are loosing their hair"
"Yes, and we're currently in the process of refuting that investigation"
</Flintstones>

Top Bottom