BEGO TriniQ, a new resin hitting Lab Day Chicago

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
We've been working closely with BEGO and taking a serious look at BEGO Ceramic Resins for quite a while now...
we really like what we are finding..

I do believe BEGO is the Global Leader in printed ceramics, and with good reason. Many of you who work with a variety of printed ceramics should notice "working" differences between them. The first thing we noticed about VarseoSm Crown Plus and VarseoSm Teeth is that if feels "more like" e.max "at the bench" than other ceramics. For starters, the binders are mostly responsible for the overall strength of the crown, the fillers and binders effect the wear.

While VarseoSm may have a slightly longer print time, it's cure time in a Curie is 2.5 minutes, which lowers the overall time significantly if we compare other ceramics light cure cycle times. What this also means is you are working with a much more stable product off of the print bed.

and here is another major benefit...

when prints have a chalky appearance, it is because the binders have been washed out by excess processing. With BEGO products, we have a slightly longer print polymerization time meaning the print is more stable on and off the print bed. the post processing is cleaner and requires much less alcohol (more on that).
the processing of these products is so much easier and foolproof... a few minutes in an ultrasonic and the surface of the restoration has a nice "mechanically retentive" surface and an intact "binder" surface with an equally important Chemical Bonding Layer that is inherent in all 3D prints. (also more on that)

Huge Note:
The typical "sand blasting" in the final step of the instructions has been removed from the processing instructions for TriniQ. this is important (also more on that)

Now on TriniQ

As with all the BEGO ceramic products I feel like I'm working with a "dense" product, less prone to IO staining.
While hand polishing, it also takes a heavier hand to polish BEGO over others, but with TriniQ it takes even "more". i love the hand polished look of TriniQ as well.

Stain and glaze is no different than any other Ceramic...
for Shofu Lite Art, Palette, and other "paste" stain systems use a nitrogen cure. Glycerine is NOT substitution and does not cure the OIL surface.
Optiglaze color is a great system if nitrogen curing is unavailable. I have yet to test the Vita kit.

I'll post lab day links, and they will have some Pretty Incredible People at Lab Day you will want to meet!

We have been working with products prior to launch for quite some time now, and many of these products are still moving toward final validation.

here is a quick peek:

When a bottle of resin comes in it typically has processing instructions to some extent or instructions that can and have changed. We typically have an evaluation sheet with specific instructions or expectations, or parameters for an evaluation.

We load a clean vat of resin, various "indicated" structures, and structures that push the limits. With access to the Ackuretta test server (I'm hoping they grant engineering access) we can test new materials still under validation.

We calibrate the Z axis and do a test print with a different vat of material. Next we clean our plate and switch out the vat.
Once we start printing we will keep going until the material is gone. This is typically a Friday morning to Sunday night of endless printing.. we print until the small build plate doesn't have a drop of resin to pick up. Now we are talking about countless calibration checks and vat-clean cycles.. room and build plate temperature is adjusted and prints of various layer builds are evaluated along with other ceramic prints.

Print failures are evaluated, and checked against a different material vat test. Meaning an exact print in a different ceramic material to check for a print failure. This requires a large build plate of prints in most cases (this also gives a test replica for cross evaluation.)
All prints are left unprocessed, wrapped in a paper towel, bagged/labeled and put in a dark drawer until all the printing is done.

prints are now post-processed in a variety of ways, following the mfg IFU's
and also minimizing or removing a step from the processing instructions..

Products are bonded together and deconstructed and evaluated.
They are also stained/glazed and /or polished with an overall handling of the product for full evaluation.

i love my job, who wouldn't

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Does it stick to pmma?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
you can,, they go in printed dentures... but i think you already know that
That’s what I was asking about. Isn’t the printed base a type of pmma? I thought it was.
I would be interested in that application rather than c&b

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Dentsply is advertising.. put pmma isn't a printable product, and is not compatible with 3D prints that i know of. for carded acrylic teeth, a primer is required to soften the acrylic.

we are using Rodin base resin. printed teeth and printed base are bonded together with fluid base resin. the OIL surface must be preserved in both prints for an optimal chemical bond. the OIL consists of an uncured chemical layer and preservation is essential for an optimal weld at the junction

3D processing cycles are designed to strip away these nasty chemicals, rather than seal the restoration with a nitrogen cure. the manufacturers IFU's can be met by pre-curing one product and then bonding for the final cycle

Slide4.jpeg

Slide6.jpeg

this explains further

Last edited:
Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Simple and Fast – The New Cleaning Method for Restorations, VarseoSM Crown Plus and VarseoSM Temp

BEGO's validated cleaning method for 3D-printed restorations made of VarseoSM Crown plus and VarseoSM Temp, using the universal cleaning liquid for 3D printing materials InovaPrint wash*, makes the digital workflow even more advantageous and flexible for the user.
VarseoSM Crown Plus is the world’s first approved ceramic-filled hybrid material for 3D printing of permanent restorations. It offers 3D printing users the ability to produce definitive crowns, inlays, table tops, onlays and veneers in minutes. VarseoSM Temp is a tooth-colored resin for 3D printing temporary crowns and bridges, inlays, onlays and veneers. Both materials have a specific ceramic content, which causes a whitish layer on the surface of the printed objects when using the previously approved cleaning methods (with ethanol 96% or isopropanol). After cleaning, it is therefore necessary to blast the object surfaces with a polishing agent (e.g. BEGO Perlablast® micro) to achieve a homogeneous appearance of the restorations.

With the newly approved cleaning method using InovaPrint wash, the blasting step is obsolete.

“Extensive tests from the ISO 10993 series of standards on biocompatibility prove the high safety of 3D-printed objects after cleaning with surfactants and curing with one of the numerous compatible post-curing units,” says Marius Kempf, Senior Product Manager 3D Printing at BEGO. “In addition, the validated surfactant is user-friendly, safe and economical, as it contains very little alcohol and has a service life at least three times longer than ethanol. Cleaning with InovaPrint wash is also environmentally friendly because it is biodegradable.”
The manufacturing workflow of restorations made of VarseoSM Crown plus and VarseoSM Temp thus becomes even more user-friendly, as no special cleaning equipment, not even an ultrasonic bath, is needed anymore. Moreover, since blasting of the restorations is no longer required, the workflow remains dust-free. The new cleaning method can be used in combination with all validated 3D printers and post-curing units.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Any idea on the actual strength of this material (the Varseo crown) ? All that’s published is 115-150 mpa flexural and no additional docs I could find from bego.
What is the life expectancy and at what thickness on biting surfaces?
What do you think the real world application will be for this?

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
That’s what I was asking about. Isn’t the printed base a type of pmma? I thought it was.
I would be interested in that application rather than c&b
denture base material is not pmma either, the two are mutually exclusive. his is also why you can't reline a print.

aka, why prints are for immediates only, and are just waste long term.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Any idea on the actual strength of this material (the Varseo crown) ? All that’s published is 115-150 mpa flexural and no additional docs I could find from bego.
What is the life expectancy and at what thickness on biting surfaces?
What do you think the real world application will be for this?
The new ceramic resins are in the 180-200 mpa range

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
denture base material is not pmma either, the two are mutually exclusive. his is also why you can't reline a print.

aka, why prints are for immediates only, and are just waste long term.
Why reline a print and not just print a new one?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Why reline a print and not just print a new one?
why reline a normal denture to begin with

dumb false equivalent. relines are what you do with dentures, once per month, every month. you gonna eat a remake fee once a month every month? no, reline it.

if you only charge 20$ for a denture and give it a 9 day warranty, be my guest. you want to add some zeros to that, aint no way you can convince a patient to come back and pay another fee once a month.