Are Titanium Temp Abutments Suitable to make a Screw Retained Zirconia Crown?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
oops

Last edited:
Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
There is one instance that I can think of that requires Ti temp cylinders although I have not tried it with single unit screw retained crowns... just hybrids.
I am referring to the Astra EV implant. There are no Ti bases available nor any milling center able to cut that interface except Atlantis. But Astra/Dentsply (The Borg) does sell a cylindrical Ti temp cylinder that can be cut to the desired length and scanned, as mentioned above, and designed as C&B with self designed screw access channels. Also, temporary abutments are milled from the same stock as definitive restorative abutments. The FDA approves for use in mouth... not time in mouth. Prosthetic screws are the same also, unless it's specifically a lab screw.
This process has become very popular among 3shape labs that do not own the abutment/bar module so much so that Core3D even gave the restoration a name... Screwmentables!

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
View attachment 20765 Ask the Implant company if this abutment is suitable for a permeant restoration? If they say no, ask them why.

I can not recall ever seeing a temp abutment with a different screw than what is used in a final abutment. Makes no sense unless you are talking about a lab screw which is completely different. Maybe I am wrong????

As for wall thickness now that is considerably different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some temp abutments I have seen EXCEED what most Ti bases are.
John... I liked your question "Ask the Implant company if this abutment is suitable for a permeant restoration? If they say no, ask them why". I'd like to hear them answer that one!
BTW - What gingival material are you using in the photo? Looks nice. Thanks

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I have asked on occasion.
Muddled fuddled wuddled answers.
In one instance, they said same grade Ti, made on the same equipment but... not recommended!

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I have asked on occasion.
Muddled fuddled wuddled answers.
In one instance, they said same grade Ti, made on the same equipment but... not recommended!
They meant to say "Not recommended for their bottom line"!

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I use the syringe and control the amount by injecting slowly, using the tips supplied, including the fine tip.
If it is in the fridge and sets slower, that would explain the slumping.
Maybe you want to use it in room temperature and compare, it should stay put by itself
unless you are loading a whole bunch of material, which would be just wasteful anyway.
Hope that helps.
LCM

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
And for the 'technical' explanation of Cold welding:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding
Not sure that actually happens, esp. in the mouth when it is seldom dry.
I would think it is more frictional fit, of 2 less than parallel surfaces than anything else.
What do I know?
LCM

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
a cylindrical Ti temp cylinder that can be cut to the desired length and scanned, as mentioned above, and designed as C&B with self designed screw access channels.

@Edward123 Or better yet, if a company could come up with the geometries of the Temp cylinders in their library so you don't have to scan it, the geometry is already there! Oh...but wait...someone has!! You can digitally try in the proper height of the temp cylinder needed by simply changing the order form in 3Shape on the most recent library of Vulcan for BioHorizons. It's easy, just select the height wanted and design around it. All you have to do when you get the Easy Ti Temp in is cut it to your desired height. Bam!! :D

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
@Edward123 Or better yet, if a company could come up with the geometries of the Temp cylinders in their library so you don't have to scan it, the geometry is already there! Oh...but wait...someone has!! You can digitally try in the proper height of the temp cylinder needed by simply changing the order form in 3Shape on the most recent library of Vulcan for BioHorizons. It's easy, just select the height wanted and design around it. All you have to do when you get the Easy Ti Temp in is cut it to your desired height. Bam!! :D
It would be great if all the manufacturers included their stock geometrics but that may be asking too much to make our work easier!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Been using zhermack for some time now(both rigid and soft) I've been very happy with the results every time, never have been disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Is what you using Zhermack gingifast rigid?.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I pick and choose case by case. I personally like the soft for single units and small bridges, usually up to quad situations. If I'm doing a case with tissue management (full arch, all in fours/ fives or various hybrids I go for the rigid. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Top Bottom