Are Titanium Temp Abutments Suitable to make a Screw Retained Zirconia Crown?

M

Mike L

Reaction score
Does anyone know when making a Screw retained Zirconia Implant crown can the Zirconia be cemented over a Titanium Temp abutment, so its used as it's base. I know the options of using Veriobases, Universal bases, nt-trading bases or ordering an titanium final abutment and modifying it. But has anyone used a titanium temp abutment for this purpose? Is the grade of titanium the same as the final abutments?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in order to do this you need to do one of two things.

1. obtain a Parametric geometry of the base, and integrate it in your CAD suite for use as an implant base; this will be impossible now in 3shape 2015 without FDA approval for some reason (or just exist anywhere other than the USA and you can do this without concern)

2. scan the base as a 'preparation' and design a crown with a hole in it. this is a bit easier to get from start to finish, but has the drawback of being finnicky with fits. it may take a few tries to get the spacer and drill compensation down pat to a passive-yet-snug fit.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Does anyone know when making a Screw retained Zirconia Implant crown can the Zirconia be cemented over a Titanium Temp abutment, so its used as it's base. I know the options of using Veriobases, Universal bases, nt-trading bases or ordering an titanium final abutment and modifying it. But has anyone used a titanium temp abutment for this purpose? Is the grade of titanium the same as the final abutments?

Before dedicated Ti Bases were wide spread, temporary cylinders were used. Not sure if they have the same grade, though...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I think the temp screw would be a concern as well.
Don't do it.

Cost difference from a Ti base to a temporary cylinder is not that great, either. Also, you will have to prep the Temporary cylinder, whereas the Ti base can be used as is.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I think the temp screw would be a concern as well.
Don't do it.

Did quite a few before the Ti inserts became available for a platform...ordered the temp Ti abutments and regular screws...it worked well

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
IMG_1683.jpg Ask the Implant company if this abutment is suitable for a permeant restoration? If they say no, ask them why.

I can not recall ever seeing a temp abutment with a different screw than what is used in a final abutment. Makes no sense unless you are talking about a lab screw which is completely different. Maybe I am wrong????

As for wall thickness now that is considerably different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some temp abutments I have seen EXCEED what most Ti bases are.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Did quite a few before the Ti inserts became available for a platform...ordered the temp Ti abutments and regular screws...it worked well

Had I said sure, why not, you can bet my post would have been followed by a self righteous lecture on following the manufacturers instructions.

I'm sure the warranty would hold up if they are original temp components.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think we have perceived notions when the manufacturer uses the word "temp" to assume it means its not a permanent solution.

I also think they have a real reason to infer this as to sell more parts as well.

It may just be me but these are things that I ask and if the rep doesn't have the answer I push it to someone that does.

There are a ton of new studies that supposedly are by 'independent" companies showing the negative effects of using CAD Bases and again this is to sell more parts. Again we are all for the safety of the patient and would never ARBITRARILY use something that is inferior. If the part is FDA cleared what more can we do, I am certain the TEMP part falls in the same category right?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you for I have the same considerations.

However,based on the recent actions of the big implant companies, I'm sure their lawyers would take advantage of any discrepancies with their protocol.

I've got a work around with the Nobel ASC abutment that works but would never pass the warranty.

We've all pointed out the hypocrisy of the implant companies but they are winning the pr battle.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you for I have the same considerations.

However,based on the recent actions of the big implant companies, I'm sure their lawyers would take advantage of any discrepancies with their protocol.

I've got a work around with the Nobel ASC abutment that works but would never pass the warranty.

We've all pointed out the hypocrisy of the implant companies but they are winning the pr battle.
Have you ever read the warranty information? All of the ones I have read state that an implant will be replaced. The GP and the patient get nothing, the lab will not be compensated for parts or labor and the surgeon gets a free implant, but is not compensated for any new grafting materials or time or anything else. Is that really a warranty? I provide genuine parts if my clients want them, but when I explain or show them the warranty information on implants they usually go with aftermarket.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Have you ever read the warranty information? All of the ones I have read state that an implant will be replaced. The GP and the patient get nothing, the lab will not be compensated for parts or labor and the surgeon gets a free implant, but is not compensated for any new grafting materials or time or anything else. Is that really a warranty? I provide genuine parts if my clients want them, but when I explain or show them the warranty information on implants they usually go with aftermarket.

The 3rd party warranties seem to provide more coverage.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
What soft tissue material is that John ? Is it scannable ?

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
We have been using the titanium temp abutments.. when i asked i was told the screws are the same as is the titanum. from what i understand a titanium base with with a height of minimus 4mm is what's necessary.

we use the Zhermack Gingifast rigid gingival mask material, it is scannable and looks like what's in the picture above.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you guys telling your drs that you are using temp abutments for final abutments?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Are you guys telling your drs that you are using temp abutments for final abutments?

As long as it's a quality part what fits the purpose, I don't care what the label says...Having said that, we're fully transparent about what we send out (reorder and lot number stickers attached) and stand behind it ...if somebody's ana1 about OEM or whatnot, then they get OEM and a hefty markup ;)...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
images

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Just have in mind guys, temp abutments might have different connection to implants, a loose connection lets say, because some dentists use it for immediate loading, and incase of any excessive force, the abutment will become loose and break, and the implant will stay in place.

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
The systems we are using the temp abutments on, have the same platform and screws as the stock abutments.

Top Bottom