Adding a pontic to a partial

K

kettlebell

Reaction score
How would you suggest I add a pontic to a partial? We are an Ortho Lab so we dont see many partials but occasionally we get one. I have been having trouble bonding the acrylic to the metal framwork. The acrylic and tooth pop off, cleanly. I have tried to rough up the metal and wrap the acrylic around but it doesnt hold. Do I need a special resin or primer or something else?
Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How would you suggest I add a pontic to a partial? We are an Ortho Lab so we dont see many partials but occasionally we get one. I have been having trouble bonding the acrylic to the metal framwork. The acrylic and tooth pop off, cleanly. I have tried to rough up the metal and wrap the acrylic around but it doesnt hold. Do I need a special resin or primer or something else?
Thanks!
GC Metal Primer II. Worth it's weight in gold, and they know it. ~$130/5ml

I add teeth every day and have only had one break free, ever. And it was a shearing of the acrylic, the bond junction between the acrylic and metal was solid.
Not the strongest guy for sure, but when I first got the stuff I tried to break off a lower central added to a lingual plate and couldn't break it away when pushing in the occlusal loading direction.

Follow it's directions and it'll be your new best friend. You can get away with running a good clean sharp carbide over the bonding surface of the metal instead of sandblasting as the IFU says to, but it's not advisable. The microscratches from sandblasting allow greater surface area for bonding.

K

kettlebell

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Are you saying you micro etch with the primer or that you can micro etch without using the primer. It sounds like I need some of this in my arsenal but Im not sure I can wait for shipping. Ill definitely place an order today.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Are you saying you micro etch with the primer or that you can micro etch without using the primer. It sounds like I need some of this in my arsenal but Im not sure I can wait for shipping. Ill definitely place an order today.
This is not like etching feldspathic veneers or such things where you have to neutralize the acid and then go about the rest. Much nicer.

Very simple to use. Blast (or grind) the metal, wet the metal with the magic liquid, apply acrylic to the junction while the magic liquid is still wet. Process normally for your acrylic's IFU needs from there forward.

There is really only two ways to mess this stuff up.
1 Not preparing the metal
2 Waiting too long to apply acrylic and letting the magic dry instead of being wet on the surface of the metal junction area.

Attached is the IFU. Keep it in the box so I know where it is :)
It comes with a brush to use, nothing real special about the brush. But(!) keep it sacrosanct to it's task!

Attachments

• MetalPrimerII IFU.pdf
    532.3 KB · Views: 10
victormasi

victormasi

Reaction score
We get those types of repairs @ 2-3 per week. The GC primer works well when the span from the major connector is close to the saddle area to added to. But if the distance is too far and you have a tight opposing bite, better to laser weld a retention loop as a strengthener. These types of repairs keep coming back repeatedly and you wind up MARRIED to them, NO BUENO!! Just my opinion...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We get those types of repairs @ 2-3 per week. The GC primer works well when the span from the major connector is close to the saddle area to added to. But if the distance is too far and you have a tight opposing bite, better to laser weld a retention loop as a strengthener. These types of repairs keep coming back repeatedly and you wind up MARRIED to them, NO BUENO!! Just my opinion...
Yes, exactly. Forgot that part. Distance matters.

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
Ivoclar has a similar product, SR link.
I have used both and prefer the Ivoclar, it has seemed to me that the bond is stronger But that may just be my perception.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Took the words from my mouth.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
agree with all said. Sun medical have a bonding agent called META FAST also. Just in case this may be easier for you to get

K

kettlebell

Reaction score
Man! Thanks everyone for your input. I have been following this site for sometime now and up to this point, mostly as an observer. I wish I would have been more involved from the get-go. It would have save me some time and headaches along the way.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Man! Thanks everyone for your input. I have been following this site for sometime now and up to this point, mostly as an observer. I wish I would have been more involved from the get-go. It would have save me some time and headaches along the way.
That's what you get for being a lurker LaughLaughLaugh