Acrylic to acrylic barrier

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hello again, it's me :Hello:

When I do a suck-down implant surgical guide, what do I need to use on a printed model so that the cold cure acrylic doesn't stick to the printed model?
I tried liquid foil, but maybe I blew too much of the excess off, as that really didn't work. Then I tried 3 coats of the Zhermack Gingifast separator that we use for soft tissue to a PVS impression. That was better, but the cold cure stuck fairly well to that, too.

What do you all suggest for me? :)
TIA

B

bdwalsh3

Reaction score

This would be an option, We use it for cold cure applications but not for injection processing. You would want the Siliform BEA 3D model separator. There are more steps than a traditional separator but it seems to work well for us. Hope this was helpful!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

This would be an option, We use it for cold cure applications but not for injection processing. You would want the Siliform BEA 3D model separator. There are more steps than a traditional separator but it seems to work well for us. Hope this was helpful!
Thank you, bdwalsh3. I'll give them a call and see what they say and of the cost.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

When I do a suck-down implant surgical guide, what do I need to use on a printed model so that the cold cure acrylic doesn't stick to the printed model?
I tried liquid foil, but maybe I blew too much of the excess off, as that really didn't work. Then I tried 3 coats of the Zhermack Gingifast separator that we use for soft tissue to a PVS impression. That was better, but the cold cure stuck fairly well to that, too.

TIA
Vasaline?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Vasaline?
I thought about that, but I didn't know if the acrylic that contacted the vaseline would cure correctly, and may be a bit pasty, or tacky there?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I didn't know if the acrylic that contacted the vaseline would cure correctly, and may be a bit pasty, or tacky there?
I have used Vaseline as a barrier for acrylic. I have not experienced any of the above mentioned issued. I guess you could do a trial on an old model and pour some acrylic on it...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I have used Vaseline as a barrier for acrylic. I have not experienced any of the above mentioned issued. I guess you could do a trial on an old model and pour some acrylic on it...
Thank you, friend, I'll give it try :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, friend, I'll give it try :)
we tried the vaseline with not wonderful results. some areas it worked, others did not. was too inconsistent for us.
could be related to the resin?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
we tried the vaseline with not wonderful results. some areas it worked, others did not. was too inconsistent for us.
could be related to the resin?
And on the case I was working on, I was leery of vasaline as it needed to be delivered that morning, so I didn't want to experiment with that one. I'm more used to a dryer barrier like we use on a stone cast, in which ADS X-foil works wonderfully. What do you use on stone casts?

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
And on the case I was working on, I was leery of vasaline as it needed to be delivered that morning, so I didn't want to experiment with that one. I'm more used to a dryer barrier like we use on a stone cast, in which ADS X-foil works wonderfully. What do you use on stone casts?
ivoclar separator works well for us. the old dentsply Al-Cote worked well back in the day too and i think we still have some of that kicking around lol

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Diamond D Ultra Sep is what we use. A third of the price of Ivoclar and works just as well.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score

TIA
Taub Liquid Latex, should and does perform perfectly. Goes on White, dries clear. A perfect "Miniscule" barrier from all combinations. Have always kept on hand for that reason. I've had a sample size, diluted with distilled water and that was 10 years ago. Truly a remarkable product but get a small size unless using in a larger operation.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Taub Liquid Latex, should and does perform perfectly. Goes on White, dries clear. A perfect "Miniscule" barrier from all combinations. Have always kept on hand for that reason. I've had a sample size, diluted with distilled water and that was 10 years ago. Truly a remarkable product but get a small size unless using in a larger operation.
For acrylic to acrylic, this sounds like the way to go. I've used Taub before and have liked their products :)
Thank you, everyone, some really good replies have been posted :)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
For acrylic to acrylic, this sounds like the way to go. I've used Taub before and have liked their products :)
And it hasn't gone sideways................YET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Yes, Latex go with it 😉 Seriously a perfect ban between all materials in my long lifetime. Thinned with water what more you ask for?? This could get off track soon as "Someone suggested" 🙄🙂

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just talked to Taub to make sure of what I was going to order, and he said it is Rubber Sep. I remember that from about 25 years ago when I had a bottle for who knows what I was doing with it back then. He mentioned they have the white that dries clear, or the pink, which will stay pink. I think I'll buy the pink version just so I can see if there is any piece of it sticking to the surgical guide acrylic after curing.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@sidesh0wb0b @Sda36 idea worked great, thank you Sda :) I got the small bottle of pink, which includes the brush tip in the cap, and did a trial on a printed model. It wasn't the full-blown pontic fill-in and cured in a Lang Aqua Press. But what I did do was put some white rope wax on the buccal of the pontic area (created a dam),mixed some Jet acrylic and laid it on the pontic area and tipped the cast towards the buccal to help it not run to the lingual. I let it self-cure for about 45 minutes. It came right off :) It did leave a couple of little pieces of pink in 2 spots (which weren't totally set and were in crevasses) that's why I got the pink to be able to see any leftovers. I'm sure super dave was just using what he's had all of these years, but since this was a new purchase, went with the pink

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

TIA

If still someone is interested, sometimes its worth to RTFM... This is from Whip Mix's Verimodel resin brochure:

WORKING WITH PRINTED MODELS
  • Models can be coated with a separating material such as Whip Mix's Foilcote, Lubritex No. 12, or Gator Die Lube to prevent wax from adhering.
  • Models can be duplicated with silicone.
  • When models are used to create orthodontic appliances, or denture bases, a non-food grade silicone mold release agent should be used to prevent acrylic from adhering to the surface of the model.
  • Models can be used with vacuum form method to create aligners, retainers, and indirect bonding trays.