3shape 700vs. Dental wings 3series?

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals need some advice. We know where we are buying a scanner just have not figured out which one. We have done webinars on both and from what we have seen the dental wings seems to be easier to operate, multi die scanning and was alot cheaper just as accurate and better operating system. The only thing we really liked about 3shape was the libraries which all of them are from denture teeth. Would like some feed back anything will help.

thanks alot

Twin Rivers

C

charles007

Reaction score
DW.... funny, but I guess your serious...

I've heard Wieland has some good deals on 3shape and the Mini mill. Check with them before you make a decision..
Have you checked out Medit prices.. Best bet is to consider 3shape or Medit..
With a little checking around, I bet you can pick up a used DW series 3... and if you can, that speaks for itself !
Its possible the new Series 3 is ok. Should you buy one, do yourself a favor and call 3 or 4 labs that bought a series 3 in the last 12 months and ask if they would buy again.

Want a used 3shape 640 that has the d700 upgrade... PM if you want Tim's #... its a lab in NC, and you probably know him..

Charles

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
Well everybody and their mama have 3shapes and thats what we were leaning too but after the webinar the interface on the DW was easier to use scans multiple dies. the scanner also gives you realtime video of what your scaning instead of digital view that can sometimes look distored. also the computer that comes with the system is a bigger faster computer than the one from 3shape

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
DW does not use much RAM, and a nice PC would be a waste.
It is still kinda a 32-bit that has been patched to kinda work on 64-bit I think.

Who cares what you see during scanning? What are you thinking you are going to be looking at anyways?

Come to Richmond VA and play with some scanners and mills and 3d printers before you open thy wallet!

Scott

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
well heres the deal we are a 3 person. looking to get into scaning first. We do alot of straumann implants and starting to do alot of FCZ but still most of the work is pfm and emax press. So in order for straumann to stand behind it that throws everybody but the straumann C.A.R.E.S and DW. So whats the better scanner for us. Two of us are in their early 60s and late 50s and the other is 28

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Then, go join the Straumann club I guess? (Buy a DW scanner)

It should work for your needs. (I think?)

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I have a Dental Wings 5 series . If I could throw it out of the window I would but I am afraid it will hit a passenger . After two years of using it daily for everything , I have made up my mind , it is the worst . Too many bugs , problems and stupid philosophy in many things . I am saving for a new scanner that will actually make my life easier . You know , it is a b!tch when you're scanning a case with 8 imlants , and after nearly an hour of scanning , to do everything from the beginning because the system froze . Every time they release an update for a different version , e.g from 3.2 to 3.5 , you have to wait for the third bug-fixing update before actually do that . Ask *** how many updates exocad has in a year . DW just released the third for this year . I am afraid to update . Last time I did , Straumann and Biomet 3i libraries just stopped working .

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Usually, there are NO BUG fixes for exocad. It is very clean and has been fully tested before new versions come out.

For the most part, it is only new features being added. I still Love exocad.

I absolutly hated DentalWings, as well as my employees and most of my customers. It kinda works, but I feel there are so many better options out there.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
well heres the deal we are a 3 person. looking to get into scaning first. We do alot of straumann implants and starting to do alot of FCZ but still most of the work is pfm and emax press. So in order for straumann to stand behind it that throws everybody but the straumann C.A.R.E.S and DW. So whats the better scanner for us. Two of us are in their early 60s and late 50s and the other is 28

I started out with the Etkon scanner and stuck with Straumann through all scanner upgrades ending with the current CS2 scanner. Even though I don't do many Straumann implants, when I do, I really like using their software and scanbodies. I get good support through the teleservice if I need it. The Itero/Straumann/DW partnership works very well as far as importing the Itero files and designing. You can import them to DW also. It's a huge timesaver. I don't really have any experience with other systems, but I can get most everything I need done with this system.

When I got this system there weren't nearly as many choices as there are today, but it has worked for me.
Just my 2 cents worth.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I'm 60 also.
I have worked extensively with both DW and 3Shape. Have personally designed many thousands of units. We now have no DW in our facility (sold it about a year ago). We do all our cases with 3Shape. That includes everything from single copies to full contour screw retained full arches on virtual adjustable articulators that can transfer a facebow mounting. Or, you can keep it simple and produce a full contour high quality design in 3-4 minutes.
I haven't seen the latest in DW but when I sold it there was no comparison.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
That's is not a fair comparison. A buddy of mine just bought DW3 and I stopped by to check it out and was like WTF!? I didn't like it and it was not user friendly on the layout, no simple icons you could click to to certain things. It was right click here browse to here the click. 3Shape interface layout is soooooo easy and that makes learning it very simple and quick. I can train an individual to design a decent looking FCzr in one day with 3shape, as long as that person is not afraid of a PC. DW3 I find is not worth a designers time. It is like American car manufacturers a few years ago so far behind the European and Asian cars that they were like cheap toys, not worth their $$$.

I haven't seen the latest in DW but when I sold it there was no comparison.

Bob your not missing anything new, still no comparison. We need to compare apples to apples not apples to limes.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
We bought straumann system a few months ago and it is absolutely a pain to work. I would like to see this wrbinar that shows it looking easier than 3shape! Everything in 3shape is a simple icon and simple tool. I was shocked at all the steps and menus! A huge mess! I love 3shape, not cause its popular but cause it works. Look into 3shape or exocad.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Having just gone through a comparison of a DW3 and a D500 after the Chicago meeting, I purchased the 3Shape. I was really conflicted and did both with TeamViewer sessions. I really liked the multi die scanning of DW, and the ease of getting things scanned in. The thing that separates 3Shape is the design and end product. DW is more "graphic" orientated in it's right click pop up dialogue boxes which then take up room, is more like running Windows OS, it's more clicking and ticking. All the 3Shape options are right there on the edge of the screen ready to click or slide, as has been mentioned in above posts.

When I was doing the TeamViewer demos, during the DWs demo, we came to a screen that went black in the background, we did something else, and I don't know if we went back to the same screen, but the background was black again. I asked if it was a glitch, and was told yes, I asked how long it's been around, and was told, "for awhile". I know they came out with a better tooth library, and some other updates that I didn't get to see at the time, so I can't say on that front what improvements it made.

My 3Shape PC did come with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, a i7 3770 3.4 GHz processor, and 16 GB of RAM. The graphics card is good, the HD could be a bit bigger (233 GB),but I'm happy with it :) I'm a one man lab, who doesn't do implant bars, so the D500 was fine for me. (I do have the Premium Software, and the Implant module)

edit: added HD size.

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Having just gone through a comparison of a DW3 and a D500 after the Chicago meeting, I purchased the 3Shape. I was really conflicted and did both with TeamViewer sessions. I really liked the multi die scanning of DW, and the ease of getting things scanned in. The thing that separates 3Shape is the design and end product. DW is more "graphic" orientated in it's right click pop up dialogue boxes which then take up room, is more like running Windows OS, it's more clicking and ticking. All the 3Shape options are right there on the edge of the screen ready to click or slide, as has been mentioned in above posts.

When I was doing the TeamViewer demos, during the DWs demo, we came to a screen that went black in the background, we did something else, and I don't know if we went back to the same screen, but the background was black again. I asked if it was a glitch, and was told yes, I asked how long it's been around, and was told, "for awhile". I know they came out with a better tooth library, and some other updates that I didn't get to see at the time, so I can't say on that front what improvements it made.

My 3Shape PC did come with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, a i7 3770 3.4 GHz processor, and 16 GB of RAM. The graphics card is good, the HD could be a bit bigger (233 GB),but I'm happy with it :) I'm a one man lab, who doesn't do implant bars, so the D500 was fine for me. (I do have the Premium Software, and the Implant module)

edit: added HD size.

Oh the scanning in of a case in DW3.......................I could scan in at least 2 single unit FCzr cases on 3shape before 1 case in DW3. No need to set the scan path then the scan area, i found that very behind the times as well.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Guys , trust me when I say it is the worst out there . They only way I could say it is more user friendly than 3shape or Exocad , is if someone has a gun at my head or if I am drunk , very drunk . The black screen thing is fixed , this version that is running now is ok regarding bus . But I hate the thing I had to update 3 times to get a decent version . They have Merz libraries now which are nice for FCZ , but that's it . It is too complex IMO . A few months ago I had a demo of Exocad for a month . I couldn't believe how fast I could design a 3 unit bridge . Under 10 minutes . It was the first time I was using it . The time got even better . Time is not as important as the user friendly enviroment it provides for me . I don't have any experience with 3shape , I have only seen some demos so I can't comment on that .

William

William

Reaction score
DW7 has a beast of a computer, i7, 8gram, onboard ram on the video card but they have it running on windows embedded standard. ftw

it is a glitchy finicky bitch. i have spent 20+ hours trying to scan and design a full arch implant case. i had to reboot 2x during the scanning process. took 13 hours to get my scans to the cad design. i spent 8 hours today trying to design this as full contour. still not finished.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
DW7 has a beast of a computer, i7, 8gram, onboard ram on the video card but they have it running on windows embedded standard. ftw

it is a glitchy finicky bitch. i have spent 20+ hours trying to scan and design a full arch implant case. i had to reboot 2x during the scanning process. took 13 hours to get my scans to the cad design. i spent 8 hours today trying to design this as full contour. still not finished.
We can do this in about 3-4 hours using 3Shape.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

High willam look into your task manager how much memory is used and reserved if the soffware is not 100 % 64 bit and supports it only you have buffer overflow with crash.If its not 100% 64 bit you can have as much memory you want it cant be addressed than only 3g ram being addressed and for big cases its not enough.

William

William

Reaction score
High willam look into your task manager how much memory is used and reserved if the soffware is not 100 % 64 bit and supports it only you have buffer overflow with crash.If its not 100% 64 bit you can have as much memory you want it cant be addressed than only 3g ram being addressed and for big cases its not enough.
thank you, i am checking that now.

i am still convinced this issue embedded os.

William

William

Reaction score
how do i dedicate more ram to the dwos

Top Bottom