3i Encode system

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I was talk to a rep from 3i and she has been asking me questions about ways we design/receive custom abutments from Nobel. I have not had a case for encode yet but I'm looking at it weighing up the pros and cons.

Apparently the abutments are talking 2-3 weeks from sending the model/impression to receiving the abutment in Australia. Hardly competitive on a time scale for us.

We lose control of design, which 99 percent of the time won't be an issue.

They offer pfm with encode. Is this a more cost effective option than a ucla?

On the possitive side the dentist dosnt have to fiddle around with impression copings. Is that where it ends?

What are the turn around times in the states and is the system competitively priced per abutment?

Does anyone know much about the 3shape agreement they have and if this will ultimately kill the encode system as it is today(sending models, outsourcing designs etc.)

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have done one Encode case, a 3 unit bridge. I charged the doc $391 per abutment. I think 3i charged us about $327 so we made $64 per abutment which is about what we make on other custom Ti abutments we do like Atlantis. That price also includes the implant analog. The doc also doesn't have to buy an impression coping either, so this system is good for them with respect to price.

The negatives are the lack of control. After we did this case, I talked to my 3i rep about this issue and he said I could request images of the abutments before they are milled so I could have some input. I don't know the quality of these images yet so I don't know how well this will work.

The doc's assistant on this case said that the delivery went very well. The bridge fit great and they had no problems seating the abutments.

I think the turn around time was 5 in lab days for the Ti abutments.

With only one case as a sample, I am not ready to give any final assessments on this system.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Encode is for GP's who can't handle a fixture level impression. Over priced solution to a simple problem. Nearly every one we did needed to be reprepped due to supra-g margins. Should'nt be necessary for something that expensive.

I'd rather have a fixture level impression and make an in house abutment for under $40, and get a better result.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
yeah im with you. it seems like a round about way to save the dentist doing something that they really should be skilled enough to do if they are taking on implants.

i have seen errors when the surgeon has not screwed the healing cap on completely, the restoration has no chance. Ever seen a rep try to politely tell a surgeon, a dentist, and a technician that at some point they have made a mistake(surgeon) while they are asking for a refund from 3i.

i feel sorry for the reps having to try push something that doesn't really have a bright future.

i keep asking her about their 3shape stuff but it sounds like it might be a while away.

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We have also had several encode cases that were failures due to poor placemet of the analog in the model (by 3i). Definitely not accurate enough to provide abutments and a fixed bridge on the Encode model that comes back from 3i. We have also had a number of single units with rotated alalogs that haveresulted in remaking cases.
Mark, you hit the nail on the head, overpriced product that saves dentists about 2minutes at the impression stage. If the dentist can't take a fixure level impression he should refer the case to another dentist.
Overall good idea, very poor exicution.
B

doug

doug

Reaction score
I had a series of problems with the Encode systems when we first started with it. 3i has changed their analog placement process completely and it is a lot better. It is pricey, but I charge accordingly and have no complaints from the docs about price. It is the way things are going so you may want to adapt. It's not for the dentist who is"Mentally Lazy" and EXPECTS everything to be ready to go from the surgeon. Only better setup is the direct scan of it in the mouth and virtual design.