3dRPD

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
is there anyone somewhat close to me that is currently set up to send files to 3dRPD? (I am in northeastern TN)
if so, I could use some help! PM me please
thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'd love to help you but I'm not that close to you.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we're just friends, really.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
lol thanks guys, I feel so......loved

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Have several frames done with them now and have had exceptional results. What questions do you have?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do you design the frames yourself John ? Or do you let them send you a review design?

P

Prosthodontics

Reaction score
Have several frames done with them now and have had exceptional results. What questions do you have?
John - you mentioned about the cost in your previous posts. How do you know if they produce all their frames through SLM? I have my reservations because at that price even without finishing, I do not see economic viability.
I have done my sums and modelled it multiple ways and I cannot see how it works even by sheer volume despite the cheap cost of raw materials assuming avg 15g of material including support struts. The issues is time takes to SLM these things, e.g. 10hrs for 12 RDPs at $95USD each!!! There is no profit let alone ROI.

Another question mark I have is that it only costs $20 to finish a printed frame. I am not sure what is the average hour rate for a tech in the US is? For a printed frame, it takes >1hr to finish but the time one cuts off all the struts, remove excess, dunk in electrolytic bath etc.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
more or less I am looking for a semi-local outsource partner for some scans for the time being....until I get the removables dept all functioning properly and I see the value in paying for another 3shape add-on.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
RKM- I am designing them now I had them do the second one to compare.

Pros- I have no doubt they are SLM you can tell by the intaglio surface that they do not fully polish.

SSB- Good luck with your expansion, this co seems to be making some great product my other outsource partner for frames has lost my business if things continue so well.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
RKM- I am designing them now I had them do the second one to compare.

Pros- I have no doubt they are SLM you can tell by the intaglio surface that they do not fully polish.

SSB- Good luck with your expansion, this co seems to be making some great product my other outsource partner for frames has lost my business if things continue so well.
you mean 3dRPD is doing well?
suggestions for getting things right? im open, this is a learning curve for me right now. should i steer clear of some stones? should they set up 24hr before scanning? im guessing 3drpd dme settings are accurate if youre happy, why would my expansion be drastically different?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you mean 3dRPD is doing well?
suggestions for getting things right? im open, this is a learning curve for me right now. should i steer clear of some stones? should they set up 24hr before scanning? im guessing 3drpd dme settings are accurate if youre happy, why would my expansion be drastically different?
nono, the expansion of your business (into removables)

but as you well know printed resin has some refining to be done to invest and cast correctly. especially as these are typically large frames they need good balance or you will get warpage.

and thats more or less why i offered to do the start-to-finish cast for you, so you arent bothered with all this extra work and risk.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
One note in the 3Shape settings that can save some frustration is to set your scan height high, particularly if there are deep areas to scan. I had a really deep palate with a lower setting and the partial was designed only to my setting depth. In other words, there was a gap between the palatial strap and the palate. I didn't catch the error, so it cost me $95. I say it is the price for education.