1st emax crowns! Need guidance!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Very nice results. Would it be fair to say in order to get the best esthetic result with e.max it should be a full layered facial opposed to just inc. cutback?

I wasn't calling out anyone specifically. To be honest my clients never even inquired about pressed so I never pushed it. Didn't have a need to. I have always been about PFM's. A lot of full arch and some full mouth cases. Times are a changing though...don't seem to get nearly as many of those these days.......trying to adapt as best I can.

Thanks for your advice. I know what I'm doing tonight....

For me all anteriors are cut back and layered, Ive only recently started doing posteriors full-contour without layering, but they look awesome pressed in LT.

My lab is less than 30 minutes from Ivoclars HQ, but there are Drs here that refuse to use pressed crowns and instead use PFMs or composites.. youd think theyd never heard of e.max... but Drs love it, and its incredibly strong compared to any other pressed ceramic..

T

TAB

Reaction score
For me all anteriors are cut back and layered, Ive only recently started doing posteriors full-contour without layering, but they look awesome pressed in LT.

Full facial cutback layering body and enamel porcelain or the inc. 1/3 and layering only enamel?

I'm just wondering if you can get just as good esthetics from only incisal layering as you can from full cutback.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I have always been about PFM's. A lot of full arch and some full mouth cases"

Then you always had a need for pressed, you just didnt realize it. ;)

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
lets put it this way....I wish all my doctors used e.Max, thats how easy that stuff is. if you have a question on what to do with e.Max please give me a call, I'd love to help ya out. I will tell you tho, I wish you had an Ivoclar oven......

my number is 1-866-766-1866 and my name is Jack

Good Luck!!

Hi jackjabbour, I do pressing but not e.Max I am going to call you if you do not mind to ask some questions about e.Max. Thanks

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Full facial cutback layering body and enamel porcelain or the inc. 1/3 and layering only enamel?

I'm just wondering if you can get just as good esthetics from only incisal layering as you can from full cutback.

Esthetically, you wont need to layer the whole crown, just an incisal cutback.. but the thing about emax is, you will want to take your ceramic close to the margin, because the e.max pressed material just sucks up glaze, and it could take 2-3 glaze firings to get a good finish.. Others might disagree, as there are ways around this by mechanical polishing, and glazing with the fluo glaze.. But the ceramic material is much easier to glaze and polish, if you are trying to get the same finish on a crown that is half covered with ceramic, and half pressed core, its tricky.. But contacts, lingual, etc.. can all be pressed core, no need for layering..

T

TAB

Reaction score
Thanks Affinity. Very good to know......very helpful ;)

I received the case today. The stump shade is 3R2.5. Final shade is 2L1.5. In your opinion is Ivoclars Shade Selection Guide accurate as far as getting the proper ingot color for the final shade. I just notice in the forums there seems to be some variance in opinions on different ingot selection. In addition I'll have to translate to Classic Vita.

corona

corona

Reaction score
TAB if you can pull off this case you need to buy all the nice folks here a nice cold six pack ....or at least return the favor 2 fold . You are lucky to have DLN with its resources and the superior aesthetic techs to help you almost personally . You cant get this kind of advice from the manufacturers technical team . One thing i can advise you on ... thickness/thinness of your waxup is paramount . It will determine what ingot and how you will layer . Get the models done quickly and wax and start to press immediately! This is an uphill climb but you have many expert climbers here to help you . Good luck . corona

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
2L1.5 isnt so difficult, if you order the LT intro kit you should be able to use an A1 or B1 LT, but make sure you have some pink stain or the salmon/orange ceram modifier, because the 3D shades have some pink to them. I havent done a 3D shade in a looong time, so without looking at the guide I could be way off.. Follow the manual for the procedure and its fairly straight-forward..

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Esthetically, you wont need to layer the whole crown, just an incisal cutback.. but the thing about emax is, you will want to take your ceramic close to the margin, because the e.max pressed material just sucks up glaze, and it could take 2-3 glaze firings to get a good finish.. Others might disagree, as there are ways around this by mechanical polishing, and glazing with the fluo glaze.. But the ceramic material is much easier to glaze and polish, if you are trying to get the same finish on a crown that is half covered with ceramic, and half pressed core, its tricky.. But contacts, lingual, etc.. can all be pressed core, no need for layering..

i agree always 2 glaze cycles when only adding to incisial 1/3 of crowns

T

TAB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far you guys. I just sent the models back to the Dr. to show him I need more lingual reduction. He was giving me only about .5mm.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
TAB your making your life REALLY difficult for a first case.

Just use MO1 or MOO copings and layer.

takes a lot of experience to get the hang of the LT ingots. For a good while your going to end up with low value crowns until you get the hang of the shades and thickness's.

If the DOC is a good client and he dosent mind you trying things out, then go with the LT's.

Otherwise just use MO's. Most of the time i find the LT's dont have enough opacity to match natural dentition. If you use em, you need to start bumping the body with Deep dentines or maybe something even stronger, if theres not much room. The LT's dont have any flouresence either, thats another reason why they suffer from value drop so easy.

When your doing alot of crowns together like smile make overs etc then LT's work fine. Isolated teeth take alot more experience.

Also dont get why .5 on the lingual is a problem?

you can take the frames down to 0.1-0.2 on the linguals if you like. The doc is bonding them (or he should be!)

Top Bottom