custom abutments made of e.max

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Yes it is French Cadman , thank you!!!! I need to search through the site to find out how to post pictures like that !!! I think I am just being lazy !!!! :-D

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I wish we could press zirconia.....watch Mark show us a secret pic :)

It's been done for a long time. Injection molding of ceramics (eseentially pressing) is commonplace. Morgan Technical Ceramics is making zirconia implant abutments this way as we speak.

Waste of time and motion. Just mill the thing for $5 or less. I can get 40 out of a $100 YZ block

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have bypassed this?

Is it just me who sees amazing potential in a product such as this? Imagine what you could design!

I have also seen it in the IDS but I don't know if they released it yet . Furthermore the bredent rep there told me it doesn't have the strengh of milled zirconia and it is for up yo 5 unit bridges . I don't know if they made any improovments .

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise it. Some of the Zir. abuts have started to fail by the European companies that were seated at the very begining. And they had the strength of 1200 to 1400 mpa. E-mas is only 400 for the press and 360 for milled. These failures are for the abuts. not the crns made of Zir.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I wouldn't advise it. Some of the Zir. abuts have started to fail by the European companies that were seated at the very begining. And they had the strength of 1200 to 1400 mpa. E-mas is only 400 for the press and 360 for milled. These failures are for the abuts. not the crns made of Zir."

Two words.. case selection ;)

T

tatooth

Reaction score
The Straumann emax abutment is a Zirconium oxide abutment not a lithium disilicate material. The name comes from Ivoclar and in my opinion is misleading. I wish I could make a Emax full anatomical screw retained abutment. If it could hold up long term that would be nice. see link from Straumann....http://www.straumann.us/ips_starget.pdf

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Ivoclar will be demonstrating their system for making custom abutments using regular eMax ingots at LabDay in Chicago. I believe it will be waxed to a titanium insert and then pressed separately (later mated to the titanium) as an abutment or a full screw retained crown. The new material is the bonding material to connect to the titanium. It is very opaque.

Ivoclar will also be releasing the multi-ingots at the Chicago meeting. I am working on going to the meeting. Another good reason to go!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ivoclar will be demonstrating their system for making custom abutments using regular eMax ingots at LabDay in Chicago. I believe it will be waxed to a titanium insert and then pressed separately (later mated to the titanium) as an abutment or a full screw retained crown. The new material is the bonding material to connect to the titanium. It is very opaque.

Ivoclar will also be releasing the multi-ingots at the Chicago meeting. I am working on going to the meeting. Another good reason to go!

Yes and they should be shipping out their kits May. Pressing only for now.
I think pressing to a ti insert then cementing it to the base.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I have gotten the procedure manual, but the kits will come later. As stated you'll wax over a Ti platform, separate then after pressing and final glazing/shading(to match at the super gingival mg) it will be bonded to the platform. Cool idea I am leary of the interface and bond. My 2 cents

D

department19972

Reaction score
I saw this system in Chicago too. I think the difference here is that the Ti screw is engaging a Ti core, limiting the stress on the emax. With the Zir abutment, are you refering to a Ti screw engaging a Zir core? If so, this seems to put quite a bit of stress on the Ti/Zir interface. Just a thought. Thanks.

I wouldn't advise it. Some of the Zir. abuts have started to fail by the European companies that were seated at the very begining. And they had the strength of 1200 to 1400 mpa. E-mas is only 400 for the press and 360 for milled. These failures are for the abuts. not the crns made of Zir.

cumino

cumino

Reaction score
Have been doing emax crowns/ abutments cemented to titanium bases for a while now and they work really well.

Bond onto the ti bases with Panavia cement and just polish smooth if needed.

Its a good technique as there is no chance of getting excess cement subgingivally.

Am just finishing a central where I have waxed, pressed and cemented an emax abutment onto a tibase...as the screw hole was bucally placed, waxed up an emax crown on top which the dentist bonds on with temp bond

There seems to be word that zirconium abutments are coming loose ...has anybody heard of this? Not the case with titanium..

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"There seems to be word that zirconium abutments are coming loose ...has anybody heard of this? Not the case with titanium.."

you mean the zr abutments that are being cemented to ti bases? or one peice ZR abutments?

It is well know that one Peice ZR can loosen. due to the bed in issues between the abutment and the TI fixture.

K

Kurt Zubler

Reaction score
"There seems to be word that zirconium abutments are coming loose ...has anybody heard of this? Not the case with titanium.."

you mean the zr abutments that are being cemented to ti bases? or one peice ZR abutments?

It is well know that one Peice ZR can loosen. due to the bed in issues between the abutment and the TI fixture.

There is a solution and its called Hotbond

A new technic to solder e.max to titanium or ZR to titanium

It's a german invention and already succesfull on the market. In the Staes
it's coming soon.

If you want to know more just inform me

Kurt Zubler

P

paulg100

Reaction score
look forward to hearing more about that.

its not what i was talking about with the bedding in issue but still.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
There is a solution and its called Hotbond

A new technic to solder e.max to titanium or ZR to titanium

It's a german invention and already succesfull on the market. In the Staes
it's coming soon.

If you want to know more just inform me

Kurt Zubler

The website from kuss showed ceramic to ceramic only - no to titanium although the text included 'ceramics-metal compound'.
Is this the product you are talking about?
http://www.kuss-dental.com/2004/descargas/folletos/folleto_hotbond_en.pdf
Are you sure there is good clinical documentation on titanium
and whether it was to CP or Ti alloy?
LCM

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
My Ivoclar rep came in today and brought up creating e.Max custom abutments. Basically, you buy a stock abutment for whatever implant system you are using and prep it down. Next you apply some kind of a substance that acts like opaque in conventional C&B(not sure on the specifics of this step). Then you wax the ideal shape of your final abutment on the prepped Ti stock abutment. Then sprue it up and press it in an MO ingot.

There is an article in Feb edition of Spectrum Dialogue that details this technique called "The Press-on-Ceramics Abutment." The author does not say what type of pressable material he uses, but it is a good demo of the technique. Ivoclar hasn't gotten the FDA approval yet, but it should be coming.

This isn't a good option for all implants, especially like Straumanns's Bone Level that have high prices on their stock parts. But it would work for cases where the doctor is already using a "generic" implant system.

F

.:FIN:.

Reaction score
My Ivoclar rep came in today and brought up creating e.Max custom abutments. Basically, you buy a stock abutment for whatever implant system you are using and prep it down. Next you apply some kind of a substance that acts like opaque in conventional C&B(not sure on the specifics of this step). Then you wax the ideal shape of your final abutment on the prepped Ti stock abutment. Then sprue it up and press it in an MO ingot.

Are you sure that the stock abutment is titanium? Medentika have this kind of abutment already on market, but that one is made out of CrCo. They also offer ingots for this procedure, but I think that you can also use Ivoclars POM-ingots.

http://medentika.com/poc_ab_e.pdf

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score

There is an article in Feb edition of Spectrum Dialogue that details this technique called "The Press-on-Ceramics Abutment." The author does not say what type of pressable material he uses, but it is a good demo of the technique. Ivoclar hasn't gotten the FDA approval yet, but it should be coming.

This isn't a good option for all implants, especially like Straumanns's Bone Level that have high prices on their stock parts. But it would work for cases where the doctor is already using a "generic" implant system.

We do these all the time for provisionals, full contour screw retained, just press IN LT, stain and glaze then bond. Real fast and look great, just chop down a temp Ti abutment and use 3M RelyX.
Thats what I said!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Sorry K2, I missed your post. :)

Top Bottom