Has anybody made a custom abutment made of e.max ? Thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No and don't try it!

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I don't know any specifics but my rep mentioned in a recent email new ingots due out in 2012. In addition to the multi ingots there will be new ingots for the "NEW e.max Press Abutment". I would have to assume if this is for fab. custom abutments they would have to be pressed to a prefab interface, like the two part Zr abutments.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I don't know any specifics but my rep mentioned in a recent email new ingots due out in 2012. In addition to the multi ingots there will be new ingots for the "NEW e.max Press Abutment". I would have to assume if this is for fab. custom abutments they would have to be pressed to a prefab interface, like the two part Zr abutments.

He told me the same . He even told me he had tried some with MO 1 ingot at some training in Ivoclar's factory and Ivoclar's techs told him that it would be just fine . I will propably do one as an experiment for a doc ,#11 missing, a southern impants implant with a passive abutment if you are familiar with the system . Who knows , maybe it will work !!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What is the flexural strenth of this abutment?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I am not sure about that but I can ask the rep tomorow . It is interesting as a concept though . Jus wax-up , no precius alloys for costum abutments any more ! I am sure it has its limits and can't be pushed too far , but it would be nice if it worked even only for anteriors . Another weapon in our arsenal! And another use for e.max!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes it would be nice and it would be easy to do but it is not strong enough unless they have invented a new material I'm not aware of.

I think the Flexural Strength is about 400mpa. Do you think that is strong enough for a mesiostructure?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would be doing them in a heart beat if there were studies showing it's success but for now I'll wait for the gurus to take that chance.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I just looked it up . It is 400 indeed . I think it could be enough for some cases . Certanly not for extreme and ''tight'' occlusιοn . But for a normal occlusion why not ? I can imagine that it shouldn't be very ''tall''(if I am writing something not in the correct way please forgive me !) and if we have a big implant with plenty of room to make it thick enough around the screw hole it could work . I will try it and post some pictures . The next step is to find out how I am supossed to post them here LOL :D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you going to press over a titanium base? How will it be bond to the metal?

How will you mask the grey showing through the translucent ceramic?

Will it be screw retained or cementable?

R

rshark

Reaction score
Hi, just thought I would mention this while you are considering doing an abutment in Emax. Remember that emax, like all other all ceramic materials including zirconia, will undergo a phase change over 5 years in the oral environment. This will result in up to 50% reduction in flexural strength. Therefore you can imagine that your abutment may only have 200mpa after the phase change. Do you think this is strong enough? Remember the failed alumina abutments we all did in early procera abutments, and they had a starting flexural strength of 600 mpa. Food for thought??

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Are you going to press over a titanium base? How will it be bond to the metal?

How will you mask the grey showing through the translucent ceramic?

Will it be screw retained or cementable?

I will be cementable . This systems I am talking about , southern implants , has a titanium platform that is called ''passive abutment'' . This platform is cemented to the restoration after the porcelain is glazed , and its surface that contacts the implant's platform is prefabricated , not casted , so it has a perfect connection to the implant . It is a nice system , very lab-friendly because you can cast a custom abutment without having to cast it in precious alloy . Just wax the plastic part , then cast it , build up ,bake , glaze , cement the passive abutment and you have a cheap custom abutment . I am thinking doing the same with emax . I think I will be able to ''fool'' the translucensy by using MO or HO ingot , and in this case I have plenty of space , so it will be pretty thick and the light will just travel inside it , but not being able to go through it to turn it gray from the dark backround . And of course I will press a copping over the abutment , all ceramic baby!!! I don't know if it will work , I will do it as an experiment . Why not try something different ?

P.S. I will have ready a traditional custom abutment just in case!!!:D

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi, just thought I would mention this while you are considering doing an abutment in Emax. Remember that emax, like all other all ceramic materials including zirconia, will undergo a phase change over 5 years in the oral environment. This will result in up to 50% reduction in flexural strength. Therefore you can imagine that your abutment may only have 200mpa after the phase change. Do you think this is strong enough? Remember the failed alumina abutments we all did in early procera abutments, and they had a starting flexural strength of 600 mpa. Food for thought??

I don't know about the 50% reduction in flexural strengh for e.max , haven't read anything like that . I have read it for zirconium though . But zirconium isn't even ceramic I think . Try to laser weld it for fun , it will turn up like a good old metal framework ! I will just try to bend the rules I little , having the doc and the patient informed about this , and if it fails I will replace it . Why not having a bit fun and be creative ? This is what I love about this job! Maybe it is because I am only 27 yo and I am still an enthusiast about it!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
But there will still be a screw access hole to insert the crown/ abutment?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
But there will still be a screw access hole to insert the crown/ abutment?

Yes there will be . But this is a case I have big space , and the abutment will be pretty thick all around the hole . This is why I started thinking of it , because of the space . Let me start this case and I will post the results , good or bad .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I assume you will press in LT? I think you may encounter grey show through of the titanium.How long is the titanium interface in relation to the length of the crown? 1/3rd , 2/3rds?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I wish we could press zirconia.....watch Mark show us a secret pic :)

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I wish we could press zirconia.....watch Mark show us a secret pic :)

I have seen pressable zirconium in the IDS . Bredent had it . It was a prototype . I was pretty cool , although it didn't have the 1200 MPA flexural strengh ''normal'' zirconium has , it was about 800 . As for your other question I will press MO or HO . I think it will be better for hiding the dark area of the screw hole . Then I will press the coping again with MO full contour ,cut back and use insical , OE 1 , transpa blue , or something like that , or press HO and layer . I really think it could work as for the esthetics . The endurance of it is what worries me .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ok,this is sounding too much like work. If you could press the whole unit in LT with an incisal cutback then I could see the benefit(assuming the strength is sufficient).However when you have to press multiple times then you lose me.Baking emax over a zr substructure is just as easy.

Having said that,I am just like you and I would probably want to find out if it works too.

Looking forward to your pics.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Food for thought.
Straumann produces a e.max stock abutment for bone level RC platform implants. The abutment is 100% porcelain, no titanium interface. Somebody is trying to make it work. Check under Straumann at genieoss.com

Top Bottom