Dandy

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I only wish I could consistently charge 1100-1200 a crown, then all this talk of lab fees wouldn't be a problem at all. The previous post wasn't meant to attack labs, but hopefully shed some light as to what could create market pressures to decrease lab fees. However, there is a trend to try and ditch insurances which may act as a boon for the middle-higher end of the dental lab price market. I learned early in my career not to go with the cheapest nor go with the most expensive either. There has to be that balance. When I first started as a dentist, there was this DSO that would ship the cases to China and OMG, it was the worst. The quality was not acceptable at all. I ended up leaving shortly due to so many issues (besides the really bad labwork returned).

One of the greatest overheads is definitely staff members. What's driving a lot of the costs of staff is a shortage of dental assistants/hygienists and increased cost of living. It's definitely not fair to the labs as well, as you guys have families to support too and labs aren't always an apple to apples comparison either. However, with decreasing insurance fees, would it then be fair to use a cheaper lab for cheaper insurances, creating a two-tier system for crowns? I don't think I could pay 300/crown on a 543 dollar/unit reimbursement given the other overhead factored into executing the crown procedure.

Now, someone might say, why do you take insurance if they pay so poorly? A FFS office isn't always practical in every part of the country. Some regions are dominated by companies that provide a specific insurance - with dwindling disposable incomes, patients are trying to utilize in-network benefits more than out of network benefits to maximize what they receive in terms of treatment. The tradeoff with accepting insurance is having a larger volume of patients to keep your office sustainable v. a FFS office that may not necessarily have the patient flow to be sustainable. I don't take every insurance, but I do take a fair amount of insurances that actually pay what they promise, and there's a breakeven point that needs to be met to not lose money on a procedure with all costs taken into consideration. However, I don't think any of us really works towards the breakeven point, because then it means that our labor is worth zero; that applies to everyone, dentists and lab owners alike. We work to make a profit, but then the question is how much is enough and how much is too much?
I am still digesting all youve said in the last few posts you have made here. this thread has been very informative and has my old rusty gears turning and grinding anew. beyond that i just wanted to say THANK YOU! thank you for participating here and sharing some extremely well thought out posts with us all. its invigorating and refreshing to have you here and i hope you continue to stop by and offer your professional take on things.
cheers

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
T3 is definitely a great IOS and I love how the software can utilize upgraded hardware. I was never a fan of the laptops as I feel they are very underpowered and sometimes, proprietary BIOS'es and bloatware can make migration to a faster platform more difficult.

Here's a photo of my T3 setup. One of them is kinda shy and hiding. Both are desktops with battery backups so you can move it between ops with no disruption in work.

View attachment 40084
Awesome display of tech in that room. A lot of money sitting in there as well. No wonder your having fee reservations. Look at your costs. Not to rib you, but Lab fees are not your problem. It's the salesmen who sold you all that equipment and pitched all the money you would save on impression materials and chair time. You've gone bulldozer in a shovel situation, then wonder why no one wants to spend $1200 to dig a mailbox hole.
I applaud you for your adoption of digital dentistry and the learning of the technology, however because of your investment, your gonna have to go FFS with maybe 1 good in network if you have too.
Dentists have to face the fact that insurance companies are not your business partners but are the same as predatory lenders. Their job is to sit in a cubicle and cold call dentists to "loan you their customers" to help your business for a cut rate. Then hope outta fear of losing customers, you'll "make your payments."
I'm sure the ADA gets a kickback, otherwise they would tell you guys to stand against it.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Will someone explain to me how this works? I always here the the excuse for dentists wanting low priced crowns is that insurance only pays them $500-$550. But then I hear from the patients, either friends or people I meet and they find out I make crowns, that their insurance paid that amount then the pt pays another $200-$400 out of pocket on top of that. I've seen the itemized invoices. One of my cerec docs has an added line for her cerec crown if they decide to use that crown and it's an ADDED $150 for an e.max. So the patient pays an additional $150 for that service... meaning they still pay the regular fee if they had me make it PLUS $150 for the cerec crown!!
So what is the percentage of cases that doctors only take the insurance coverage without adding several hundred dollars on top? From what I consistently hear it's rare.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Will someone explain to me how this works? I always here the the excuse for dentists wanting low priced crowns is that insurance only pays them $500-$550. But then I hear from the patients, either friends or people I meet and they find out I make crowns, that their insurance paid that amount then the pt pays another $200-$400 out of pocket on top of that. I've seen the itemized invoices. One of my cerec docs has an added line for her cerec crown if they decide to use that crown and it's an ADDED $150 for an e.max. So the patient pays an additional $150 for that service... meaning they still pay the regular fee if they had me make it PLUS $150 for the cerec crown!!
So what is the percentage of cases that doctors only take the insurance coverage without adding several hundred dollars on top? From what I consistently hear it's rare.
Creative service fees. Honest doctors try to hold up to their contract and struggle. Some practices use salesmanship for "upgrades". Digital impression fee vs goop. Moist towelette fee. Custom shade appointment fee. Crown in a day or wait 3 weeks.

Like a restaurant, you get a meat and 2 sides. wanna add shrimp, $9, want a side salad add $5. Would you like dessert, that's $6. Diner's insurance covers your entree, but that's all. Insurance companies don't care about their customers. They got them a contract for a fee. As long as that contract was honered, insurance company doesn't care if they got fleeced with a $1200 crown cleaning kit as long as its outta pocket and not insurance companies money.

Its what I've seen a lot of younger dentists struggle with because they come at it honest, fair, and naive. Then wonder why they can't win in an arena of salesman. The lab man is the only guy on his side.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Its a lot of cynical and angry people in this thread. I feel like we've steered the discussion to be not squarely Dandy criticism though.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I don't see it so much as angry or cynical, just some members posting what's been on our minds for years, have been wondering about for years or questioning things as we hear it. Just trying to understand as labs continue to dwindle. And here we have a helpful and informative Dr who is willing to share things from his (Dr's) side. Kudos to you TanMan, and thank you :) Now regarding being off the Dandy topic, you bet :)

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Its a lot of cynical and angry people in this thread. I feel like we've steered the discussion to be not squarely Dandy criticism though.
Anger and Cynicism are terms often used to describe those who speak Truth.

As far as derailing this thread, you are correct, and I apologize.
2962410.gif

Salutations to TanMan for his contributions.

Now I'll go spend a night in the Box, I've got rabbit in my blood.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
Awesome display of tech in that room. A lot of money sitting in there as well. No wonder your having fee reservations. Look at your costs. Not to rib you, but Lab fees are not your problem. It's the salesmen who sold you all that equipment and pitched all the money you would save on impression materials and chair time. You've gone bulldozer in a shovel situation, then wonder why no one wants to spend $1200 to dig a mailbox hole.
I applaud you for your adoption of digital dentistry and the learning of the technology, however because of your investment, your gonna have to go FFS with maybe 1 good in network if you have too.
Dentists have to face the fact that insurance companies are not your business partners but are the same as predatory lenders. Their job is to sit in a cubicle and cold call dentists to "loan you their customers" to help your business for a cut rate. Then hope outta fear of losing customers, you'll "make your payments."
I'm sure the ADA gets a kickback, otherwise they would tell you guys to stand against it.

The problem isn't the equipment - equipment is all paid for and then some. The equipment is what allows me to operate at optimal speed/workflow without the bottlenecks of equipment. I can definitely understand the hardships that some of my colleagues are going through with that the huge note that they took out to finance cadcam equipment, but I've been fortunate enough to have generated enough equity to have the equipment paid for.

Pure FFS is not too feasible in my area. I am still able to make it work through volume, but I prefer predictability of reimbursement from insurances rather than empty promises from insurance. I dropped one insurance that was asking us to take them, offering higher fee schedules that everyone else. However, the reason we refuse to take them is due to the games that they play. They include downgrading/downcoding implants/bridges to partials, downgrading veneer/crown fees to composite fees, and downgrading composites to amalgams. I'd rather take a lower predictable fee schedule than having to waste significant administrative time chasing for payment. In my current setup, I can still accept 543 dollars for a crown and make an acceptable profit, but that may not necessarily be the case for other dentists that have relatively higher breakeven points OR are not fast enough to compensate via volume (as required by contracted fees to remain afloat). If I took an hour of chairtime to do an insurance crown, I'd probably be broke.

I've learned not to trust salespeople, but rather look at my office's objective needs and inefficiencies. The most important questions to ask any salesperson is: what applications does your equipment have, what's my ROI, how is it better than what we have right now, does it improve the quality without increasing cost, and how can I integrate it into my existing workflow? What you see in that photo is an addition of each equipment until I was able to saturate my work capacity and I became the limiting factor, rather than the equipment. I'm also a big fan of redundancy and think that relying on one piece of equipment as the cornerstone of your operations is not necessarily the smartest idea. That's why I have 2 vacuums, 2 compressors, a bunch of extra deployable computers/monitors/motors, etc... just so that there is virtually no downtime or waiting for service. An example is that if an op computer goes down, I don't have time to troubleshoot the darn thing. I'll just tell the staff to grab an extra computer in the back, switch out all the cables (it's all the same computer, a dell optiplex 3020) and just plug and play. Same deal with electric handpieces... if the motor control gives out, they just need to unplug the 5hole airwater, plug another one in, we can get it fixed once we're done with the day.

Anyway, going back full circle to Dandy, I think Dandy is a symptom or "perceived market need" as dentists are trying to reduce their capital investments but wanting the benefits of an digital IOS at the same time. The big variable is the quality of the lab(s) used by Dandy.

The common term is unbundling. I think it's horrendously shady and just a way for unscrupulous dentists/corporations to line their pockets. I know it's a common practice in corporate practices and some private practices, but I am thankful I don't have to do it. Some of the things that you'll commonly hear or see are things like, "porcelain upgrade fee", "periodontal irrigation", or "endodontic irrigation"; Those are just fancy terms for zirconia, irrigating with chlorhexidine during periodontal treatment, and irrigating with MTAD or Qmix during a root canal. I approach it another way: just be more efficient in your workflow and you won't have to create upcharges to compensate for your time.

Now, you may ask, what if the cost of providing a service exceeds the contracted compensation? I don't do it - I'll refer the procedure out. Some of the procedures that I can't make work are gingival grafts, impacted 3rds and dentures... so, I don't do them.

Creative service fees. Honest doctors try to hold up to their contract and struggle. Some practices use salesmanship for "upgrades". Digital impression fee vs goop. Moist towelette fee. Custom shade appointment fee. Crown in a day or wait 3 weeks.

Like a restaurant, you get a meat and 2 sides. wanna add shrimp, $9, want a side salad add $5. Would you like dessert, that's $6. Diner's insurance covers your entree, but that's all. Insurance companies don't care about their customers. They got them a contract for a fee. As long as that contract was honered, insurance company doesn't care if they got fleeced with a $1200 crown cleaning kit as long as its outta pocket and not insurance companies money.

Its what I've seen a lot of younger dentists struggle with because they come at it honest, fair, and naive. Then wonder why they can't win in an arena of salesman. The lab man is the only guy on his side.

Labs aren't the enemy, that's for sure, but the market pressures are definitely there for a lot of dentists and may be short sighted in trying to cut costs in certain areas that shouldn't really be cut - especially if it's been working out for them this long. I think it would be important for labs to emphasize the importance of a good lab, the long term benefits, lack of headache(s)/positive relationships in delivery, and the risk of switching to an unknown/cheaper lab. Sometimes, we can take things for granted that things just work without understanding that it takes a solid team to make things work seamlessly.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The problem isn't the equipment - equipment is all paid for and then some. The equipment is what allows me to operate at optimal speed/workflow without the bottlenecks of equipment. I can definitely understand the hardships that some of my colleagues are going through with that the huge note that they took out to finance cadcam equipment, but I've been fortunate enough to have generated enough equity to have the equipment paid for.

Pure FFS is not too feasible in my area. I am still able to make it work through volume, but I prefer predictability of reimbursement from insurances rather than empty promises from insurance. I dropped one insurance that was asking us to take them, offering higher fee schedules that everyone else. However, the reason we refuse to take them is due to the games that they play. They include downgrading/downcoding implants/bridges to partials, downgrading veneer/crown fees to composite fees, and downgrading composites to amalgams. I'd rather take a lower predictable fee schedule than having to waste significant administrative time chasing for payment. In my current setup, I can still accept 543 dollars for a crown and make an acceptable profit, but that may not necessarily be the case for other dentists that have relatively higher breakeven points OR are not fast enough to compensate via volume (as required by contracted fees to remain afloat). If I took an hour of chairtime to do an insurance crown, I'd probably be broke.

I've learned not to trust salespeople, but rather look at my office's objective needs and inefficiencies. The most important questions to ask any salesperson is: what applications does your equipment have, what's my ROI, how is it better than what we have right now, does it improve the quality without increasing cost, and how can I integrate it into my existing workflow? What you see in that photo is an addition of each equipment until I was able to saturate my work capacity and I became the limiting factor, rather than the equipment. I'm also a big fan of redundancy and think that relying on one piece of equipment as the cornerstone of your operations is not necessarily the smartest idea. That's why I have 2 vacuums, 2 compressors, a bunch of extra deployable computers/monitors/motors, etc... just so that there is virtually no downtime or waiting for service. An example is that if an op computer goes down, I don't have time to troubleshoot the darn thing. I'll just tell the staff to grab an extra computer in the back, switch out all the cables (it's all the same computer, a dell optiplex 3020) and just plug and play. Same deal with electric handpieces... if the motor control gives out, they just need to unplug the 5hole airwater, plug another one in, we can get it fixed once we're done with the day.

Anyway, going back full circle to Dandy, I think Dandy is a symptom or "perceived market need" as dentists are trying to reduce their capital investments but wanting the benefits of an digital IOS at the same time. The big variable is the quality of the lab(s) used by Dandy.

The common term is unbundling. I think it's horrendously shady and just a way for unscrupulous dentists/corporations to line their pockets. I know it's a common practice in corporate practices and some private practices, but I am thankful I don't have to do it. Some of the things that you'll commonly hear or see are things like, "porcelain upgrade fee", "periodontal irrigation", or "endodontic irrigation"; Those are just fancy terms for zirconia, irrigating with chlorhexidine during periodontal treatment, and irrigating with MTAD or Qmix during a root canal. I approach it another way: just be more efficient in your workflow and you won't have to create upcharges to compensate for your time.

Now, you may ask, what if the cost of providing a service exceeds the contracted compensation? I don't do it - I'll refer the procedure out. Some of the procedures that I can't make work are gingival grafts, impacted 3rds and dentures... so, I don't do them.

Labs aren't the enemy, that's for sure, but the market pressures are definitely there for a lot of dentists and may be short sighted in trying to cut costs in certain areas that shouldn't really be cut - especially if it's been working out for them this long. I think it would be important for labs to emphasize the importance of a good lab, the long term benefits, lack of headache(s)/positive relationships in delivery, and the risk of switching to an unknown/cheaper lab. Sometimes, we can take things for granted that things just work without understanding that it takes a solid team to make things work seamlessly.
Excellent post.

🏆

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
If I took an hour of chairtime to do an insurance crown, I'd probably be broke.

We slot 2 hours for crowns, and I see 2.5 all the time looking back at the schedule. This is why some of us are going broke...

But it's also why some labs are seeing crappy preps and crappier impressions. If I tried to move that fast I would totally be looking for a new lab every few months, because they would all fire me.

FFS here, so I charge well for the chair time.

Dandy seems perfect for what a guy with skills like you that doesn't want or can't get the capital to get their own CAD-CAM setup.

I ultimately have ended my experiment with Dandy, but I can't say enough great things about the idea. They are rapidly getting better in the things they need to as they grow, and maybe one day I will try it again.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I only wish I could consistently charge 1100-1200 a crown, then all this talk of lab fees wouldn't be a problem at all. The previous post wasn't meant to attack labs, but hopefully shed some light as to what could create market pressures to decrease lab fees. However, there is a trend to try and ditch insurances which may act as a boon for the middle-higher end of the dental lab price market. I learned early in my career not to go with the cheapest nor go with the most expensive either. There has to be that balance. When I first started as a dentist, there was this DSO that would ship the cases to China and OMG, it was the worst. The quality was not acceptable at all. I ended up leaving shortly due to so many issues (besides the really bad labwork returned).

One of the greatest overheads is definitely staff members. What's driving a lot of the costs of staff is a shortage of dental assistants/hygienists and increased cost of living. It's definitely not fair to the labs as well, as you guys have families to support too and labs aren't always an apple to apples comparison either. However, with decreasing insurance fees, would it then be fair to use a cheaper lab for cheaper insurances, creating a two-tier system for crowns? I don't think I could pay 300/crown on a 543 dollar/unit reimbursement given the other overhead factored into executing the crown procedure.

Now, someone might say, why do you take insurance if they pay so poorly? A FFS office isn't always practical in every part of the country. Some regions are dominated by companies that provide a specific insurance - with dwindling disposable incomes, patients are trying to utilize in-network benefits more than out of network benefits to maximize what they receive in terms of treatment. The tradeoff with accepting insurance is having a larger volume of patients to keep your office sustainable v. a FFS office that may not necessarily have the patient flow to be sustainable. I don't take every insurance, but I do take a fair amount of insurances that actually pay what they promise, and there's a breakeven point that needs to be met to not lose money on a procedure with all costs taken into consideration. However, I don't think any of us really works towards the breakeven point, because then it means that our labor is worth zero; that applies to everyone, dentists and lab owners alike. We work to make a profit, but then the question is how much is enough and how much is too much?

I know I acknowledged your post with an Informative, but in re-reading some of your replies, and of your 3rd paragraph especially, reminded me of the office that said they "weren't accepting this insurance because of," one of the bigger providers in this area, thus the loss of those patients.

I'm a one man lab, and at times can become a little myopic and lost in my own lab work and lose track of the other side of the Drs end. I don't want to sell myself short, but I also need to be understanding of the Drs side, and how I can accommodate them, not only with excellent personal service without giving it away, but also in not jeopardizing a good working relationship by my being unwilling to bend on some fees, especially those that are less labor intensive.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If IOS is a 'percieved market need' its because reps are pushing it, the magazines are pushing it, and dandy is of course pushing it. Nobody looking for an IOS has any real world experience of how they work until they pony up and buy one, use it for a year, and decide its not for them or its the best thing ever. I have a client who bought a brand new omnicam, he only uses it for aligners. Its just another tool and many successful offices have built the practice around IOS and chairside, others put it on ebay and take a loss.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If IOS is a 'percieved market need' its because reps are pushing it, the magazines are pushing it, and dandy is of course pushing it. Nobody looking for an IOS has any real world experience of how they work until they pony up and buy one, use it for a year, and decide its not for them or its the best thing ever. I have a client who bought a brand new omnicam, he only uses it for aligners. Its just another tool and many successful offices have built the practice around IOS and chairside, others put it on ebay and take a loss.
You don't see opportunity here?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I see opportunity everywhere, but I dont percieve that the market needs an IOS in every office, lent out to get crowns. When every office has a dandy ios in it, they will have seized their opportunity.. my market doesnt need or want Amazon dental.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have one Dr who still processes film xrays.. Im not sure hes a dandyman.

The dinosaur metaphor breaks down because IOS will not bring analog dentists to extinction, most use an intraoral camera all day anyways. It will allow new dentists to be lazy and resort to single unit mediocrity. Or you go the smiles by jonathan route, many opportunities, many tools.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
We slot 2 hours for crowns, and I see 2.5 all the time looking back at the schedule. This is why some of us are going broke...

But it's also why some labs are seeing crappy preps and crappier impressions. If I tried to move that fast I would totally be looking for a new lab every few months, because they would all fire me.

FFS here, so I charge well for the chair time.

Dandy seems perfect for what a guy with skills like you that doesn't want or can't get the capital to get their own CAD-CAM setup.

I ultimately have ended my experiment with Dandy, but I can't say enough great things about the idea. They are rapidly getting better in the things they need to as they grow, and maybe one day I will try it again.

Is that 2 hours for a chair (with other things like hygiene checks/fills/other procedures going on) or 2 hours dedicated only for that patient?

I think this is where clinicians need to thing about capital costs, ROI, and incorporation of the technology into their workflow. It's hard to make an informed decision when you have reps pushing a biased view of the technology and I think it is important to think about how to monetize the technology. How IOS has transformed my practice is that it allows me to see more patients in a given time period w/ faster lab turnaround times or same day rct/crown combos.

Some examples of technology that I have turned down include the Solea laser and 3d printing. I could not find a way to monetize either technology.

I bought a fair amount of mills and IOS's on ebay and it definitely saved me some money.