Stain Technique help

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am having issues with being able to see the individual particles of stain under magnification. I look at other labs crowns doing the same thing and cannot see the individual particles. What am I doing wrong? I use Ivocolor and Lusterpastes.
I use a programat 310
Zirconia
50c/min
vac from 400c -824c
825c max hold 1:30 I know this is too hot it seems to turn out better than when I run 770c.
Emax
50c/min
vac from 400c -770c
max 770 hold 2:30
I am a denture technician with some experience in crown and bridge educate me.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Try doing just a stain bake first and have a look.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by particles.specks?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
As long as the stain looks smooth and uniform, who's going to be looking at your crowns in vivio with a microscope? It will only be seen at a seating the crown distance, and at a normal conversation distance.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with being able to see the individual particles of stain under magnification. I look at other labs crowns doing the same thing and cannot see the individual particles. What am I doing wrong? I use Ivocolor and Lusterpastes.
I use a programat 310
Zirconia
50c/min
vac from 400c -824c
825c max hold 1:30 I know this is too hot it seems to turn out better than when I run 770c.
Emax
50c/min
vac from 400c -770c
max 770 hold 2:30
I am a denture technician with some experience in crown and bridge educate me.
Can you see the specks before you put them in the furnace? If so your stain may not have enough liquid mixed in well enough to wet the material. Or it might simplly be out of date or have had too much time in the wrong temperature. Just thinking out loud as much as anything, but that's what I'd check.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Car 54
It is not noticeable flaw for the patients. My brother(the dentist) says he hasn't seen this anywhere else.

JMN
The porcelain is less than 2 years old. It could be a mixing issue.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Car 54
It is not noticeable flaw for the patients. My brother(the dentist) says he hasn't seen this anywhere else.

JMN
The porcelain is less than 2 years old. It could be a mixing issue.
i had some older lustre paste stains do this. there was no way i could get them mixed better and it seemed to be speckled stain coverage.
i switched to miyo and ivocolor and havent seen that happen in years. what liquid are you using to mix them?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
i had some older lustre paste stains do this. there was no way i could get them mixed better and it seemed to be speckled stain coverage.
i switched to miyo and ivocolor and havent seen that happen in years. what liquid are you using to mix them?
Refresh Liquid for lusterpaste
DO water or essence fluid for ivocolor

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sounds like his brother is picking on him again.
I'm telling Mom.
MOOM! HE's touching me again!

Quit touching your brother.

(hovering finger 1cm away)
I'm not touching you not touching you not touching you.

Maaoom! He's not touching me!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
What does Dr Dad say?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Refresh Liquid for lusterpaste
DO water or essence fluid for ivocolor
use the ivocolor all around mixing liquid for ivocolor. (or insync liquid works too)
my solution for the lustre paste was to switch away from it. miyo colors and ivoclors are less grainy.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I agree with Tom, dump the Lustre and order MiYO. Who knows using MiYO, you may fool your brother into thinking your a ceramist after all. lol Laugh
As a last resort take the flat end of a metal cement spatula and try tapping/crushing up the mixed powders in the jar.

Last edited:
Z

ztech

Reaction score
I agree Dump the Lustre paste and any other stains you may have and go with MiYO. Actually, I kept my emax stains just for the intensity of a few of them, otherwise I do everything with MiYO.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
try using the IVOCLAR ZIRLINER BUILDUP LIQUID ALLROUND
I find thos gives a more even result with the ivocolor stains
also if you need to really darken a crown down , the more stain you need the more patchy i find it is

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't dump your old stains.
A real ceramist hangs onto every bottle they've accumulated over the years.
You know, just in case pfms make a comeback
aaaaaaand nope.

Top Bottom