Stain Technique help

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
18,467
Points
323
You mean like Will-Ceramic stains? ;) :)
Exactly.
We still use some powder stains with MIYO for certain effects like check lines etc. Don't tell anyone.
 
Car 54

Car 54

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
5,850
Points
223
Not to confuse the subject, but Shofu just came out with Vintage Art UNIVERSAL Stains. Can be used on everything. Low temp, 2 glaze powders, 2 types of liquids and developed by Yamamoto himself.


 
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
4,651
Points
123
Not to confuse the subject, but Shofu just came out with Vintage Art UNIVERSAL Stains. Can be used on everything. Low temp, 2 glaze powders, 2 types of liquids and developed by Yamamoto himself.


Yamamoto is one smart guru
havent seen or worked with these yet though. just love that guy
 
C

charles007

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
3,793
Points
93
I used their Vintage Arts Stains and really liked all the colors and how easy they were to use, But remember, their stains/pigments.
MiYO is 80%ceramic and 20 pigment.

Edit:
Another really great stain kit, Vita Akzent, all the colors in the rainbow and I used it for many+ years. but still not a ceramic stain. As easy as it is to use all these different brands of stain kits I still like the idea of using MiYO having 80% ceramic in the material on the crown.
 
Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
5,850
Points
223
I used their Vintage Arts Stains and really liked all the colors and how easy they were to use, But remember, their stains/pigments.
MiYO is 80%ceramic and 20 pigments.
I only use MiYO 20% of the time, and InSync the other 80%. Just a preference thing :)
 
C

charles007

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
3,793
Points
93
I only use MiYO 20% of the time, and InSync the other 80%. Just a preference thing :)
I bought the InSyns Kit just weeks after Jensen released it and now its aging in a drawer and use only MiYO.
Got a feeling Vintage Art Universal is like InSync ? not that I know !
 
Car 54

Car 54

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
5,850
Points
223
I bought the InSyns Kit just weeks after Jensen released it and now its aging in a drawer and use only MiYO.
I'm sure that is the same case for many now, MiYO users :)
 
C

charles007

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
3,793
Points
93
My all time favorites in the past were Akzent, Vintage Art and Ivocolor.
 
Car 54

Car 54

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
5,850
Points
223
Akzent, was that Jeneric Pentron?
 
OP
JKraver

JKraver

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
2,810
Points
93
Basically I was just dabbing the material off the top of the jar, because it was the right consistency. There must of been some clumping or non dispersion of the material. Now mixing it thoroughly in the morning has taken care of the problem. Danged basics. I just hate wasting what is left on the mixing instrument even if you wipe what you can off. I only needed a touch of something and am wasting a crown or twos worth.
 
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
4,651
Points
123
Basically I was just dabbing the material off the top of the jar, because it was the right consistency. There must of been some clumping or non dispersion of the material. Now mixing it thoroughly in the morning has taken care of the problem. Danged basics. I just hate wasting what is left on the mixing instrument even if you wipe what you can off. I only needed a touch of something and am wasting a crown or twos worth.
use your glazing brush to clean off the mixing tool and put it back in the jar ;)
 
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
18,467
Points
323
I take a dab of stain and a dab of glaze and mix the combo on a glass slab. apply like a paint by numbers picture.

2 dabs on the slab.
 
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Well-Known Member
Donator
Full Member
Messages
4,651
Points
123
I do, but I guess I am not as proficient as you.
do you have a well with an enclosure you can wipe the excess into? i have a tray with a lid that i wipe the brush on (instead of back in the jar)
even if it sits for a couple days i can just dip the very tip of the brush into some liquid and mix it up some....back to usable consistency

*edit* i have a tray with like 30 small wells and a large center well. i use the center well for the glaze, and the smaller wells for stains and stain combinations.
 
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Well-Known Member
Full Member
Messages
18,467
Points
323
I use a wishing well with a hope this effing works camel toe hair brush.
 
Guest Room
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Room has been pruned!
    Chat Bot: Room has been pruned!
    Top Bottom