Straumann Anodizing.........

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
So has anyone other then straumann figured out good techniques to get a nice gold anodizing on their abutments? I have polished the living piss out of them and still muted yellow results. Everyone else's i nail pretty good at 63volts. Just straumanns suck. I know it has been asked many years ago. Just checking.

Thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So has anyone other then straumann figured out good techniques to get a nice gold anodizing on their abutments? I have polished the living piss out of them and still muted yellow results. Everyone else's i nail pretty good at 63volts. Just straumanns suck. I know it has been asked many years ago. Just checking.

Thanks
Leads me to wonder if they are using a different Ti grade than most. Hmmm.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm at 65v and like the results. It may not be as gold as Atlantis gold hue, but it looks nice, yet this is mainly with Zimmer and BioHorizons.
By the way Sevan, nice job with your article in the Feb. JDT :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I'm at 65v and like the results. It may not be as gold as Atlantis gold hue, but it looks nice, yet this is mainly with Zimmer and BioHorizons.
By the way Sevan, nice job with your article in the Feb. JDT :)

Thanks Bud! Was fun writing it. Will be speaking for them in Lab Day west as well.

65v on straumann? If i polish tru abutment, nobel, argen and implant direct they freaking pop but not straumann.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Then JMN is probably right?
I haven't tried 65v on a Straumann yet, as I rarely get any of those in my lab.
I use about 1:1 of TSP and baking soda for my solution in distilled water.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Then JMN is probably right?
I haven't tried 65v on a Straumann yet, as I rarely get any of those in my lab.
I use about 1:1 of TSP and baking soda for my solution in distilled water.
Why the baking soda? I'm at 5gm or 1 TBS of TSP to 1 liter of water. Works great until you start running out of hydrogen. Just make a new batch

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
In watching about 3 Youtube videos, one of them mentioned the old vets who anodize also used baking soda to get better results.
They said the more the better, but I'm not sure where it would go. I've tried 2pts baking soda, looked good.
This is at 65v..if I went to 63-64, it started looking more yellow. Maybe I could do better or get better results?

edit: I do now know to wax out the platform and the hex before anodizing.

IMG_20190505_175824.jpg

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Try doing the initial anodizing at 12v, its like a bronze. Then raise it up to 63-65v. May not help, but thats whats on my instructions. I just use TSP and it seems to work well

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In watching about 3 Youtube videos, one of them mentioned the old vets who anodize also used baking soda to get better results.
They said the more the better, but I'm not sure where it would go. I've tried 2pts baking soda, looked good.
This is at 65v..if I went to 63-64, it started looking more yellow. Maybe I could do better or get better results?

edit: I do now know to wax out the platform and the hex before anodizing.

View attachment 34820
To prevent an area from anodizing, it needs to be insulated from the liquid. Something like vaseline even.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Try doing the initial anodizing at 12v, its like a bronze. Then raise it up to 63-65v. May not help, but thats whats on my instructions. I just use TSP and it seems to work well
Yeah the videos say one step at a time. I use a tsp water mixture as well. But this straumann Ti is something different. If they anodize it man it pops.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
To prevent an area from anodizing, it needs to be insulated from the liquid. Something like vaseline even.

That was my understanding too, and why I use wax (electric waxer). So far for me, wax has given me the best control, but I like the ideas of what
some of you all are doing.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Nice tip Affinity, I'll give it a try :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That was my understanding too, and why I use wax (electric waxer). So far for me, wax has given me the best control, but I like the ideas of what
some of you all are doing.
My eyes crossed when I read that. I saw it as 'I do not know' instead of what you actually typed "I do now know".
Whoops!

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Straumann doesn't anodize theirs. They use Titannium nitride deposition using a sealed chamber.
Pretty impressive set-up and obviously out of reach for most labs.
They have 2 types of Titanium in their pro.duct line: Titanium and TAN, which might explain your mixed results. One of them is an alloy that I believe makes it easier to apply porcelain (titanium porcelain)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good information. Is that the same process that Atlantis uses to create the Gold Hue on their abutments, titanium nitride?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What do you guys use to anodize (equipment)? How 'expensive' is it? I don't have any knowledge about it, but I think it would be nice to offer it as an additional service to my clients.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I like Straumann's nitrate deposition however they need to add retentive grooves to their custom abutment options.
The surface area is too smooth and I end up grinding my own grooves which defeats the nitrate purpose.