Straumann Anodizing.........

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What do you guys use to anodize (equipment)? How 'expensive' is it? I don't have any knowledge about it, but I think it would be nice to offer it as an additional service to my clients.
It can be had for less dough if you source the DC power supply and other items from a supplier rather than buying a kit

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Or, just hook some batteries up in tandem.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
After looking at some Gold Hue images, I can see why some of you may like 63v better, a brighter, gold yellow.
I'll play around with some abutments and try 12v first, then go to 63 and see what I get.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Try doing the initial anodizing at 12v, its like a bronze. Then raise it up to 63-65v. May not help, but thats whats on my instructions. I just use TSP and it seems to work well

That came out nice. I'll do this for the next group of abutments, including the single central for today.

On cementable anteriors. where the abutment may not be to far subgingivally, do any of you ever anodize the emergence
in pink, then the restorative part of the abutment in yellow gold? Or, is the gold hue always going to look better for the
whole abutment?

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I like Straumann's nitrate deposition however they need to add retentive grooves to their custom abutment options.
The surface area is too smooth and I end up grinding my own grooves which defeats the nitrate purpose.

This isn't anodized yet, but here's what I use to create my retention grooves.

2020-2-7 10-8-37.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Here you go my friend...SS White EL #1 H.S. (ref# 16101)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
nice Car, I assume you anodized after retenting( my new word).
I don't have that luxury when outsourceing so I use a brass bristle brush instead.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yep, just anodized it now...after retenting :)

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Yep, just anodized it now...after retenting :)
Sorry to side track the thread's flow (I know, this never happened before...),but how long does it take to anodize?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
like 2th said, seconds...you just touch the probe to the unit, and it kinda bubbles due to the reaction. I tend to hit it 3 times, and chase it around a bit in the strainer that it sits in, in the solution. I'm sure it's done doing what it's going to be doing at the 1st touch of the probe, but I just like to be sure.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It's a more involved process that they use, let alone to make money off of it. I believe its the same process straumann uses, Titannium nitride.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thank you! Makes me wonder, now, what's the reasoning behind Atlantis' 50 dollar surcharge on anodizing...
Lol, to get $50 out of your wallet for something that takes no time really.

Really if they are nitride coating it there is specialized equipment for it and from what I understand is quite toxic.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Lol, to get $50 out of your wallet for something that takes no time really.

And can be set up very inexpensively...it could pay for itself after 6 -12 units, depending on what you buy to set it up. More units for the P.P. kit.

AlexR

AlexR

Reaction score
My problem with the straumann abutments is that often the surface color can be inconsistent from spot to spot on the same abutment. To fix that I treat our straumann abutments with Multi-Etch before anodizing which gives a more consistent result. If you do use Multi-etch though, you'll want to reduce the voltage when anodizing, somewhere between 40 and 50 depending on your desired result.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just wonder why the Dr charges $150 for anodizing.. Dontknow

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
My problem with the straumann abutments is that often the surface color can be inconsistent from spot to spot on the same abutment. To fix that I treat our straumann abutments with Multi-Etch before anodizing which gives a more consistent result. If you do use Multi-etch though, you'll want to reduce the voltage when anodizing, somewhere between 40 and 50 depending on your desired result.

You got pics of struamnn abutments done this way?