Sending a abutment design for milling at a Straumann approved local lab

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I just found out that labs can get certified to mill straumann abutments in house. There is a lab near me that is set up to do this. What I don't know is how I would export the stl file from my abutment design so I could send it to this lab for milling. This may be a question for Straumann tech support, but I figured I would try here first. I am designing with 3Shape and once I close the design software it immediately prompts me to send the abutment file to straumann. I don't see where I can extract the STL from the order to send it elsewhere. Anyone have experience with this?

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
normally youd choose the explore cam option, but since it may not generate that try the advanced explore order, then CAD folder, look around somewhere there. Or you can get it set up so that the external lab in the order form is them, that way it will send to them instead of straumann.... theres a couple different ways.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
normally youd choose the explore cam option, but since it may not generate that try the advanced explore order, then CAD folder, look around somewhere there. Or you can get it set up so that the external lab in the order form is them, that way it will send to them instead of straumann.... theres a couple different ways.
I did look in the CAD folder. It only has the *** file for the abutment, but not the STL. Is there a way to convert DCM to STL? I think you may be on to something about setting up an external lab in the order form.

D

DianaZ

Reaction score
I did look in the CAD folder. It only has the *** file for the abutment, but not the STL. Is there a way to convert DCM to STL? I think you may be on to something about setting up an external lab in the order form.
There's conversion software (e.g., Crossmanager) out there that can do it for you, but what I do is create a new dummy order, import the design as a scan (upper or lower, depending),then use the 3Shape "Export Scan" option. It's a little fiddly, but it works!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
There's conversion software (e.g., Crossmanager) out there that can do it for you, but what I do is create a new dummy order, import the design as a scan (upper or lower, depending),then use the 3Shape "Export Scan" option. It's a little fiddly, but it works!
Can you walk me through this. I created a dummy order for a digital impression with a random tooth. Then I clicked on the dummy order and hit import scan. I navigated to a straumann abutment case and opened the order and then opened the CAD folder. I chose the DCM file of the abutment from that order. When I click on open, I get an error that says it's an encrypted file.

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
Can you walk me through this. I created a dummy order for a digital impression with a random tooth. Then I clicked on the dummy order and hit import scan. I navigated to a straumann abutment case and opened the order and then opened the CAD folder. I chose the DCM file of the abutment from that order. When I click on open, I get an error that says it's an encrypted file.
set yourself up as manufacturer and it may let you generate a cam output depending on the platform

D

DianaZ

Reaction score
Hmm, I haven't had that happen before --but I admit I've never done this with abutments, only other types of appliances, and my procedure is what you've described. It does look like you may be able to access the CAM stl directly if you have local manufacturing set up, though. Otherwise, I think you would need to use the file conversion software (there are a bunch of online services that will do it, too, either free or low-cost). I'm really sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
in 3shape, you would have Straumann TS load the dme. file and you would choose the order for x manufacturing from the drop down list...
been a while.. ill need to figure this out for Exocad soon tho.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hmm, I haven't had that happen before --but I admit I've never done this with abutments, only other types of appliances, and my procedure is what you've described. It does look like you may be able to access the CAM stl directly if you have local manufacturing set up, though. Otherwise, I think you would need to use the file conversion software (there are a bunch of online services that will do it, too, either free or low-cost). I'm really sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
No, your thought process was good. Its just if I set an order up in my 3Shape for straumann, it won't let me set up anyone else as the manufacturer other than straumann. I send cases to Imagine for milling my Keystone abutments. That workflow creates an STL that I upload on their website. They also mill Straumann abutments. I am going to try creating an order using their DMEs for a Straumann case. That should create the STL for the abutment design I need. I just need to make sure the warranty through Straumann is still good and that this lab can mill the abutments on their straumann mill. Thanks for the reply. This helped me think this through.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
in 3shape, you would have Straumann TS load the dme. file and you would choose the order for x manufacturing from the drop down list...
been a while.. ill need to figure this out for Exocad soon tho.
I can't choose any other manufacturer other than straumann using their DMEs.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I believe you need Straumann dme specifically for this application to export it thru an approved Straumann workflow such as your milling partner
I can look into it further

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I believe you need Straumann dme specifically for this application to export it thru an approved Straumann workflow such as your milling partner
I can look into it further
The local lab I want to mill my Straumann abutments has found out they will need to invest in some software straumann sells in order to mill abutments that another lab designs. If I was a lab that bought Straumanns mill, their printer and their design software and was then told that in order for me to mill an abutment that another lab designs, I would need to invest in more software, I would not be happy.

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
The local lab I want to mill my Straumann abutments has found out they will need to invest in some software straumann sells in order to mill abutments that another lab designs. If I was a lab that bought Straumanns mill, their printer and their design software and was then told that in order for me to mill an abutment that another lab designs, I would need to invest in more software, I would not be happy.
which mill they using

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
was with the last lab milling Straumann abutments, nothing but problems... the only upside was the pricing to mill in Arlington when the mill was down
also have another Straumann milling lab popping up here locally, I'm sure we will see more

I am not aware of any software we needed.. things change in a year

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I'm not sure. All I know is they have a "Straumann mill" that allows them to mill their Straumann authentic abutments.
Had an incident with their abutment milling, received and placed on the model with a lab screw (RC) and went ahead and finished the case. My big mistake was not checking Their supplied screw in Their abutment. Got a call from the Dr. saying he couldn't engage and had to return it, single central, no biggy. Such a pain all around and it turned out Their abutment screw channel was under-milled and or Their screw. Wasn't at all impressed.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
the RC screw comes in the blank packaging.. the internals are pre-milled (pre-milled blank)
or, they aren't using Straumann blanks. its possible they are using medentika blanks on Straumann RC's.. which is likely the case because the screw is separate and confusingly marked by series

Top Bottom