What kind of zirconia do you use most? Why?

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
Never substitute anyones judgement for your own. Do the work. This is a color test. 3 different Zrs, colored with a variety of liquids.. Seem like work? I do it with each Zr. Thats how I found what works. The next month I discovered precolored Zr. It wasnt a waste though. Now I know I can use Changs color to tweek everything.
View attachment 32596
XT is nice. Its strong, slightly opaque so you can easily mask an amalgam. Its decent for posteriors, but youd never put one in the anterior with out layering. This is an XT I did some time back...
View attachment 32595

2M1 and 3M1? Katana STML. (A-1 and C-1) You need to play with how close to the incisal you want the crown placed. Im guessing you use Hyperdent. By default it wants to center the units.

Im not even going to comment on Imagine.

If you need super strong but want maybe more trans than XT, Id look at the Origin materials from B&D. They have a good variety of materials and are coming out with something new and exciting very soon.All there stuff sinters on the same cycle, and its flexible. The appearance changes, but its user preference. (1500 to 1550)

There are guys here that love NexxZr. Its good too.

Katana STML has made me very happy, but its limited by its strength.

Lava? too opaque and bright.

Changs and Pritidenta...not my favs.

@rc75 sells stuff that some like alot.

The list is long. Do you get the trade magazines? Every month theres something new.

I have many, many pages of shade experiments. I have made what I have work, but it was a struggle. You are on a better path by trying different Zr. Thank you very much for the extensive list. I'll start at the top with the Katana and Origin. Is there a liquid you prefer for either? Have you used Lava Plus Liquid on either?

My Dad and I work together. In my defense, he drives an '88 Chevy he bought brand new. I guess I've been doing the same thing with my Zr. We are always so busy (lab techs in general),sometimes it's hard to deviate from standard practice and try new things. Thank you for making me consider other options.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im using precolored katana STML for most things, but the Origin is nice too. On the Origin, Im over heating the sinter cycle on purpose; I like the look better but it loses a lot of the color on the preshaded pucks. Since youre used to coloring, Id just go straight to Origins white and color yourself. They recommend the 6.1 version of their color, 60 second dip. In the '70' strength, I think the color is too strong, so I do 40 seconds. They have a slightly stronger (60) and a slightly weaker (80) version of the 6.1 liquids. Me personally, I think Id order the weaker and dip for the full 60 seconds, but they will send you samples to try before you commit. All made in the USA! and great folks to work with.

With your current material, XT, I never liked the lava liquids. The colors are off a bit and I think the Lava tends to opaque things just a bit. I much prefered the Aquarell liquids from Zirkon Zahn.

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
Im using precolored katana STML for most things, but the Origin is nice too. On the Origin, Im over heating the sinter cycle on purpose; I like the look better but it loses a lot of the color on the preshaded pucks. Since youre used to coloring, Id just go straight to Origins white and color yourself. They recommend the 6.1 version of their color, 60 second dip. In the '70' strength, I think the color is too strong, so I do 40 seconds. They have a slightly stronger (60) and a slightly weaker (80) version of the 6.1 liquids. Me personally, I think Id order the weaker and dip for the full 60 seconds, but they will send you samples to try before you commit. All made in the USA! and great folks to work with.

With your current material, XT, I never liked the lava liquids. The colors are off a bit and I think the Lava tends to opaque things just a bit. I much prefered the Aquarell liquids from Zirkon Zahn.
Thank you!

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
I received the Katana Zr today. They were very kind to send me free discs to try. My sintering oven only goes up to 1530. I see a new sintering oven in my future.Until then, I'll have to wait on the STML and the UTML. Will I run into the same problem considering you overfire origin?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I received the Katana Zr today. They were very kind to send me free discs to try. My sintering oven only goes up to 1530. I see a new sintering oven in my future.Until then, I'll have to wait on the STML and the UTML. Will I run into the same problem considering you overfire origin?
What oven do you have?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Remember the days when Issaquah milling center was one of the bigger labs to outsource zirconia to. I think they had bought 2 of the huge 3m/lava mills and when they wanted to buy 3 more, they had to reinforce their floor to be able to handle the extra weight.

They also provided these handy little shade guides.

C

CJK Dental Lab

Reaction score
Talladium for the past few months. Been happy with them. Going to try Beyond Zirconia soon.

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
Trying Nexxzr next. I have tried some private label Zr from a local lab. Not impressed so far with the pre-shaded. Does anyone add liquid to pre-shaded Zr?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Changs colors work well to add details...some gray to incisals, warmth to central fossa. White opak to block Ti abutments.

doug

doug

Reaction score
We're moving more towards shaded, layered zirconia. Using Miyo has made it a game changer, and no chemicals to spoil the sintering oven.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
Which liquids are you using?
Sorry for the super late reply... I’ve been too busy to be on the forum. I’m using ivoclar emax zircad coloring liquid. Not the LT. supposedly Sagemax got coloring liquids, but I’m trying to stay away from nexxzr. I’ve been on katana stml’s for all my worth doctors and the doctors that want a discounted price, throw them the nexxzr +, but I can assure you nexxzr + preshaded compared to the katana stml is a big difference. Katana got it down fsho. Got the HTML’s in last week but I haven’t tried them yet so we’ll see what the difference is with the stml and html

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the super late reply... I’ve been too busy to be on the forum. I’m using ivoclar emax zircad coloring liquid. Not the LT. supposedly Sagemax got coloring liquids, but I’m trying to stay away from nexxzr. I’ve been on katana stml’s for all my worth doctors and the doctors that want a discounted price, throw them the nexxzr +, but I can assure you nexxzr + preshaded compared to the katana stml is a big difference. Katana got it down fsho. Got the HTML’s in last week but I haven’t tried them yet so we’ll see what the difference is with the stml and html
Well, lets guess the diffference is sms-text markup language vs hypertext markup language.

Man I've been holding that in a while.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
We use origin beyond plus. Great product. Their liquids work well. Especially, their 3d shade liquids. Thats the real winner right there.

R

RypeSnicks

Reaction score
Katana is getting rid of the ML Zirconia and switching completely to the HTML. Does anyone have recommendations on a similar Zirconia manufacturer? We PreStain ourselves. So just need a new polish zirconia block