What kind of zirconia do you use most? Why?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Katana is getting rid of the ML Zirconia and switching completely to the HTML. Does anyone have recommendations on a similar Zirconia manufacturer? We PreStain ourselves. So just need a new polish zirconia block
So no more STML or UTML? Bull

R

RypeSnicks

Reaction score
Only mentioned that because I don't want useless recommendations on Pre Shaded discs.

L

lcsmith0000

Reaction score
1572437911593.png
Screenshot from today(10-30-2019) on the Noritake site. It looks like "HTML" is just a overhaul of ML. UTML and STML and HT are still there.
Currently we use Emax MT Multi on all the shades that are available from Ivoclar (A1,A2,A3,B1,B2,C2,D2) and Katana UTML on all the other shades.
We use Argen HT+ pre shaded (use coloring liquid for the incisal) on larger spans from 4 units and up.
I have Ivoclar Prime but have been very disappointed in the look of it. The body is too opaque and bright but the incisal looks good. (To Pat: sintered in a sintra plus using the same parameters as the MT Multi and calibration rings say the oven is calibrated)

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Dito I am with Brett. ZirCad Multi Mt, almost exclusively. But depending on the case, LT or even MO. Looking forward to try the new ZirCad Prime pucks, which will be available in more shades (finally!!!)
I'm thinking of using ZirCAD Multi MT exclusively...how has your results been? Any breakage problems in posterior?

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
View attachment 34136
Screenshot from today(10-30-2019) on the Noritake site. It looks like "HTML" is just a overhaul of ML. UTML and STML and HT are still there.
Currently we use Emax MT Multi on all the shades that are available from Ivoclar (A1,A2,A3,B1,B2,C2,D2) and Katana UTML on all the other shades.
We use Argen HT+ pre shaded (use coloring liquid for the incisal) on larger spans from 4 units and up.
I have Ivoclar Prime but have been very disappointed in the look of it. The body is too opaque and bright but the incisal looks good. (To Pat: sintered in a sintra plus using the same parameters as the MT Multi and calibration rings say the oven is calibrated)
I'm thinking of using ZirCAD Multi MT exclusively...how has your results been? Any breakage problems in posterior?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
For us, we stick with one zirconia brand(Zir Cad) so we don't need to worry about different sintering programs. We only had one sintering oven for the first three years when we started milling zirconia in house. I also don't want a huge inventory of zirconia pucks. We use the pure LT and pure MT zircad pucks for all our monolithic restorations. We stock one 20 mm pucks of each of the preshaded zircad LT pucks for our layered cases. Keeps the inventory streamlined. We will add one more multi layer zirconia puck(Zircad Prime most likely) once we get a better mill.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have not had breakage issues. But I am rather conservative when it comes to respecting minimal thickness and also when it comes to firing parameters (Not that I've heard of any breakage issues with Multi MT). I think the only limitation, for now, is the limited shade range. But I have been told this should change soon (That was before the Virus craziness, though, so who knows...). In general, I like the esthetics Multi MT offers for single crowns and small (!) bridges. Prime works, too, but it has consistency issues. Multi is much more esthetic, though.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I have not had breakage issues. But I am rather conservative when it comes to respecting minimal thickness and also when it comes to firing parameters (Not that I've heard of any breakage issues with Multi MT). I think the only limitation, for now, is the limited shade range. But I have been told this should change soon (That was before the Virus craziness, though, so who knows...). In general, I like the esthetics Multi MT offers for single crowns and small (!) bridges. Prime works, too, but it has consistency issues. Multi is much more esthetic, though.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Yeah they added 5 shades (BL3, A3.5, C1, C3, D3)

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Yeah they added 5 shades (BL3, A3.5, C1, C3, D3)
So we have changed what we are using now. I still use Zircad LT for any Bruxir type cases. for esthetic zirconia cases, I use Sagemax Multi if its a base Vita shade I am matching. Otherwise, I use the Zircad MTBL if it is a more complicated shade.

L

lcsmith0000

Reaction score
The only breakage problems we had with Emax Multi MT seemed to be on cases where we broke the rules (not enough occlusal thickness due to under prepared teeth ranks the highest, then using on bridge spans that exceeded the limit). We have since switched to Argen's Multi ST because we started having all kinds of trouble with the consistency of shades after the Sagemax acquisition. This was also before Ivoclar recently released the new shades that are available now. We've been very happy with the results we've been getting from the Argen zirconias.

L

lcsmith0000

Reaction score
Anyone using multi preshaded from Argen yet? I know it's fairly new, but was curious?
We are using both the Argen Z HT+ preshaded and the Argen Z ST Multilayer with good results. HT+ (45% translucency and 1250 MPa) where we need the extra strength and ST Multi(50% Translucency and 850 MPa) on everything else.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
ANYONE interested in trying our Multilayer Plus material I will gladly
send you a FREE sample. Free puck Free shipping ( Continental U.S )

1050 MPa - Strong enough for full mouth restorations
48 % Translucency - Very Natural looking in the mouth
We offer all 16 Vita Shades

TD Dental Supply (877) 358-5833 - (626) 641-0856

C

charles007

Reaction score
Ron, is 1050 MPa ok for full mouth cases ?
Y ?
Being out of the lab for almost 2 years I can't remember the minimum ? 1050 would seem scary to me, but maybe I'm wrong ?
Someone, please educate me, catch me up to speed on zirconia.. Dontknow

Last edited:
rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Ron, is 1050 MPa ok for full mouth cases ?
Y ?
Being out of the lab for almost 2 years I can't remember the minimum ? 1050 would seem scary to me, but maybe I'm wrong ?
Someone, please educate me, catch me up to speed on zirconia.. Dontknow

Anything over 1000 MPa is strong enough for full mouth. I have PLENTY of labs that use this material for full mouth
restorations with ZERO problems.

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
The only breakage problems we had with Emax Multi MT seemed to be on cases where we broke the rules (not enough occlusal thickness due to under prepared teeth ranks the highest, then using on bridge spans that exceeded the limit). We have since switched to Argen's Multi ST because we started having all kinds of trouble with the consistency of shades after the Sagemax acquisition. This was also before Ivoclar recently released the new shades that are available now. We've been very happy with the results we've been getting from the Argen zirconias.
Awesome Thank you!

KTR

KTR

Reaction score
We use Origin Beyond Plus for 90 % and Origin Live for the very tight bites. Been using both for many years and we have tried most on the market but don't see any reason to change when you have consistency already.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Zirkonzahn prettau2 dispersive for me 1100mpa margin to incisal ,transition translucency is really good if you want to do custom staining its great on top of built in colour .i can match it to veneers easily and do full arches in it . In fact 1100mpa is the weakeast it gets ,as thats the strength of b4 a4 shades it actually gets up to 1300mpa for a1 b1 shades i always quote the lowest number to my clients.

Top Bottom