printed denture

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My money is on the printed denture.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Look at how much more productive digital technology has made C&B. One guy can do what used to require three people. Why would we not want that on the removable side? We already have the required technology for digital dentures. There are some materials trickling out from a couple companies. We're going to start beta testing digital dentures this month and I CAN'T WAIT! Vroam

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
I can't wait for the profit margin on a printed/digital denture is as low as a FCZ. Or lower. LOL!! Am I the only one saying "Let the race to the floor begin"?? I just saw a Facebook post about a Dr. who is giving courses on "high end" printed/milled dentures LOL!!! The guy is maybe 30 years old!! Oh, and of course there is Lee Culp, right in the middle of this Facebook ad.

Mill this......

Attachments

• DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 65
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I can't wait for the profit margin on a printed/digital denture is as low as a FCZ. Or lower. LOL!! Am I the only one saying "Let the race to the floor begin"?? I just saw a Facebook post about a Dr. who is giving courses on "high end" printed/milled dentures LOL!!! The guy is maybe 30 years old!! Oh, and of course there is Lee Culp, right in the middle of this Facebook ad.

Mill this......

Do you think the dentists prices will also go lower... The answer is no, we will be forced to be the mc-d's of dentures. I'll retire first.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score

Mill this......
I live near Lee Culp's Studio. He invited me over through Facebook some time ago. What is he about? I see that he teaches digital dentures for $5,000 per coarse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Look at how much more productive digital technology has made C&B. One guy can do what used to require three people. Why would we not want that on the removable side? We already have the required technology for digital dentures. There are some materials trickling out from a couple companies. We're going to start beta testing digital dentures this month and I CAN'T WAIT! Vroam

It runs me about $10.00 to make a conventional denture in material costs.
The LMT average resale without teeth is about $350.00 per arch and that's low.
Bill out 2-F/F a day. $1400.00 -$40.00 = $1360.00 pre tax

Based on latest stats from JDT and LMT 49% of c and b labs are making less profit
and 42% of removable labs are making more profit. Difference between the 2 is that c and b has embraced digital
and only 1% of the dentures made last year were fabricated digitally.
The object of the game is make profit. Problem is too many guys thinking with their lab coats on.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So 51% of c & b labs are making the same or more profit .

Employees are more expensive than scanners,printers and mills.

I don't have to wear a lab coat on weekends anymore.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
It runs me about $10.00 to make a conventional denture in material costs.
The LMT average resale without teeth is about $350.00 per arch and that's low.
Bill out 2-F/F a day. $1400.00 -$40.00 = $1360.00 pre tax

Based on latest stats from JDT and LMT 49% of c and b labs are making less profit
and 42% of removable labs are making more profit. Difference between the 2 is that c and b has embraced digital
and only 1% of the dentures made last year were fabricated digitally.
The object of the game is make profit. Problem is too many guys thinking with their lab coats on.
Well, I don't care much about the profit of other labs. I care about the profit of ours. Embracing digital technology has increased our profit margin pretty dramatically. Bottom line is up. That's what matters to me. I expect dentures to do the same.

Lighthouse

Lighthouse

Reaction score
Nextdent isn't the only one. FormLabs has been teasing denture material too. Some people complain about FL's accuracy, but their clear Dental LT resin has been working great for nightguards.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
So 51% of c & b labs are making the same or more profit .

Employees are more expensive than scanners,printers and mills.

I don't have to wear a lab coat on weekends anymore.

So following that thought, if employees are so expensive, why would labs embracing digital show a decrease in profit with fewer employees?

By the way including the same profit percentage, 72% of denture labs showed an increase or remained the same.

I don't know many businesses that can profit $340.00 pre tax for a $10.00 investment in materials, but I'm sure people will find a way to Fxxx that up too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"So following that thought, if employees are so expensive, why would labs embracing digital show a decrease in profit with fewer employees?"

I don't know,I'm showing profit.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
"So following that thought, if employees are so expensive, why would labs embracing digital show a decrease in profit with fewer employees?"

I don't know,I'm showing profit.
Us too. Just like any other business. Some succeed, some fail.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
One big difference in opinions here I think comes from the difference in size of the businesses.

I can see if your a one man/women shop pushing the uniqueness and quality of your craftsmanship opposing the digital side of things.

On the flip side if your an employer of many techs your always looking for ways improve consistency and digital is enticing for that.

Different strokes for different folks you gotta remember your way may work for your business but it may would run another one in the ground.

I for one employ 5 techs and am very interested in digital. Not saying I’m jumping in full bore but it’s enticing. We are having trouble hiring. So if digital can enable us to produce more with less people then it’s something we have to atleast look at.

It also could also help on the hiring end of things. Everyone agrees denture techs are dying off and there not being replaced. Some will say just hire someone off the street and teach them the craft. Well we’ve tried, and I’m fully aware that it could be our teaching but what ever it is hiring and training techs is not my strength. Currently I’m batting about 25% of my hires working out. 3 out of 4 I hire is here for 3-6 months then let go for various reasons. A lot of money wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Dentures are a different animal than c$b, in the past fixed techs looked down on us lowly denture people. You can force a single tooth crown on and make it "work", a denture is much more, we deal with the whole mouth and then there's the psychology part of wearing dentures. You can't put all of this in a machine . The best these will ever be is a great tool for denture mills. You c$b people would never understand.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You can't put all of this in a machine
i beg to differ. it is entirely possible to scan the bone, soft tissue, and face, and get the correct RESTING bite in a fully edentulous patient, and its among our numerous patents (now you know why you don't see it out there)

making the software correctly animate that bite into patient-specific movements is proving to be a quick hurdle. precision manufactured removables that dont need relining on the first day is quickly becoming a thing.

the obstacle now is overcoming the terrible lifespan of the prosthetic using newer materials and moving out of acrylics. our time to market is approaching quickly and i eagerly await the angry feedback i'm about to get of people in utter denial.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
i beg to differ. it is entirely possible to scan the bone, soft tissue, and face, and get the correct RESTING bite in a fully edentulous patient, and its among our numerous patents (now you know why you don't see it out there)

making the software correctly animate that bite into patient-specific movements is proving to be a quick hurdle. precision manufactured removables that dont need relining on the first day is quickly becoming a thing.

the obstacle now is overcoming the terrible lifespan of the prosthetic using newer materials and moving out of acrylics. our time to market is approaching quickly and i eagerly await the angry feedback i'm about to get of people in utter denial.

You won't get arguments from me, I wish you luck, I guess I see the bigger picture, but if someone would send me a free machine (as in I don't want to pay for it lol) I would give it a go.;)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what if i told you i could give you a machine that will be your entire lab, from scan to polish including firing in an oven all C+B, the ability to process dentures with a built in titanium frame, all forms of removables including precision attachments and bars and fully edent, all repairs and relines and adding teeth, and the capacity to process several cases at once, for a fee roughly 400k USD?

how much is your lab worth? if its more than this number, you may have a solid license to continue making money. if not, you might find yourself falling behind.

that is to say, if we wanted to sell it to americans. :)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Coolhand are you primarily a removable or fixed tech? I'm of a different mindset, I'll just be the uncool one who falls behind.