GC Initial MC

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I’ve been using Initial MC for 3 yrs or so. I’m getting lots of steam tears/ shrinkage that I haven’t experienced before. I can’t think of any thing that I’m doing differently to cause an issue. I also use Initial ZR which fires perfectly.

I’ve tried building up with water and with build up liquid. Increasing the dry time hasn’t helped. I also dropped the entry temp which hasn’t helped either.

Any suggestions welcome.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Do you use a wet tray and let it absorb slowly ? It’s probably a furnace issue but it helped me get rid of tears though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Initial MC for 3 yrs or so. I’m getting lots of steam tears/ shrinkage that I haven’t experienced before. I can’t think of any thing that I’m doing differently to cause an issue. I also use Initial ZR which fires perfectly.

I’ve tried building up with water and with build up liquid. Increasing the dry time hasn’t helped. I also dropped the entry temp which hasn’t helped either.

Any suggestions welcome.
Have a power outage or storm recently? Have you checked the calibration?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
The porcelain looks like it’s fired properly in terms of translucency etc. I’ve wondered myself if it’s a furnace issue. It’s not something I’ve encountered before.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Do you use a wet tray and let it absorb slowly ? It’s probably a furnace issue but it helped me get rid of tears though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using a wet tray but for me the porcelain was always a little too wet. I either mix up on a glass slab or dip a wet brush into the bottle. I’m getting the tears with both techniques at the moment.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
How do you opaque? What metal are you using? What are your temps, and hold times etc etc.. There are lots of variables including human handling regarding how you build and dry and condense.... I rarely use MC that much anymore but it does tend to tear a bit if you dont really baby it and keep it condensed. Tears come from too much moisture in your porcelain, too fast into the oven, not a good adhesion to the opaque, layers not condensed together, meaning wet added over dry. Try sprinkling some porcelain over your 2nd or 3rd opaque firing.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I was using a wet tray but for me the porcelain was always a little too wet. I either mix up on a glass slab or dip a wet brush into the bottle. I’m getting the tears with both techniques at the moment.
i ran into this for awhile too. dont have an actual reason why.....but when i tried condensing a bit more and blotting dry the porc a few extra times it seemed to fix it. i still use MC btw and still no issues except for awhile there when the tears were happening

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
That's interesting Bob, I'm sure I never used to get tears. Now it's every case with MC.

My colleague was also getting tears/shrinkage too. Initially I just thought she was doing something to cause it. Now she's on maternity leave and I'm doing more builds ups, I can see its some other issue.
The porcelain oven is 12yrs old, seems to work ok but maybe its too hot or cold in the dry stage.

Frustrating....

Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Check if your final opaque is too "shiny". Surface tension. Porcelain might not contact the opaque layer in some areas.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That's interesting Bob, I'm sure I never used to get tears. Now it's every case with MC.

My colleague was also getting tears/shrinkage too. Initially I just thought she was doing something to cause it. Now she's on maternity leave and I'm doing more builds ups, I can see its some other issue.
The porcelain oven is 12yrs old, seems to work ok but maybe its too hot or cold in the dry stage.

Frustrating....
it can be very frustration.
please keep us informed as to how you proceed
and PLEASE!!!!! be sure to change only one thing at a time. takes forever but helps narrow down the culprit

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Add a change in the weather/humidity to the mix. I have had tears from drying too long, and also too short. Porcelain always seems to have phases, though I also tend to blame operator use. If using tap water, this also changes. I use distilled water and still go through 'phases'.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Add a change in the weather/humidity to the mix. I have had tears from drying too long, and also too short. Porcelain always seems to have phases, though I also tend to blame operator use. If using tap water, this also changes. I use distilled water and still go through 'phases'.

i've heard the water thing over and over for 2 decades.....yet see no real difference in my hands. lol. maybe i struggle more all the time and just don't realize it [emoji23]

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
i've heard the water thing over and over for 2 decades.....yet see no real difference in my hands. lol. maybe i struggle more all the time and just don't realize it [emoji23]
The problem returns at intervals, so I am not satisfied that I have complete knowledge of it. I just thought I would toss in my ideas. With Porcelain, every bit of information can help. I like to pretend I can contribute occasionally.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The problem returns at intervals, so I am not satisfied that I have complete knowledge of it. I just thought I would toss in my ideas. With Porcelain, every bit of information can help. I like to pretend I can contribute occasionally.
Your perspective is very refreshing.
Husband and wife labs are the best thing this profession has to offer.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Your perspective is very refreshing.
Husband and wife labs are the best thing this profession has to offer.
We do everything, between the two of us.

He likes to say after working for a lot of a-holes, he now works for the biggest A-Hole he has ever met. I would concur, but then that may be incriminating. Working together puts a whole new spin on playing hide and go seek.

Joking aside, there are many pluses to being half of a dynamic duo. We get to hear first hand how the work turns out. Which in turn allows us to continue to step up the game.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Would you rather work with someone like cat Rob?
lets not get carried away here. i like the tiny bit of sanity i have left!
plus the accent would kill me, eh

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
GC's UK demonstrator thinks it's from building up too wet and that more condensation is needed. I'll give it a go. Out of 7 units yesterday 4 were ok and 3 had some pretty major tearing.