GC Initial MC

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
GC's UK demonstrator thinks it's from building up too wet and that more condensation is needed. I'll give it a go. Out of 7 units yesterday 4 were ok and 3 had some pretty major tearing.
Did you build them all up and fire them at the same time? Which had the tearing, the first or last ones you built up?

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
GC's UK demonstrator thinks it's from building up too wet and that more condensation is needed. I'll give it a go. Out of 7 units yesterday 4 were ok and 3 had some pretty major tearing.
I always condense, even on my wet tray. From my experience, a ceramist should never have problems with tears on singles. I worked with Design porcelain on occasion. At first I had the predicted (hers) tearing. Then for unknown reasons, it disappeared. My only explanation for this is mindfulness.

Hmmmm, I fired the crown right after building, rather than let it dry which were my instructions.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I always condense, even on my wet tray. From my experience, a ceramist should never have problems with tears on singles. I worked with Design porcelain on occasion. At first I had the predicted (hers) tearing. Then for unknown reasons, it disappeared. My only explanation for this is mindfulness.

Hmmmm, I fired the crown right after building, rather than let it dry which were my instructions.
With d.sign, it has to be wet or really, really dry to not tear.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
like i said, more condensing weeeeeeeee!
tap, blot dry, tap, blot dry. it helps a bunch when stacking really wet

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Did you build them all up and fire them at the same time? Which had the tearing, the first or last ones you built up?
The first crowns I built up didn’t tear, the last ones didn’t tear but the middle of the batch did.

First two units were fired together and then the rest all fired together.

I wouldn’t say I did anything different to any of them, just got different results.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score

I agree, tearing on singles shouldn't be a problem. I never used to get it, and it’s bloody annoying now. And the tears are big, nasty ones that are time consuming and awkward to fix.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The first crowns I built up didn’t tear, the last ones didn’t tear but the middle of the batch did.

First two units were fired together and then the rest all fired together.

I wouldn’t say I did anything different to any of them, just got different results.
With d.sign, if I build a couple crowns and fire them I have no problem, if I build 5 crowns and fire them there will be more tearing on the earliest of the 5 crowns. It has to do with how moisture escapes from the partially dry porcelain. It’s like the outside dries trapping moisture inside and it causes tearing as it escapes. If the build up is wetter, there’s no problem.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I call this a bloomin’ onion . I had a few of these when I started using inLine and the ivo liquids for it. Even diluted.
Tried the vitaRS fluid I had and problem solved! Mystery not solved though. DontknowHmmmm2

7BBDAA74-76A1-4B65-B99E-D02A5866C36C.jpeg

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
I call this a bloomin’ onion . I had a few of these when I started using inLine and the ivo liquids for it. Even diluted.
Tried the vitaRS fluid I had and problem solved! Mystery not solved though. DontknowHmmmm2

View attachment 28963

Wow that’s bad ! I’d say that looks like there was too much moisture and it didn’t get released before it was trying to fire. So maybe bring muffle closer and dry it longer to release that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk