What appliance is this and what's its purpose

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
An account of mine asked me what is this appliance called and what's its purpose for the patient. He thinks it's some kind of nightguard, but I'm not sure. Thank in advance.

1.JPG 2.JPG

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
fits the bill.

moves jaw forward, opens bite.

must be some type of snore therapy.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
The other thing it could be is a removable version of a herbst appliance it used for people mainly children that are a class 2 div1 relationship.I saw one in an ortho surgery.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dental appliances (night guards, occlusal splints, bite splint) are designed to protect the teeth from nightly clenching or teeth grinding.

No , I have a dental appliance that keeps my lunch,milk,drinks , and composites cold.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Dental appliances (night guards, occlusal splints, bite splint) are designed to protect the teeth from nightly clenching or teeth grinding.
That's what I like to see, a new member jumping right in and making a contribution. I mean, how many lab folks would have known that?

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I tell the Doctor it's a anti-snoring appliance.

Anybody know how it keeps the patient from snoring?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I tell the Doctor it's a anti-snoring appliance.

He's a Dr and he doesn't know what it is? Hmm, don't think I would go to him!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Yes, grantoz is the closest. Its a modified Herbst, also known as a MRD (A)...mandible repositioning device (appliance). Used for snoring and apnea by advancing (repositioning) the mandible.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I was going to say herbst on this one too.. snoring appliances arent necessarily adjustable like this one.. at least Ive never seen one like that, there are so many now.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Yes, grantoz is the closest. Its a modified Herbst, also known as a MRD (A)...mandible repositioning device (appliance). Used for snoring and apnea by advancing (repositioning) the mandible.

Sleep Apnea is usually caused by a weak spouse. He or she does not have the guts to keep the pillow over your face long enough.
Sleep Apnea - "A dream come true for somebody who is in to autoerotic asphyxiation"

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

By moving the mandible forward it keeps the airways unobstructed from soft palate tissue...therefore it won't resonate...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Very painful.
Those things give you lock jaw!

...and I refrain from eating in Upstate NY.

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
By moving the mandible forward it keeps the airways unobstructed from soft palate tissue...therefore it won't resonate...

Does this mean that the mandible has to be in a fixed position in relation to the maxili?

When I looked at the appliance, both arches would move freely in relation to each other. It has some very limited lateral/side movement, and fairly decent protrusive movement of the maxillary arch.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
wasnt that in the Saw movies?

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Does this mean that the mandible has to be in a fixed position in relation to the maxili?

When I looked at the appliance, both arches would move freely in relation to each other. It has some very limited lateral/side movement, and fairly decent protrusive movement of the maxillary arch.

Its a sleep apnea appliance to keep the air way open specially when the patient sleeps on his or her back so the soft tissue wont collapse and abstract
the oxygen going to the heart, sleep apnea is one of the major reason for all kind of sicknesses.
the limited movement of the appliance is for the jaw going back wards there are other appliances on the market like somnomed ...

Top Bottom