Vita Chrom L Stains

L

Laurie B

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and wondering if I may ask a question. I have an old set of Vita Chrom L stains and I was wondering if they can still be used on any of the more modern porcelain restorations, i.e., Emax, PFZ, and Full Zirconia crowns, and d.Sign porcelain. Its is just sitting in a drawer and I hate to let it go to waste but don't want to create a problem using something that isn't compatible. Thanks and I'm enjoying all the posts. Glad I found the Dental Lab Network!..........Laurie B.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What's the firing temp of those stains?

L

Laurie B

Reaction score
All the brochures are long gone listing firing temps. I was hoping someone here might have had the info. I have some old crowns that I'll experiment with to see what happens. Just curious if they will work on newer materials. Thanks!

C

charles007

Reaction score
Yes, use them in the same way as Vita's newer stains..
Vita has or had a Chrom L conversion chart to their newer Akzent stains.
No, I would not use on emax ? Emax and emax ceram may fire to low ? plus other stains like Empress stains, Emax stains, GC Lustre , and Jensen InSyn stains are much better on emax.
Yes you can use Chrom L on FCZ and PFZ, and probably most porcelain systems.
FCZ, once GC Lustre came out, I stopped using Akzent on solid zirconia, and presently using InSyn on FCZ since it has more colors and easier to use than Lustre.
I've always considered Vita's stains the elite stains kit for porcelain.
btw I have 4 stain trays and need 1 more, including a few Creation stains, and many dusty bottles of Chroma L in a bottom drawer.
My favorite stain tray is my very old Chrom L ceramic tray you can't buy anymore... lol

L

Laurie B

Reaction score
Hi Charles007, Thanks for the information! I will do a little experimenting with the Vita stains. I presently use Empress Universal stains for everything I mentioned above and they have worked very well for me. One stain palette that I have is the Renfert 30 well tray. Gives me plenty of wells to mix and match and use for my add on materials for corrections during glazing, I love it! I'll have to look into the InSyn stain system as it sounds like something I would like. Always good to have more color choices:). Again, thanks for you help!.......Laurie

C

charles007

Reaction score
Just noticed you joined dln.. Welcome to the family of friends all across the globe... Always nice to have a lady in the house when you have a bunch of loud mouth techs like me.. lol
fyi: You will love Jensen's InSyn stains if your doing FCZ. This kit has all the colors needed to touch up Classical shades and colors to match 3D shades...
Some techs are even using on pfms but I haven't needed the extra help.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
All the brochures are long gone listing firing temps. I was hoping someone here might have had the info. I have some old crowns that I'll experiment with to see what happens. Just curious if they will work on newer materials. Thanks!

Welcome to DLN Laurie B.
Here's a few pages from an old vmk68 instructions booklet. May be helpful.
My concern with these old stains would be their makeup containing metallic oxides, and CTE not being a match to metal free restorations . Charles?
image.jpg image.jpg

T

TomBouch

Reaction score
You don't need to worry about cte with stains. There is not enough mass in stain for the shrinkage to cause a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

charles007

Reaction score
No clue ? my old Chrom stains are just gathering dust and I didn't take the time to throw out.
Just remembered Vita Chrom L stains were used on Vita porcelain jackets.

Last edited:
olwyn

olwyn

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, just answered my question! Will see how the old Vita chrome L goes on FCZ :)

Last edited: