VHF new mill

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Its the tool length that I am interested in. If this machine can do 35* and mill 40mm blanks I am curious how

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What would a lab be milling out on a 40mm disc?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Its the tool length that I am interested in. If this machine can do 35* and mill 40mm blanks I am curious how

I have longer tools than the normal tools . I have used them in a case only once , it was 25 mm disc , a implant case .

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What are they milling, a one piece zircona implant framework with a tissue boarder?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
VHF mills are top of the line, extremely stable, I hope they improved on dust vacuum evacuation thou!.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Damn John, our new 5 axis will be in by next week hopefully. But this thing is a beast 35degrees. yikes.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I struggled a bit with whether or not to offer two cents here but decided, heck why not?

The specs, at least the ones that are actually published, (a bit of a pet peeve of mine) look a bit light to me.

Maybe I am missing something but with only a 300 watt spindle (S1/continuous) and most curious of all: "Collet chuck pneumatically for tools with 3 mm shank diameter and max. 40 mm total length"

I personal would not consider this machine top of the line. Especially when compared to our Versamills.

The choice of components and configuration of this machine is a bit curious to me. One one hand, according to published information I was able find, the mill appears to tick some boxes for frame and guide system.

However a 300 watt sindle and 3mm tooling will significantly limit the performance of any machine tool.

Here this mill appears to be a bit of an engigma. On one hand, a low power spindle such as this would be easy to stall when taking "heavier" cuts but on the other hand a tool with only a 3mm shank would snap pretty easily under a load that a 300 watt spindle could present (especially if cuttting parameters such as rpm, federate,depth of cut, machining strategy, etc. are not optimized).

Also, based not these specs I just don't see it effectively processing CoCr in any form other than presintered.

Just one guys opinion and YMMV...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Nice 2 cents worth, brayks.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
What would a lab be milling out on a 40mm disc?

The full arch Zirconia stuff sometimes needs much taller blocks due to the shrinkage factor

of the Zirconia. Usually has to be milled 20% or more larger.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
~20% more, I didn't realize that. Thanks, Kent.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I struggled a bit with whether or not to offer two cents here but decided, heck why not?

The specs, at least the ones that are actually published, (a bit of a pet peeve of mine) look a bit light to me.

Maybe I am missing something but with only a 300 watt spindle (S1/continuous) and most curious of all: "Collet chuck pneumatically for tools with 3 mm shank diameter and max. 40 mm total length"

I personal would not consider this machine top of the line. Especially when compared to our Versamills.

The choice of components and configuration of this machine is a bit curious to me. One one hand, according to published information I was able find, the mill appears to tick some boxes for frame and guide system.

However a 300 watt sindle and 3mm tooling will significantly limit the performance of any machine tool.

Here this mill appears to be a bit of an engigma. On one hand, a low power spindle such as this would be easy to stall when taking "heavier" cuts but on the other hand a tool with only a 3mm shank would snap pretty easily under a load that a 300 watt spindle could present (especially if cuttting parameters such as rpm, federate,depth of cut, machining strategy, etc. are not optimized).

Also, based not these specs I just don't see it effectively processing CoCr in any form other than presintered.

Just one guys opinion and YMMV...

Brayks,

I feel that this machine's intent wasn't really for metal, although they claim it can cut it. You know as well as I do, that with proper strategies, it will cut it even if it does take a long time. I feel this machine will do pretty well with the claimed capabilities. You know as well as I do, as the Zr market grows with the Full Arch restorations, that someone was going to come out with a machine specifically pointing to those customers. Not saying that current machines can't mill them out at all because I know they can. I'm just saying, it feels like they're really going for the Full Arch customer with the reaches/thicknesses of the pucks. We shall see I guess.

Hate I didn't get to Chicago this year to visit with you...maybe next year! :D

Kent

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
~20% more, I didn't realize that. Thanks, Kent.

Yeah...so on your shrinkage factor, move the decimal place over two spots to the right and that's your shrinkage factor of that particular puck.

Less dense materials will have higher shrinkage factors. More dense obviously will be much lower. Be aware of any Zr claiming the same shrinkage

factor for all of their pucks. Generally it's somewhere around 20%.