Rolend machine

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
We had tried to switch to CAD/CAM system to make coping for PFM, but had failed so far..
We had tried to mill PMMA on LaserDenta 5axis, good fit at 0.6mm, but distortion at 0.4mm..
How about the resut on JWX 10?? very good fit? Can it mill very thin (0.4-0.3mm)??

Since you also had LaserDenta 5 axis? Did you ever got any problem with it? and how's the performance compared to your other milling machine.. because we had never test any CAD/CAM before we decide to buy LD... (quite crazy huh??)

Thanks sooo much -gita-

We still dip or vacuform copings. We scan them after opaque and mill the overlay for press-to.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I'm milling wax copings on a cad blue ezmill at 0.3mm. I don't know if the type of wax makes a difference or not but I am not seeing any distortion or chips.

I

implants

Reaction score
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0164.jpg
We have a DWX 50, and we love it. So far, it has been a great machine. We are milling zirconia on it, but we have also milled PMMA and a few other things. It is small, fast, quiet and clean. It uses the same tools as our LaserDenta 5 axis, but we are thinking about changing out the collets on those machines so we can run the same tools on all 11 mills we have here.

We have five JWX10 mills and have NEVER had to service any of them. We run the hell out of our machines and they all work great. I doubt you will have any trouble. It's the same machine as the Noritake Mill.

The magnetic tool changer is a big plus as far as my guys are concerned. We also like the simple little things, like the vacuum hose plugging in on the front so we can unplug it and clean the machine. I highly recommend you look at it, and even come here and play with it if you'd like...

Mark,
Where did you get the table you are showing the Roland Milling Machine on in this post. It looks like a great set up. I am getting the same machine.
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0164.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Looks like a rolling cart to me

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We received our first Roland mill at CAP about a month ago. We also have the Origin mill. The Roland is up and running. It is providing great fitting parts on a routine basis. The mill is small, quiet and relitively productive. For the money, it' quite amazing. Full 5 axis machining of zirconia, wax and PMMA. In addition, we have added Roland to our product line for distribution. If you have any Q's feel free to contact us.
Bob

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Like to know how it compares to the origin mill?

G

Gaetano

Reaction score
Hi Mark!
Good conversation here. Thanks again for the mill. I am learning a lot of things all at the same time and that has its challenges but the mill has been great.

Have you done any wax milling on the dwx-50 yet just to compare fit between the 10 and the 50? I would be curious as to how much of my fit is due to software settings.

Have you ever milled wax copings on the jwx-10 and what were your thoughts?

Lastly, what zirconia mill do you like better, the DWX-50 or the Bruxir mill?:)

Thanks!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Mark!
Good conversation here. Thanks again for the mill. I am learning a lot of things all at the same time and that has its challenges but the mill has been great.

Have you done any wax milling on the dwx-50 yet just to compare fit between the 10 and the 50? I would be curious as to how much of my fit is due to software settings.

Have you ever milled wax copings on the jwx-10 and what were your thoughts?

Lastly, what zirconia mill do you like better, the DWX-50 or the Bruxir mill?:)

Thanks!

Hi Gaetano!

Glad you are happy with the mill. You can tweak setting to get the fits exactly where you want them. I'm siure you saw the fits we were getting while you visited the lab. Very acceptable in my opinion.

With all the JWX10's I have, I have no reason to try a wax puck on the 50, but I'm sure it will do an even better job. As for the two zirconia mills, I like the BruxZir mill because of its speed. I can get 30% more work out of that machine. If I were somebody like Scott (***) I could probably continously tweak the milling strategy to optimize it, and cut some time off, but I have the capacity here with all these mills, so I don't bother with it.

The DWX50 is a great value for the money.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Hey Mark this is Shane Williams from Studio32. I Was wondering if you could answer a question for me. We are thinking of buying a JWX-10 Roland mill(from you) and we are wondering about the software. We currently have a 3Shape and Dental Wings scanner, and Mike(my boss) was wanting to know what type of cam software we needed to operate it. He said that it comes with some type of CAM software already, but is there a bridge software that we would need to run it. Or Can I simply drop on STL files and mill away?

Any help would be gratefull, thanks.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hey Mark this is Shane Williams from Studio32. I Was wondering if you could answer a question for me. We are thinking of buying a JWX-10 Roland mill(from you) and we are wondering about the software. We currently have a 3Shape and Dental Wings scanner, and Mike(my boss) was wanting to know what type of cam software we needed to operate it. He said that it comes with some type of CAM software already, but is there a bridge software that we would need to run it. Or Can I simply drop on STL files and mill away?

Any help would be gratefull, thanks.

We are using it with EdgeCam. I was told that if your CAM Software supports Roland, it should not be a problem. I have no experience other than with the EdgeCam solution we use.

If you have DelCam for example, it should be fine, but give them a call first.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We make our own. We have an aluminum block with four round molds for pouring in the wax. We use a hot plate and a teflon suacepan. Works like a charm. We just toss in the used pucks with all the milling scrap and re melt it.

Mark, can you show a photo of your wax mold? I have a machinist that is willing to make me a mold. Any ideas for design would be helpful.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Shane,
We are running Sum 3D in our Roland and it's very good. Easy to use. Has auto sprucing and placement.
Bob

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just worked out a new mill stratergy for our Roland mill. We are using a 0.3 mm tool to go through the anatomy:)
CAP FZ pic.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Bob, how are the milling times looking on FCZ? Can't wait to see how it's doing!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Bob,

I'd love to share ideas on how to cut Zirconia.

1) How often do you use Climb milling vs/ bi-directional during the various stages of Zirconia milling?

2) Do you add in a value in your tool for approach angle in anything?
If so, what and for what exact operation? We use between 6 degrees and 10 degrees. This is the angle the tool follow as it starts to enter the material. If you leave it blank....it just plunges right down at 90 degrees. You can see your results of changes on-screen during the simulation. You'll have to Zoom and know what you are looking at.

3) What do you leave as allowance, or oversize for roughing external and internal? For softer Zirconias, my Employee has been upping this value to .2mm on the external. This leaves the sprues and everything on that side .2mm thicker during the process of the final peircing of Zirconia wall. I call it...breaking the hyman. LOL This is a very crucial area and time during milling. For copings, this is usually at t6he margin, or the widest area of tooth. For full contour...this is much higher or even up to the marginal ridge almost. So, you may have chipping on totally different areas of those. Any thoughts?

4) What step is your final internal spiral? (For Zirconia....remember it is 25% larger than final product at this point...) We have been doing a 35um spiral beginning .2mm AWAY and outside of the margin. We defined this in the delimitation section in accordance to the raw curve of margin...

We continue the 35um spirals for 2mm depth inside of tooth (going away from margin raw curve),then it switches to 50um step or sometimes we have done 60um. We use command <Spiral0/2/.035><Spiral2/0/.050> after the name of the Spiral operation in SUM3D.

Now, in my mind....this is actually like having 20% tighter milling path, once sintered.

For milling 1:1....this is different.

These questions apply to any mill for dry-milling Zirconia.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Bob, would like to see that sintered;)

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Actually Scott,
We replaced the spindle with a laser and created a new strategy that enables us to auto adjust the diameter of the cut for 3mm to 0.01. this new process takes just 3 minutes to cut the crown.
Warmest regards,
bob
PS Mat will let yo know more about our milling strategy with the old style tooling

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You running QuakerState, or Prestone?
fletch04.jpg

M

MikeM

Reaction score
Mike Melle

Hello Mark,

I would love to put my demo unit in your lab for a week or two, so you can at least see what we can do with our CAM. We feel real good about our specifications on the Mini, the consistency that the Wieland Mini provides, and a CAM software that has some great features. It is not a challange towards the Roland machine it's the way you call it, you have passion that I would like to see you enjoy with our system, get some Wieland in your office and tell me what you think, your opinion counts! I will send you my contact information off line and maybe we could schedule a time that we have for such a expierence.

Thanks,
Mike Melle
Wieland Dental Systems

Top Bottom