Rolend machine

Matt Stratton

Matt Stratton

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Nice to meet you :) We are actually just getting ramped up with Sum3D and have not done too much tweaking, outside of feeds/speeds/z-increments. To answer your questions:

1. Currently not using 'climb mill' at all...just bidirectional.

2. We use <SLOPE2> on our internal and external roughing passes. Do you see better results from a higher angle?

3. We use 0.1mm oversize for internal/external roughing, and .05mm for the crown roughing. So far, we haven't seen much chipping at all, minus the occasions when tools wear out, but you make a good point. Nothing more frustrating than seeing chipped units after a long build :)

4. We are doing 0.05mm steps for 2mm, and then 0.1mm steps after that (<SPIRAL0/2/0.05><SPIRAL2/0/0.1>). Again, we've been getting great fits, so haven't been compelled to change this around too much.

Most of our effort is towards quicker mill times and better-looking full contour anatomy. I think the 0.3mm burr will help reduce manual finishing. For speed (hey Nicely :)),we are ~27min for full contour, and ~18min on substructures. This is without the sprue reduction.

We are going with pretty aggressive roughing at 0.7mm z-steps, then switching to 0.05mm steps for finishing. So far this has worked ok, but I think we may be killing the 2mm burr a bit quicker. I'm trying to do some burr wear tests, but it's expensive and takes a while.

-Matt

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We Rough at .4 for Internal, then only .35 for external. It is slow, but we get good tool life, and if you have teeth near the edge of any Zirconia it really helps to avoid any big chunks flying off....taking margin with it.....the extra .2 on the external also gives a little extra meat for that random chunk flying off during roughing.

We have feed at almost 2000 for both sides of roughing.

We have feed at maximum material removal sometimes as low as 1200 (When up against walls or the tooth during roughing.) Than we always add in a high number to the rapid feed in the tool parameters..3000+

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Try Climb-milling during roughing. It will not waste any/much time.
Watch the results on your mill! I enjoy watching the minor changes as they unfold before my eyes, then thinking about it all night....then back to tweeking...

I believe that climb-milling for roughing is much better on the tool!

Scroll down to the Climb-Milling....
Milling cutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You do not want to bend, or work-harded Zirconia! No Conventional Milling for Roughing! (Down-Milling)

I say...only Climb mill it! Your thoughts??

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Of Course I forgot to mention that we Rough with a 2mm tool.

We have an offset of 2.25mm or so....

How'bout yall? popcorn

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
As far as the Roland....

Nothing on that machine resembles a real CNC mill.

It is a Vinal cutter, or Paper printer componants.

No real frame to speak of.....no high tolerance rails...no ball screws....

Instead..it has unsupported floppy Foose-ball table rails that are just round sticks of metal....no real high tolerance bearings.....a floppy rubber belt to move the axis....no real high precision encoders....I could go on and on and on....

Below is what a real CNC mill made in the modern age should have...at a minimum!

awww.designworldonline.com_uploads_ImageGallery_thk_20lm_20light_20guide.png

acfnewsads.thomasnet.com_images_large_455_455004.jpg

I have a mill that has been running 24/7 for Eight Years....and I just replaced the Spindle just because I was board. Other than that.....
awww.designworldonline.com_uploads_ImageGallery_thk_20lm_20light_20guide.png acfnewsads.thomasnet.com_images_large_455_455004.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The Rails need to be supported on a big ASS heavy-duty frame! Not floating in mid-air! LOL

The Roland is such a non-precision toy! I cannot stress this enough.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The Spindle.....Hah! Don't even get me started!

OK, back to CAM....that was interesting.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
As cheap and flimsy as the Rolands are, if it works it works, and it's definitely working for some people and I know of a lot who have abandoned them for better quality mills.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
As cheap and flimsy as the Rolands are, if it works it works, and it's definitely working for some people and I know of a lot who have abandoned them for better quality mills.

Really? I don't buy that for a second. Not one second.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I drive VW,s for the sole reason that I can't afford a Bugatti. BUT! Although my VW will not run 200+ mph like the Bugatti, that little turbo charged 4 banger will do well over the speed limit comfortably for a long, long time.

That is what I am trying to figure out about these smaller mills. I'm a smaller lab and don't need something that will cut adamantium, just Zr and PMMA/wax nice and accurate;)

Jason

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I drive VW,s for the sole reason that I can't afford a Bugatti. BUT! Although my VW will not run 200+ mph like the Bugatti, that little turbo charged 4 banger will do well over the speed limit comfortably for a long, long time.

That is what I am trying to figure out about these smaller mills. I'm a smaller lab and don't need something that will cut adamantium, just Zr and PMMA/wax nice and accurate;)

Jason

The only people trashing the Roland machine are those who don't own one. I have 11 milling machines here. I don't sell mills, frankly, I don't give a damn what anybody buys, or why, but I can tell you from experience, the DWX50 is a darn nice little machine and works like a champ in this high volume lab.

If you want to see a whole bunch of different mills, work with them, and talk to the guys who use them every day, spend $300 and fly out here and test drive them all.

I

implants

Reaction score
The only people trashing the Roland machine are those who don't own one. I have 11 milling machines here. I don't sell mills, frankly, I don't give a damn what anybody buys, or why, but I can tell you from experience, the DWX50 is a darn nice little machine and works like a champ in this high volume lab.

If you want to see a whole bunch of different mills, work with them, and talk to the guys who use them every day, spend $300 and fly out here and test drive them all.

We just got a Noritake DWX50 unit from Zahn and it seems awesome. Glad to hear you back up it's use in a high volume lab.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mark, I ran one of these for a while.

awww.qubic.com.au_images_prod_mdx40r.jpg
awww.qubic.com.au_images_prod_mdx40r.jpg

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
The Rolands were originally introduced into dental because of their presence in the jewelry industry. Well.. as of right now, NOBODY is using Rolands in jewelry anymore.

Mark, how often do you calibrate your mills?

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
I love my Rolands.....we just did a spindle upgrade on them to get more speed......I love da speed:p We went from 12000 rpm to 18000 rpm....it decreased our milling time, thus allowing us to increase our feed rate saving us about 30% in milling time. I love these fockers:) KADTrio_rev.jpg
KADTrio_rev.jpg

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
What is the pricing for the DWX-50?

Adolfo

Adolfo

Reaction score
In Europa, DWX-50 + CAM = 25000 euros. :)

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The Rolands were originally introduced into dental because of their presence in the jewelry industry. Well.. as of right now, NOBODY is using Rolands in jewelry anymore.

Mark, how often do you calibrate your mills?

You pulled that out of your tail pipe. I just sold my last two mills to a jewerly manufacturer in Oakland who is running 60 of them!

Much like labs, many jewelers are using printers now, but for fast, small runs, there is nothing like a wax mill. We calibrate every mill, every day whether they need them or not. I don't know if you have a horse in this race or not, but like I said, I use them every day, and anyone os welcome to come see how well they work. As you can see in the post above, my friend Shaun is using them with much satisfaction.

I don't know why you are trying to tell somebody who loves the tool they bought that it's a piece of junk. What do you gain from talking someone out of a Roland mill?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am posting just facts about machines on this web site.

I have nothing to gain or loose either way.

Just my unbiased opinions and mostly facts.

Yes, the Roland is pretty much finished in the Jewelry Community.

There is always some new kid out of school who will buy a used Roland.

Mark, did you or Shaun actually read the tech specs on the Roland?

I has issues with it staying calibrated. It would "jump a step" keep running out of calibration untill you powered off the mill and re-homed it again.

Each Calibration piece I milled came out different. I remember spending days re-milling the calibration part untill I pulled the plug and threw the mill out of my lab.

I guess ignorance is bliss. I now know too much to be happy with a Roland.