Rolend machine

S

sml2010

Reaction score
Hi to all

I want buy a DWX-50 rolend Dental CNC machine.
5 Axis CNC Machine | DWX-50 | Roland DGA

It is a five axis cnc machine with low price but the power is too low and it can only machining Wax, PMMA, Zirconia material.
I talk with a Zirconia dealer and he told that i don't know that does the spindle of this machine can work for long time or not because the spindle power is 100 watt and spindle speed is 30000RMP
He said that this spindle may be weak.

Does some one help me tell by his/her experience on machining with this machine?
What do you think? Can i machining Zirconia with this machine for long time? for example for 16 hour continue machining?

Please answer if you have experience with this machine or a machine like this.

Thank you for your help

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0164.jpg
We have a DWX 50, and we love it. So far, it has been a great machine. We are milling zirconia on it, but we have also milled PMMA and a few other things. It is small, fast, quiet and clean. It uses the same tools as our LaserDenta 5 axis, but we are thinking about changing out the collets on those machines so we can run the same tools on all 11 mills we have here.

We have five JWX10 mills and have NEVER had to service any of them. We run the hell out of our machines and they all work great. I doubt you will have any trouble. It's the same machine as the Noritake Mill.

The magnetic tool changer is a big plus as far as my guys are concerned. We also like the simple little things, like the vacuum hose plugging in on the front so we can unplug it and clean the machine. I highly recommend you look at it, and even come here and play with it if you'd like...
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0164.jpg

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
How do you like the Cercon clean vac? How long have you had it? Has it run trouble free?
Thanks,
Bob

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
How do you like the Cercon clean vac? How long have you had it? Has it run trouble free?
Thanks,
Bob

Hahaha, I was wondering if anybody would notice that!

We have our Cercon mill (which admittedly has not been used in a while) hooked into a central vacuum system which runs on a timer. Because we didn't have any more capacity on the vacuum, we had to break out one of the stand alone vacuums and this one was the right size.

Believe it or not, this is a fantastic little unit. It has been in service for years, has never needed anything besides routine maintenace and is quiet and clean. It does have a feature we don't like, and that is a temperature sensor that shuts it off if it gets hot, and since we run our machines so hard, it DOES get hotter than the sensor will allow, though no hotter than any other vacuum in the lab. We disabled the sensor and it's all good.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
BTW, I think I heard Shaun Keating is running one or more of these mills. Maybe he can pipe in too?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
This is great, since we are also looking at the DWX-50. I have one question though. While doing my research about this mill, I contacted David Grimes(who first told me about this machine) and he informed me about some problems with the spindle and belts that he knew of.

Mark have you had any of these problems? Are lab is a 15 person lab and do around 130 zirconia units a month(not a lot but enough to start looking at milling). So my question is are there problems with the belts or spindles that you have had? And if so, is it an easy fix.

Thanks for the great input about the Roland. This site is amazing, and a great tool for labs who want to purchase really anything.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Mark

out of curiosity, what burs do you use on this (and the laserdenta) ? you buy them from laserdenta ?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
This is great, since we are also looking at the DWX-50. I have one question though. While doing my research about this mill, I contacted David Grimes(who first told me about this machine) and he informed me about some problems with the spindle and belts that he knew of.

Mark have you had any of these problems?

Since I had one of the very first dental machines in the USA, I wonder who he heard this from??? While I know Dave very well, and I like him a lot, he is selling a competing machine, and I'm selling NOTHING, so take that for what it is worth...

I have at this time, six Roland mills in my lab. Two of them have been here for almost five years now. I have NEVER had to replace a single part. Nothing. Ever. Admittedly, they are milling wax, which is not particularly hard on a machine, but they do run all day and probably go longer than they should before they get a good cleaning.

The DWX50 has been just like #10's we are running, and we don't anticipate any more maintenence or attention that we give the wax mills. Time will tell, but at this point, it's been a very very good unit for our lab.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. So you don't mill any zirconia with your Rolands? Do you see any problems with a lab using it primarily for zirconia? Like you said you're milling wax not zirconia. Would that simply depend on the suction for the machine to help keep it clean, or the hardness of the zirconia compared to wax?
If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to mill zirconia?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. So you don't mill any zirconia with your Rolands?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to mill zirconia?

Actually, we use the DWX50 to mill zirconia, and we use the JWX10's to mill wax. Obviously I expect the zirconia to really put the system to the test, but at this point, it hasn't missed a beat and I have no reason to suspect it will have any problems. The only people who have raised the issue of this machine potentially having a spindle problem are competitors or people who've never worked with one.

I honestly believe this thing will be as relaibale as every other unit we have here. Our zirconia mills include:

Cercon Mill
Lava Mill
Intelletek Mill
LaserDenta 5 axis
Roland DWX50
BruxZir 4 axis Mill

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Awesome!!!
Thanks again for the input Mark!!

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
One more question and I'll stop buggin ya, haha. How important is the Cam software that runs the machine? I've been told it's extremely important. I know to make sure that it's open and I don't get stuck using the same seller for the zirconia blocks. The company that I've been comunicating with purchasing the DWX-50 is Sagemax out of Seattle WA. Their package which includes Cam software, instalation and $2000 of credit with them is $33,000. They told me to buy it right outta the box without the software is $29,000. The reason I'm concerned about that is I've heard Cam software is quite expensive, and to basiclly give it away raises red flags.

Again thanks for all your info, really nice of you to help me out.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
One more question and I'll stop buggin ya, haha. How important is the Cam software that runs the machine?

Shane, CAM software is critical for every machine, not just this one. These software packages range in price from crazy-expensive to free. The most important thing is that the manufacturer has tested and approves the software for use with their machine.

One advantage to buying the sofware and hardware as a bundle is that there should be no finger pointing as far as that goes. I had a hell of a time getting a German mill running because I wanted to be able to run it right off my existing workstations without introducing any new programs. We finally got it, but it took weeks.

I think Sage will bundle it with SUM3D, which is a popular program for guys like Scott at *** and our European members. I think Roland is pleased with it, so I don't think it will be a problem for you at all. We are using EdgeCam and DelCam here.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I'm also interested in the Roland DWX-50 I had a look at one in action last week and was very impressed, the only thing I didn't like was that there is no tool wear indicator in the software, is this much of an issue in your experience?

regards

Adam

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Who's wax pucks are you milling in your Roland?
Thanks for your commitment to sharing.
have a great Thanksgiving!
Bob

graeme

graeme

Reaction score
Rough guide to tool use: Changing the cutting tool.
Zirconia - 40 units
PMMA - 200 units
Wax 1000 units
The wax value is a conservative figure, we have completed over 3000 wax units and only had to change tools twice, intact we had our very first tool fracture today. Using 12mm discs mainly which helps reduce tool wear and speeds up milling, occasionally 14mm rarely 16mm

G

Gita

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
We had tried to switch to CAD/CAM system to make coping for PFM, but had failed so far..
We had tried to mill PMMA on LaserDenta 5axis, good fit at 0.6mm, but distortion at 0.4mm..
How about the resut on JWX 10?? very good fit? Can it mill very thin (0.4-0.3mm)??

Since you also had LaserDenta 5 axis? Did you ever got any problem with it? and how's the performance compared to your other milling machine.. because we had never test any CAD/CAM before we decide to buy LD... (quite crazy huh??)

Thanks sooo much -gita-

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Who's wax pucks are you milling in your Roland?
Thanks for your commitment to sharing.
have a great Thanksgiving!
Bob

We make our own. We have an aluminum block with four round molds for pouring in the wax. We use a hot plate and a teflon suacepan. Works like a charm. We just toss in the used pucks with all the milling scrap and re melt it.

Top Bottom