ROLAND DWX-50 OUT OF WACK!!!!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
So the other day some how the XZ motor position got lost! WTF? So I calibrated it and now I am getting a lot of chipping on the margins and the burs have a very low cut count on them. A recalibration shoould cure the issue no? If not what is the proper way to get it back to the right position? Getting really frustated with this chipping BS! Anyway to find out if it is back in the right position?

Help anyone, please.

Sevan

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
shane has had the same issue in recent weeks, and it would seem his solution would be similar if not exactly the same as your own.

it seems shane's DWX50 could be losing motor placement due to a faulty or too long USB cable. one of several solutions exists for this: 1. replace the USB cable. 2. remove other USB devices from the computer controlling the DWX50 and 3. try a different USB port.

given what normally happens with USB ports i would opt for solutions 1 and 3, as too many devices doesnt generally produce data transmission losses.

get a USB cord that is SHORT in length. long cords lose data easier.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
15' is the longest you can have a USB cable before you have any data loss, it has been perfect and untouched for months, I will try it but I doubt it is the USB cable.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You crash the tool on fixture or something else?

Bent the drawbar in the spindle, or something like that?

When a mill looses it's "eyes", it then does weird things. Like crash into objects.

Watch the mill and have hand on the STOP button! You need to look at log of data and see what happened.

A Roland tech should be able to log into your mill and see pretty quickly what happened. I don't know how many trained techs are actually associated with resellers. I'm guessing Zero. Probably not much training to resellers as to trouble shooting and fixing. You will end up waiting in line at the Roland "Genius Bar" for an answer? Or maybe they just ask to sent the mill somewhere to repair center?

Kinda curious how this system is in place? Your mill may not have detailed data log on the milling jobs. I don't see how all that I/O communication could possibly travel through a USB cable. It is too much data going back and fourth. Something has to be sacrificed. Probably the data logging first has been eliminated?

Just a guess?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I've been dealing with 2 people from Roland(thanks Glen) and my reseller as of yesterday. After I gave him the run-down he mentiond that I should try tightening the "collet". I remembered that a few months ago I did get an error saying that my chuck was loose. Then I recieved a package in the mail from Roland about tightening the collet during rutine maintenance. So after I had to restart yet another job yesterday, my v-pannel said I had 5 hours of milling left so I came back to the lab around 9:30 and tightend it. Started another job and it went through. Hopefully this solves my problem. Hopefully it also solves why I'm getting chipping at 70-80 mills, when I was getting double that a few months ago. I'll keep ya posted steven, but try tightening the collet(chuck) and see if that helps your problems.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Rather than posting here and getting lots of guesses at what the problem might be please call Roland DGA technical support. Your machine is covered under a 2 year warranty and the technical support staff have diagnostic tools to identify and solve problems. If it can't be solved remotely they can issue an RMA and have a replacement unit sent to you.

There is no need to get frustrated or try to figure it out on your own. You have resources available to you as a Roland customer and they are just a phone call away. Before you call, make sure you have your serial number handy. You can either get it off the sticker on the back of the DWX-50 or you can get it from the v-panel: "settings">"maintenance">"diagnosis" the system report will show your serial number in the third line down from the top.

The image below shows the steps.

-Glenn

Locate DWX 50 serial number in vpanel.jpg
Locate DWX 50 serial number in vpanel.jpg

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Glenn I would of called them but no phone number is listed on the site buddy, or at least i couldnt find it.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Glenn I would of called them but no phone number is listed on the site buddy, or at least i couldnt find it.

No problem Sevan, just go to the Roland DGA website: Roland DGA - Worldwide leader in vinyl cutters, wide-format inkjet printers and printer/cutters, 3d scanners and milling devices and engravers

To call or email technical support click on "about" > "contact us" at the top of the website.

For driver updates, user's manuals, videos and other self help tools you can access the support wizard: At the top of the website click on "support" > "support wizard" > "DWX-50"

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
LMFAO! FML! Thanks Camdude. I already sent off a e-mail. Will call tomorrow morning.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Well just got off the phonw with George in Tech Support, basically he said a recalibration should set everything back. I am sending him the Diagnosis and error logs. But basically it should be fine, i just need to monitor it.

Scott(***) if my prior cut count on my 2mm non diamond tool was averaging about 150-160 cuts what would cause it to all of a sudden drop about 80-90 cuts? It is not the design cause the same file cuts just fine on our 340i. All of a sudden I am notingc the 2mm chipping at around 70-80 cuts in on the bur.

Thanks guys.

-Sevan

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I would like to know how often to calibrate? I would do it every morning if it helped. So far though mine has been great.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I would like to know how often to calibrate? I would do it every morning if it helped. So far though mine has been great.

Atleast twice a month, or once a week, really depends on how much you use the machine. A lot of units a day then atleast once a week or three times a month, IMHO.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I do about 10 Zr a day and 10 wax units a day

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I do about 10 Zr a day and 10 wax units a day

Twice a mont should be fine maybe even once a month. It really depends on how anal you are about your machine. LOL

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Does it say how often to calibrate in the manual?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Depends on your work load, maybe once or twice a month or until you notice different cutt results like bigger stepping ledges and so on.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I called Roland to make sure that there was not an "official" recommendation that I was disregarding, to which they responded that there was nothing in that respect. Then I asked if the machine going out of calibration was a result of the amount of units milled or time between calibrations to which he responded that this was difficult question to answer. He said definitely the amount of use as well as anything else that would affect any machine like temp., humidity, etc. He recommended a safe time of 1 week between calibrations.

Top Bottom