Radical Radica Provisionals

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I had time to finish this case today so I thought I would put it together here.

Building a temporary shell on top of this...
image.jpg
The doctor will do some endo work on number 22
So I will prep for a temp shell...
image.jpg
Now lay some ribbond reinforcement...
I like to add a thin layer of wax along with the Vaseline, it melts as the bridge cures and gets warm, then the bridge removes from the model much easier.
image.jpg
Now instead of using the radica warmer I put the material into a toaster oven at 225f to give me a much more flow able material...
image.jpg
Then I seated the matrix and placed it in some ice cold water so I could remove the putty with a nice solid material beneath.
image.jpg
Brush on some sealer and ready to cure...
image.jpg
Then I cut back the incisals and put some blue stains on the incisals before layering the light material.
And cured...
image.jpg
And now I ran some fine scotch brushes over it to give me a great surface to seal her up...
image.jpg
And we're done...
image.jpg
image.jpg
This will be about the 6th or 7th radica bridge I've built and they get better every time, but they still need work. Tips, tricks, suggestions are greatly appreciated... Thanks guys..
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
The shade looks pretty. What's the brand of the material you are using?

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
I don't get to see this one in Oz. nice work bro. I would have liked to see the wax up before the lab putty key. Easy to work with?
Regards Patrick

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
There's a photo of the waxup just before I ooz the Radica temp material.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
My bad, I did forget the waxup shot...
It won't let me edit the post. :(

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Heres the waxup...
4794d1363135868-how-bout-sharing-some-wax-ups-image.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Nice case, thanks for posting. How do you light cure through your putty matrix?, is it heat-cured? What is the advantage of this over normal cold cure acrylic temps? The material cost has to be 2-3x as much?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry I see that you put it in cold water.. You could use an injectable clear pvs and just cure through it.. Ive seen some italians do it with composite..

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Nice case, thanks for posting. How do you light cure through your putty matrix?, is it heat-cured? What is the advantage of this over normal cold cure acrylic temps? The material cost has to be 2-3x as much?
The material is warmed and then flowed into the matrix. Then I submerge everything in ice cold water to harden the material as much as possible. It is not cured, just hard, but fragile. So I have to be carefull when removing the matrix. My matrix actualy has a slice going through it that is glued back together, so I can remove it easier. I just open the slice and peel back the matrix. Radica runs about thirty five dollars a tube, and this bridge used up one tube all together.I could use some clear matrix material, but I dont like it. Or at least the stuff we have in the lab I dont like. After removing the matrix I cure it for a few seconds, just enough to harden the outside a bit, then carfully remove it from the model. Then plung it back and forth onto the model and cure it for seconds at a time, always checking to see if its stuck to the model or not. Once im sure it wont stick to the model, I cure it for the full duration, on the model. I find if i cure off the model, things warp a tiny bit...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Nice write up, how strong is that material? We have gone almost exclusively to milled temps now as they are much faster and I can cut back and layer in incisal when deemed necessary.

I see you used ribbond, I have a love hate relationship with that stuff. Getting it to stay in the right place and lay flat is always fun, it wseems I always get a little bit exposed to the surface and sealing it over is just a bitch.

As others have stated if you buy some clear PVS you can eliminate the extra step of trying to get the matrix off with out altering the material.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I enjoy using Radica. It is very strong, much harder than standard acrylics. The enamel shades have a very nice translucency. The beauty of this material is that it doesn't harden until you are done manipulating it. You can touch up voids. Cut back and lay in effects, trim margins with a blade. Even "tap" into occlusion when the case is mounted. The light cure sealer that comes with Radica system is excellent. It gives a shine like glazed porcelain and works much better than my light cured sealant materials.

For those that use Radica, do you have a good supplier or can you only order it directly through Dentsply? I need some refills!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Nice write up, how strong is that material? We have gone almost exclusively to milled temps now as they are much faster and I can cut back and layer in incisal when deemed necessary.

I see you used ribbond, I have a love hate relationship with that stuff. Getting it to stay in the right place and lay flat is always fun, it wseems I always get a little bit exposed to the surface and sealing it over is just a bitch.

As others have stated if you buy some clear PVS you can eliminate the extra step of trying to get the matrix off with out altering the material.

I have some clear matrix material in a gun. I dont like it cause it sets too fast and I get voids. I could always get some slower set, but I dont like curing if I havent loosened the temp bridge at least a little. I have had them cure to the model...
The material is spose to last years, says the manufacturer. Well see...
Radica...
It comes with all the dentin and incisal.. Along with some liquide sealer, Powder stains to be mixed with sealer, and radica stains that are small tins of the radica material in browns, pinks, blues, and white...
Its a nice set. One day Ill master it... No more temp cases in the house at the moment, but well wait and see what comes in the door...
I am limited to the temps I can mill on my MCXL. I looked around and all I can find is a 55 block at the largest. Otherwise I would have milled this one... and layered it...

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Tip when using clear silicone, once injected place immediately in hydro flask.
I get great results this way

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Tip when using clear silicone, once injected place immediately in hydro flask.
I get great results this way
Ok so I just put it in the flask and something magical happens?
Its ok, I am already used to the putty...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I think id rather keep the 33 bucks and give them $2 worth of acrylic.. its just a temp... Having said that.. I just made a composite temp for a central, when I couldve just done acrylic. Its all about going above and beyond.

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
No magic just removes voids!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I am fortunate to work in a lab that the owner prides in quality. Money doesn't seem to be a factor here. Neither does time. I've been told, "I don't care how long something takes, I just want quality." So were almost free to reschedule on a case by case basis if we need more time. Also, the owner buys the most expensive products and materials for us to use. Again, were very fortunate. At the same time, there's only two of us. My ceramist builds the porcelain and stains/glazes the Emax. I do everything else. I'm a machine. From model work to framework and everything in between. From cad/cam to answering the phones. From waxing/pressing to sweeping up the lab. Its all me. So it's like I am spending 50hrs a week in a dental lab playground where were free to explore, learn, challenge, and exercise our talents at our own degree. Again, were very fortunate. Also our units average $295.00 a unit. :) also the owner built the lab two years ago from the floor up. Everything new. The two of us share 10 benches. Lol

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Whats your favorite thing about living in NYC? Sounds like a sweet gig..

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Whats your favorite thing about living in NYC? Sounds like a sweet gig..
I like that its the center of the universe. I like that I sold my car and don't have to drive anymore. I like that there are more brunettes than blondes. I like that I'm surrounded by people from all over the world. Since moving here I started to drink coffee, eat sushi, and quit smoking. Love love love it here.