Positioners and Material suppliers

G

GO_Ortho

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a client who wants to start doing positioners. He's pretty set on using Vinyl. Wondering what material is best, and what processing methods are out there. Also looking for a company that can supply the machine and material.

Thanks

George

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
When I worked at T.P. and inter-america we used silicone rods. The process on it's own fairly easy, put the rod (cut to desired length) into a horseshoe form pressed onto the mounted lower to a particular depth, lower the mounted upper cast into the rod, and boil. then cut, trim and polish... but the form that holds the silicone and the special articulated vice type object were specially made by a machinest for us. I'm not sure what is on the market that works...maybe someone on the forum will know where to get equipment...

Just curious have you ever done positioners before?

Last edited:
G

GO_Ortho

Reaction score
Yes, done plenty! I worked for a large lab when I first started my career and did them back then. We did them In silicone, rubber, and used the Ivocap for Vinyl ones. We had the flasks custom made back then, I'm assuming that there has been some advancement in material technology since then, and wonder what is out there, as I am having a hard finding anything on the web for suppliers and techniques.

T

tap

Reaction score
Hi George
I was in charge of positioner processing at Specialty Appliances in Georgia a few years back until they phased them out--along with my position! Anyway I have extensive experience with all aspects of positioners. You may pick my brain anytime IF I can pick yours! I'm never too old for new info or techniques.
Talk to you soon, Tim

T

tap

Reaction score
Silicone positioners

When I worked at T.P. and inter-america we used silicone rods. The process on it's own fairly easy, put the rod (cut to desired length) into a horseshoe form pressed onto the mounted lower to a particular depth, lower the mounted upper cast into the rod, and boil. then cut, trim and polish... but the form that holds the silicone and the special articulated vice type object were specially made by a machinest for us. I'm not sure what is on the market that works...maybe someone on the forum will know where to get equipment...

Hey Michelle
Just curious about those silicone rods of which you speak. Do you remember where they were purchased? Any leads would be great. I can get medical grade silicone from Dow Corning but my God you have to jump through rings of fire to get what you need (probably due to past lawsuits, body implantation and legalese BS)
Thanks very much! Hopefully hear from you soon, Tim

T

tap

Reaction score
Positioners

Hey Michelle
I noticed on your web site that you don't have positioners listed. Are they not profitable in your neck of the woods? Or not worth the effort?
Thanks, Tim

T

tap

Reaction score

Were the silicone rods called "Oralastic" from Gnathodontic Services (don't know their location)? I found them--accidentally

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I've made a couple of positioners using a biostar and clear mouthguard material (EVA?),there are detailed instructions in the Great Lake's big blue book.

Top Bottom