Lab in a Box

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Who is going to change the wrong shade they gave you the first time though or add the contact they ground off or the tooth shifted?

we wont be "reshading" or "adding"

its technically possible, but it would eat too much of the machine's time to be worth it. remaking it would actually be a better use of the time.

its not that the machine won't be capable, of course it will be, but it doesnt make sense to optimize the software in light of misuse.

besides which its not going to be for sale to just everyone with 2 million dollars to spend. we have decided to screen applicants.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
but i could make a dedicated repair, reline, add, and reshade machine ...

hmm...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I bet it won't fit in a boxEviltongue

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the repair bot surely would. the production bot, no not exactly, not YET anyhow..

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Years ago CHL and I were discussing where the future will take us.

I had a dream of a mobile lab with a van and a cart but it didn't make financial sense.

He coined the term " Lab in a Box" and I made it happen.

Thursday marks 4 years since CadCrowns implemented a new strategy that would change the way we do business with dentists. Crappy impressions are almost a thing of the past and all my implant cases are done with an IOS.

I'm not taking over the world here but it was the best business decision I have made in my 40 years as a technician.

Life is good when you take chances.

28377865_10210971595318465_3415437931810562600_n.jpg
Sounds interesting tell me more.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I am trying to grasp the whole idea here so humor me. It makes more financial and production sense to remill to change shade or add .5mm to a contact? I suppose it would because it’s not that we have to do really that many of those type of adjustments. I would rather not have to have a ceramist sitting there just to do that.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I am trying to grasp the whole idea here so humor me. It makes more financial and production sense to remill to change shade or add .5mm to a contact? I suppose it would because it’s not that we have to do really that many of those type of adjustments. I would rather not have to have a ceramist sitting there just to do that.
theres one BIG reason i dont want to go down that road (of reshade, or adding)

the design, the scan, the manufacture is (for me) going to be entirely hands off. yes, i'm going to teach an AI how to scan, design, build, and finish all manner of prosthetics.

initially i will want all the adding and repairing, and reshading. that's only going to make my robot that much more robust in its capacity to understand the shortcomings of the scan/design/building process in order to get it right.

however as we know, contacts vary from dr to dr, from impression to impression, and from die stone to die stone. so while i want to recognize those plusses and minuses of the sizes and shrinkages of all the factors at play (if i know dr X has usually tight contact temps, uses material Z) i can calculate the perfect expansions and tolerances. once its set, i no longer need to work towards perfecting the prosthetics until the doctor makes a change. these changes can be tracked, quantified, and accounted for.

so i will have no reason to accept this kind of work from some other doctor looking for quick work or a new lab. start from scratch or dont bother.

my bot, my rules. i cant teach it nuance until we nail down the first cases with consistency. then i can make cases that never need adding and new shading. thats kinda the point of robotics.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
theres one BIG reason i dont want to go down that road (of reshade, or adding)

the design, the scan, the manufacture is (for me) going to be entirely hands off. yes, i'm going to teach an AI how to scan, design, build, and finish all manner of prosthetics.

initially i will want all the adding and repairing, and reshading. that's only going to make my robot that much more robust in its capacity to understand the shortcomings of the scan/design/building process in order to get it right.

however as we know, contacts vary from dr to dr, from impression to impression, and from die stone to die stone. so while i want to recognize those plusses and minuses of the sizes and shrinkages of all the factors at play (if i know dr X has usually tight contact temps, uses material Z) i can calculate the perfect expansions and tolerances. once its set, i no longer need to work towards perfecting the prosthetics until the doctor makes a change. these changes can be tracked, quantified, and accounted for.

so i will have no reason to accept this kind of work from some other doctor looking for quick work or a new lab. start from scratch or dont bother.

my bot, my rules. i cant teach it nuance until we nail down the first cases with consistency. then i can make cases that never need adding and new shading. thats kinda the point of robotics.
That sounds good but I think there are variables that we have been dealing with since the beginning of dentistry that will still be almost impossible to teach AI. Bad temps,bad Dr.s, unstable dentition etc. I would love to see someone be able to overcome these challenges. I just think the human factor is always going to mess with us technicians.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
They book me in for the scan and I leave with the case.
Follow up question. What are you charging for your time spent providing your chair side scanning service?

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
I have the idea to do this for denture Wax try In. bring the In house lab to the doctors.
Lab in a box is a great name.
I thought of, smiles for miles

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
...variables that we have been dealing with since the beginning of dentistry that will still be almost impossible to teach AI..
Famous last words...
“Fooling around with alternating current (AC) is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.” — Thomas Edison
“The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank
"There's a world market for about 5 computers
—Thomas Watson, president of IBM

... careful what you predict

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Follow up question. What are you charging for your time spent providing your chair side scanning service?
It's part of my digital model fee.