Is it time to buy a scanner, projet printer?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No problem. It's my buddy. Used to work with him.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
trios can't do a bar you say?

hmmm.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I wouldn't use it to scan for a bar case on multi-units.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no doubt because he believes the STL data to be too low resolution to mill an accurate bar.

however that becomes a moot point with cam software that adds implant surface data to the stl (such as delcam) for accurate machining.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would assume it's(trios) as accurate if not more accurate than a D900?

Does that mean it's impossible to do any bar case with an intra oral scanner?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
I would assume it's(trios) as accurate if not more accurate than a D900?

Does that mean it's impossible to do any bar case with an intra oral scanner?

Ill think this would destroy my knowledge of scanners but its real simple to measure no problem.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I've heard that the Trios scanner isn't as accurate in microns as lets say the

D900. I've sent an email to 3Shape to verify this. Waiting...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think the Trios is less than 14 microns?

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
so what scanner do you think would work for his volume and situation? I'm in the same boat.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've heard that the Trios scanner isn't as accurate in microns as lets say the

D900. I've sent an email to 3Shape to verify this. Waiting...

I would say they are both the same at least.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

Here was their response:

"I have the information for our desktop scanners. Still waiting to hear back about our TRIOS scanner in terms of accuracy from an associate of mine. As far as the desktop scanners go, it ranges from between 7-10 microns for crown and bridge, and between 8-12 microns for implant bar cases, between our D500, D700, D800 and D900 scanners."
-3Shape

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the CAD however, is only capable of 10um detail.

now quantify that with the CAM under consideration. printers vary from 16um to 200um accuracy. very strong and expensive mills can be accurate to 3um and repeatable to 2um.

so the question that follows "should i buy a scanner" should always be followed with "should i also buy a mill"

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

17 x 20 x 18 mm <20 µm this is the resolution for the measuring field and on a reseller page up to 5 units possible never ever as a D 900 not in thousand years to have the same field you have to match 16 up to 20 fields and with an overlapping of 50 % you need 32 up to 40 fields and this is not possible with zero deviation. And they need for the 900 a special match plate to reduce deviation for implant bars

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Ok. I got a response from 3Shape just now and here it is for the Trios:

Good morning Kent,

I had already sent you specs on our tabletop scanners, and with speaking to an associate of mine about the TRIOS, here is what he had said:

In general it is very hard to give an exact description of the accuracy, because it depends a lot on the way it is measured. For TRIOS, all scanners, as part of the outgoing inspection, scan a ceramic sphere with a radius of 7.500 mm and have to find a radius between 7.480 and 7.520 – this is typically what we refer to, when we say that the precision of TRIOS is < 20 mu

I'm going to close this case out, but if you have any further questions, please let me know.

There you go guys. Like I said, the table top scanner is a lot more accurate than

the hand held from 3Shape.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's quite a leap in logic Kent. "In general it is very hard to give an exact description of the accuracy, because it depends a lot on the way it is measured".

However if we are comparing apples to apples then perhaps hand scanning a model to fabricate a bar may not be as accurate as a D900.

If we are hand scanning a model to do c&b compared to a D900 then it doesn't matter.

If we are comparing a Trios IOS to lab scanning a model made from a pvs impression then the Trios is far more accurate.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
That's quite a leap in logic Kent. "In general it is very hard to give an exact description of the accuracy, because it depends a lot on the way it is measured".

However if we are comparing apples to apples then perhaps hand scanning a model to fabricate a bar may not be as accurate as a D900.

If we are hand scanning a model to do c&b compared to a D900 then it doesn't matter.

If we are comparing a Trios IOS to lab scanning a model made from a pvs impression then the Trios is far more accurate.
+

Thats how the danish guys argument its their kind of meteorology , ball measuring.

But your wrong in your adoption yes ios is better but thats the part of the impression material not the scanner a D 900 kills a trios 10 times .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The D900 only runs on impression material LOL.