Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom Scanners?

• Thread starter Nu Technologies
  • Start date

Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom

• Identica Blue

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Degree of Freedom

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters
H

herb

Reaction score
Geforce is a great gaming card but Nvidea's Quadro cards are top dog for CAD if you have money to burn. I went with AMD's Firepro m6100 cuz' I don't have extra cash for kindling. It has performed great,..very stable. I should mention that I opted for a Z-book mobile workstation. I have the need for mobility and today's mobile are every bit as capable as a desktop so why wouldn't ya'? Dock out and dash!!

17.3 Z-book
Intel I7 4960 hq
32gb ram ddr3
AMD Firepro m6100

Scrollin' and rollin' baby!!!! Burnout

AMD is not recommended by Medit or exocad. It is cheap card for amateur gaming.
Nothing professional uses AMD.
The software (exocad) is written for NVidia products, or Intel graphics only.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
AMD is not recommended by Medit or exocad. It is cheap card for amateur gaming.
Nothing professional uses AMD.
The software (exocad) is written for NVidia products, or Intel graphics only.

You are absolutely correct,..ExoCad was designed around Nvidia and it's CUDA cores , but there's a bit more to it,......
To put it in Tillman's words, "wenn es ist nicht Quadro es ist Scheisse"
Nvidia makes a great card, there is no question about that but I see a lot of people here talking about
GEForce. This is not a graphics card designed for CADwork. It's a high end gaming card that can handle basic CADwork
by default because of it's CUDA cores.

As for AMD's Firepro series, I think your wrong here. I found some reading that might interest you. If your like Tillman however
You probably already have your mind made up,..I can tell you that in my experience anyway the Firepro M6100 has been fast, stable
and very "professional"(and saved me a bundle!!!)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-FirePro-M6100.104947.0.html

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I use a mobile workstation if your wondering why I have the M version (doesn't matter though)

Also,..Medit is a Solutionix reseller like Identica and a slew of others,..they probably heard AMD and thought " hmmm,..aren't
those the guys that made that stupid Pacer terrarium car,..no,..no,..we don't recommend them"!! ;)

adam_medit

adam_medit

Reaction score
As to why Medit recommends not using AMD...

Basically, there is a compatibility problem between the camera and USB chipset which is used in the mainboard of AMD CPUs.

Medit scanners are using the PGR (Point Grey) cameras, and Point Grey's recommended configuration is with the Intel 7 (Ivy Bridge),Intel 8 (Haswell),and Intel 9 (Broadwell). They do not recommend configurations with AMD processors.

If you need further information, please refer to the 1.4.4 Unsupported Configurations on page 4 (PDF).

Of course, we cannot say that all configurations will or will not work, but these are our recommendations based on the components we use since compatibility problems between the camera and host controller (USB chipset) might occur.

Also, if you are interested in additional restrictions:

1. The 5-meter cable is not recommended for laptops or board controller.
2. If the scanner is connected to a hub device, the camera cannot be recognized with particular devices.
========

I hope this helps clear some things up regarding our recommendations. Also, it should be noted that Medit is the parent company of the Solutionix, Identica, and colLab brands -- not a reseller. :)

Obviously, if you have any questions, please email me or post here.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score

Basically, there is a compatibility problem between the camera and USB chipset which is used in the mainboard of AMD CPUs.

Medit scanners are using the PGR (Point Grey) cameras, and Point Grey's recommended configuration is with the Intel 7 (Ivy Bridge),Intel 8 (Haswell),and Intel 9 (Broadwell). They do not recommend configurations with AMD processors.

If you need further information, please refer to the 1.4.4 Unsupported Configurations on page 4 (PDF).

Of course, we cannot say that all configurations will or will not work, but these are our recommendations based on the components we use since compatibility problems between the camera and host controller (USB chipset) might occur.

2. If the scanner is connected to a hub device, the camera cannot be recognized with particular devices.
========

I hope this helps clear some things up regarding our recommendations. Also, it should be noted that Medit is the parent company of the Solutionix, Identica, and colLab brands -- not a reseller. :)

OK,...

The question was whether or not AMD's Firepro line of graphics cards were "cheap cards for ametuer gaming"
Nobody said anything about CPU's.

I was wrong it seems about Medit being a reseller of Solutionix products. I appreciate the heads up however
I do have a question for you,...which came first, the chicken or the egg? Hmmmm2

http://meditcompany.com/about-medit/history.html

http://www.solutionix.com/main/bbs/solutionix-history.html

Just curious,....

adam_medit

adam_medit

Reaction score
OK,...

The question was whether or not AMD's Firepro line of graphics cards were "cheap cards for ametuer gaming"
Nobody said anything about CPU's.

I was wrong it seems about Medit being a reseller of Solutionix products. I appreciate the heads up however
I do have a question for you,...which came first, the chicken or the egg? Hmmmm2

http://meditcompany.com/about-medit/history.html

http://www.solutionix.com/main/bbs/solutionix-history.html

Just curious,....

Haha :) Actually Solutionix was founded in 2000 as an industrial 3D scanning solutions company. Then in 2010, Medit, and its dental brand were formed. It is a nice symbiotic relationships that allows us to stay on top of the curve with research and development.

Sorry for not answering properly on the graphics cards. I am an idiot with these things and just asked our R&D team about AMD, so I responded with what they gave me.

Last edited:
LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Haha :) Actually Solutionix was founded in 2000 as an industrial 3D scanning solutions company. Then in 2010, Medit, and its dental brand were formed. It is a nice symbiotic relationships that allows us to stay on top of the curve with research and development.

Sorry for answering properly on the graphics cards. I am an idiot with these things and just asked our R&D team about AMD, so I responded with what they gave me.

No Adam ,.....man,..your not a moron dude,...now Herb,...well,...hmmmmmmmm ;)

A

AdrianB

Reaction score

========

Adam are you using a medit identical blue? If yes for how long. I have a new DOF. After 10 cases, it's done i have to send it back for repairs. I am looking at other options. One is Medit. Worth it or not? Thanks. Adrian

A

AdrianB

Reaction score
we personally prefer the Identica blue it has more name recognition and and has been on the market longer
Hi Michael, it's funny , my small corporation in California is called Biodent. Anyway how long have you worked with the Identica blue scanner. I got a new HD DOF scanner. Used it on 10 cases and i have to send it in for repairs. I am planning to replace it. Do you sell the Identica Blue. Doe's it come with computer? Do you sell scan abutments too> Call me tomorrow. 805-637-3482, Thanks. Adrian Berari.

A

AdrianB

Reaction score
Identica Blue owner here ..( Purchased from Chris Brown 15 months ago, most knowledgeable guy out there)
Excellent scanner....Solidly built , it's been a "workhorse" and very reliable. Couldn't be happier
Hi Larry , do you have the Identica Blue 2015 scanner? Can you give me your phone to call you please. Thanks. Adrian or you can call me at 805-637-3482

adam_medit

adam_medit

Reaction score
Adam are you using a medit identical blue? If yes for how long. I have a new DOF. After 10 cases, it's done i have to send it back for repairs. I am looking at other options. One is Medit. Worth it or not? Thanks. Adrian
Hi Adrian, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with DOF. Actually, I work at Medit (so I am a bit biased),but I do recommend our scanners. Compared to the competition I think they hold up very well in terms of speed, accuracy, and overall functionality. We have published some new pieces on the Identica Blue 2015 on our blog that go into some of the details regarding size, speed, accuracy, etc. Also, feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Hope your excitement will not die on you. I got mine 1 month ago. 10 cases later i have to send it back for repairs. Adrian.

Hope so too. What problems did you run into, if I might ask?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Ah, ok. I'm not too worried then.
There were 2 issues we needed to address here around the usb3 hub (the compatible chipset issues adam noted above matter a great deal) and a bad connection issue which is already mostly resolved. If there were further issues, I would greatly appreciate you sharing. The scans I'm getting are very good so far, but I need more exo traning to be efficient.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
On the subject of DOF scanners I found out last week that my support person at Origin/B&D James (Jim) Campbell is no longer with them. Unfortunately the replacement was unable to help with my inquiry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Are you sure pjd? what happened? Jim is my buddy, do you have any idea where he is? this is bad news for B&D.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
I guess it is true, I received a letter from Steve Hehl this week saying that B&D will be downsizing its equipment sales, transferring their support to Core 3D. Sad news for not long ago a thriving company.
James (Jim) Campbell is no longer at B&D and if anybody knows his whereabouts please let us know, I'll like to keep in touch with him.
Our old lost friend PRIME, will take over DOF scanner sales.