Few 3Shape-Server planning Questions

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

so we are planning to switch to have 3Shape Dental System as Server-Version, to get consistent settings on all clients, include good backup strategy etc.

It's 4 WS ( Dental Designer 2016 (D800),2021 (1x2021 E3 scanner, 1x2022 shining scanner, 1x2021 smartoptics scanner) on our side.

ATM all local installations, 2x Dongle, partially floating licenses.

Few Questions from my side to someone with Dental Manager Server-Experience:

1. Does Scanning work on any client machine without a local dongle ( for the E3 Scanner especially ) ? I think scanners used to need a local dongle for scanning ( we have 1 old D800 on a 2016 WS which only works this way, apart from the usb1-restrictions).

2. The Dental-Manager Server needs a local path for database i guess ( could this be a Network path?),can this path be copied/archived automatically to a network-share ( daily/weekly? ),to be included in an automated online-backup.

3. i would like to have the server to manage both dongles ( so they could be used on 1-2 local installations in case of server/dongle Failure. ( on localhost:27027 on the dongle serving machine one can see, that it should be able to manage multiple dongles).
Any thoughts / experience on multi Dongle use appreciated, i want that as a backup. ( we waited for a replacement dongle over 1 week last time).

Thanks in advance

Happy Teething

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Hi there!

Let me provide some info, I'll reuse your questions to answer in-line.

1. Does Scanning work on any client machine without a local dongle ( for the E3 Scanner especially ) ? I think scanners used to need a local dongle for scanning ( we have 1 old D800 on a 2016 WS which only works this way, apart from the usb1-restrictions).

One scanner can be operated by any client. On the client, when you launch ScanIT module, you can click the settings (gear) icon and in the "Scanner Path", replace "Localhost" with the IP address (possibly computer name, never tried though) of the computer that has the scanner plugged in. The dongles only need to be plugged into the server, licences will be distributed automatically.

2. The Dental-Manager Server needs a local path for database i guess ( could this be a Network path?),can this path be copied/archived automatically to a network-share ( daily/weekly? ),to be included in an automated online-backup.

When 3Shape is installed as a server, network shares will be automatically created for your cases database and manufacturing output folder.
You can then back these files up with the backup solution of your choice. Ultimately, the files usually reside in the C:\3shape folder on the server.
I would recommend also capturing C:\3Shape Configuration for materials and settings.

In Dental System control panel, you can also use the backup and restore functionality to create official backups.

3. i would like to have the server to manage both dongles ( so they could be used on 1-2 local installations in case of server/dongle Failure. ( on localhost:27027 on the dongle serving machine one can see, that it should be able to manage multiple dongles).
Any thoughts / experience on multi Dongle use appreciated, i want that as a backup. ( we waited for a replacement dongle over 1 week last time).
You can start by plugging all your existing dongles into the server and the licences will be made available to any client (floating).
I've seen some people set it up so one of the dongles has a Stand-Alone licence that they can remove from the server and plug into another computer to make it stand-alone. For example, during the day it's in the server for a full seat, but at night or on weekends, they plug it into a laptop to take home.
This only work if the licence on the dongle is "stand-alone". You can't do this with an "additional seat" licence to my knowledge.

Be careful however with data management because when you use a system as stand-alone, the case data will be store locally and won't be part of your dataset on the server until you manually import the cases back into the main dataset.

For the server computer, it's recommended to dedicate a computer for this purpose that will not be used as a design station.
For instance, mine was in a separate room, didn't have a display, keyboard or mouse connected and I managed it remotely (Microsoft Remote Desktop is free and works just fine).
This way, you reduce the risks of human error causing crashes or the need to restart and the computer's resources are all used towards its intended purpose.
You don't need a hugely powerful machine, but do invest in a decent CPU (Intel Core i5/i7/i9 13600 and up),fast storage (I usually do 1TB M.2 SSD boot drive for Windows and 3Shape + additional SSDs for case storage and backup).
RAM nowadays is not that expensive so target 32GB minimum, 64GB ideally for future proofing.

The server doesn't need a powerful GPU (graphics card). I usually recommend using the integrated one.
If your network supports it or for future proofing, I would also try to get a motherboard that has a 2.5GbE or 10GbE network card.

The main thing that your client systems will need from the server is fast file transfer, so fast SSD into a fast network is the way to go.

Auto-save interval on clients should be set up to be frequent enough that you won't lose work in the case of a crash or sudden server reboot, but you'll notice the saves (the design will hang up/freeze for a few seconds, which can get annoying. Fast server and network will help mitigate). I do 5 or 10min auto-saves.

Where are you located? I wanna guess Germany?

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Hi AAD,

that's huge info for starting, thank you very much.
Yes we're in Germany.

I just tested the scanserver setting with the e3 in another building which already works perfectly ( Yes, Computername works just fine ),that's fun to see and blew my mind :D

It doesn't connect with the D800 Scanserver though if anyone is interested in that ( i think we were told 2016 was the max Version for the D800? ).

Good tips on the machine, gotta talk with IT but i think we already have a relatively new Windows Server 2016 or 2019 running which should be perfect for DentalManager, as this should be also the machine doing the backups and have 1GB connection or even 10GB i think.

Can Dental System Control Panel be accessed and configured by any Workstation then? I guess that could be configured on the Server.

Huge thanks

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score

D900 has been running around 4 years on remote dongle (versions used DS/DM 2019, 2020, 2021)

Having database files in network location means extra latency and extra cpu usage on DM-Server machine. This becomes issue when dealing with multiple 3shape clients. I would recommend keeping local database on DM-Server and set up nightly backups, which copies database from DM-Server to network location.

I cant remember for sure, but i think SQL express can be set (with sqlcmd tool) to backup files to a network location: read more here - and i think think it might be possible to set up schedule daily database backup using SQL management studio (database dump to a network share) ". And if these dont work, Windows has its own Scheduled Jobs, which can be used to "raw copy" database files into network location (included in backup)

BUT its possible to install SQLExpress manually (but not directly from 3shape installation) with desired configuration (set up database instances on shared folder) but then you need to create schemas/databases manually and you need to add permissions manually! 3shape defaults to certain database username and pw so... This thing requires understanding of SQL Express installation, use of SQL management studio (or command line commands) and damn good undestanding on 3shape as well. After doing manual things, then you can run custom 3s installation. In this scenario DM-Server connects to "local" SQL service and clients connect to DM-Server. SQL Express running on Server handles access to databases which just sits in network share.

Multiple dongles are possible. I would be cautious in a situations where there is "overlapping" licences (eg. two licences on same material) and you run some custom semi-standalone installation on any clients. if you keep one dongle disconnected and in case of failure plug other in, then there should be no problems.

Can Dental System Control Panel be accessed and configured by any Workstation then? I guess that could be configured on the Server.
With pure Server-Client installations, and depending on finer details of a software, clients(workstations usually share configuration - but then, there are exceptions. Im not entirely is DSCPs configuration local or shared, but C:\3shape Configuration on DS-Server is shared to network. Im making an assumption that DSCP configuration files are shared and most likely accessible from any workstation (and changing them in any station will affect on all stations)

Personally i like separation: if one need to change things on DM-server change it locally - if station is in other building or room then use Windows Remote Desktop (one must enable that feature in windows first) to connect to DM-server and launch DSCP on DM-server and make changes on DM-server

EDIT:

Also one other thing to be noted: Assing static IP-address to DM/DS/Dongle Server and it give it network name that you will not change - ever. And dont change network share (sharing name) where you store scans (location specified in OrderDirectory option in DSCP). If Order Directory changes that will cause problems opening cases scanned before the change: in Dental System the OrderDirectory is HARDCODED into xml-file associated to scans on time of saving scans! it means that one xml file has _fixed_ path to scans instead of "reference to Current Configuration". if you change OrderDirectory, fixed path in already saved xml file (associated to scans) does not change.

Last edited: