Full Contour Zirconia

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I just realized I received a case today fir 22-27 Bruxzir.... 23mm between 22 and 27 and patient does not want any metal. 8 tenths of room on facial of 22 and about the same on 27. I will post pics of this one too PDC but it will be a couple of weeks. I will post a few tomorrow that i will be finishing up.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
The Crystal stuff was 850mpa, i think this was because they were impregnating it with alumina to get the extra translucency.

The new super translucent TOSOH stuff (which loads of places are selling but just re-rebranding under different names) is 1200mpa.

What ive used of it so far seems good.

I think it's actually the other way round, Alumina is added to Zirconia to increase strength, the down side is that the Alumina also increases opacity.

So to increase Translucency reduce the Alumina which also lowers the strength.

The TOSOH translucent Zirconia contains the same amount of alumina as normal hence the higher stength than Crystal Zr , the difference is the size of the alumina particles has been reduced significantly increasing the transluceny.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
alumina is weaker than zirconia and also more translucent so is odd that its the otherway round, but im no expert.

thanks for clarifying.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I was told by an R&D pal that the problem of opacity and he said also possible links to de laminating is the yttrium that is used to stabilise the Zr so all the big boys are playing about with reduced yttrium and yttrium free Zr to give better bonding properties and increased translucency.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
better bonding to the porcelain or to the tooth?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
better bonding to the porcelain or to the tooth?

The porcelain! Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. Its just good to see that the product is evolving all the time. So I think we will see drops in strength and more trans until they get the "mix" spot on.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
when you say "bond" you mean mechanical retention right?

would also love to see some pics..have yet to see any translucency in FC Zr except with a light or laser shoved into the crown..

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
The coefficient of thermal expansion that allows for the harmonious application of porcelain onto yttrium stabilised zirconium

Main Entry: bond
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: fasten; stick
Synonyms: bind, connect, fix, fuse, glue, paste,

You really don't like zirconium do you

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
Apparently Prettau Zirconia (which is used for full contour) will become even more translucent if sintered under argon gas. Does anyone have pictures for comparison?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
PDC, this is Bruxzir using Emax stains.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__H6FxEtd_NyY_TjnLpEZ2bDI_AAAAAAAAFoo_DF7IH0reE4E_s912_IMG_2052.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__p7TFGeEmRSE_TjnLkstVAbI_AAAAAAAAFn4_0gxGWDf8oIA_s912_IMG_2047.jpg

This is Diazir with Diazir stains
alh5.googleusercontent.com__lxgAKUiKVdI_TlbF6jpI6iI_AAAAAAAAGAc_3_PqhSZTZiY_s912_IMG_2280.jpg
I will post another pic of this case later. I have made a few alterations to adjust value but did not have time today to get photos. This material looks really nice in person. This Doctor preps very little so these crowns are about 5 to 8 tenths thick in places on the facials.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__H6FxEtd_NyY_TjnLpEZ2bDI_AAAAAAAAFoo_DF7IH0reE4E_s912_IMG_2052.jpg alh5.googleusercontent.com__p7TFGeEmRSE_TjnLkstVAbI_AAAAAAAAFn4_0gxGWDf8oIA_s912_IMG_2047.jpg alh5.googleusercontent.com__lxgAKUiKVdI_TlbF6jpI6iI_AAAAAAAAGAc_3_PqhSZTZiY_s912_IMG_2280.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The milling center I am using is going to start doing one coat of body stain inside and out and incisal stain to help control value. I am working with them to get it where I want so I have a little more control over the end result while not creating value issues.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
NicelyMKV,

Thanks for posting the pics of the Bruxzir material...first I've seen of these. It appears that the incisal 1/3 almost has a layered appearance. It looks very natural but there appears to be a very distinctive junction line between the inc. 1/3 and middle 1/3. Is this normal for the Bruxzir material?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Nice shade and the value apears to be very good from a buccal view, can't tell from an occlusal view, will assume its high ?
Are you staining a little darker than the given shade ? are your doctors saying the shades on full contour come out light in the mouth, or maybe there giving a slightly darker shade ??
Charles

Hi Charles,

I have just begun to offer these and that is why I'm trying to get some feedback and pics from forum members. I actually have a titanium crown which is adjacent to this FCZ. I hope to post some pics of them side by side where you will be able to see and compare the incisal translucencies. It's hard to get docs to take pics of posterior crowns.:) I think it is a great esthetic option for those patients with limited clearance and who demand no metal.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
PDC, that weird looking junction line is just the way the flash from the camera reflected. I did a double take at the crown after seeing the photos.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__yhDcOs16RMc_TjnLmak5cdI_AAAAAAAAFoM_o1hDigwtE1Q_s912_IMG_2049.jpg
alh4.googleusercontent.com__yhDcOs16RMc_TjnLmak5cdI_AAAAAAAAFoM_o1hDigwtE1Q_s912_IMG_2049.jpg

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
That's good to know. The crown definitely appears to have more translucency than the one I took a pic of. Thanks for sharing.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
okay... that bridge looks pretty nice for Zr....nice stain work nicely..I still hate Zr but those look pretty nice as far as esthetics goes.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
alh6.googleusercontent.com__V6LeJM0iBao_TmGgeSGvJdI_AAAAAAAAGF8_7tbQyDzScJE_s912_IMG_2314.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__EKBPAfPVR_M_TmGgojLYIaI_AAAAAAAAGGI_nERJZnT5g7o_s912_IMG_2320.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__mnjpGD1ixI8_TmGgp1mLLmI_AAAAAAAAGGQ__yHv6TaKcWI_s912_IMG_2322.jpg

I am still working on getting good results with FCZ but I really think it is possible to get some pretty nice work. I really like the blue grey stain in the Diazir stain kit. Just started using their kit and so far I really like the options.
alh6.googleusercontent.com__V6LeJM0iBao_TmGgeSGvJdI_AAAAAAAAGF8_7tbQyDzScJE_s912_IMG_2314.jpg alh4.googleusercontent.com__EKBPAfPVR_M_TmGgojLYIaI_AAAAAAAAGGI_nERJZnT5g7o_s912_IMG_2320.jpg alh4.googleusercontent.com__mnjpGD1ixI8_TmGgp1mLLmI_AAAAAAAAGGQ__yHv6TaKcWI_s912_IMG_2322.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Jason those crowns look great,,,nice job with the stains.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks dmon! I think in a few more generations of this material we will see some really nice results.

Thanks disturbed! I'm still scratching my head trying to decide about FZR.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
really like what you guys are doin. Just got some new material, high trans Zr from Italy and cant wait to do some full contour crowns with the new GC past glaze kit. Will try and post pics at end of the week.