FCZ'S D Shades

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
What combinations of zirconia, stains, shades are you using to get a D shade. A's and B's are very nice, C's take a little more work but D shades just don't have it. What techniques and materials are you using?

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
mix yellow,blue and grey brown (or C base shade) this will get you in the d3 and d4 range, its actually light C shade with a touch olive green. if you have an olive green in your kit, use this instead of the yellow and blue. I find it very difficult to hit these shades with the preshaded zirconia, If i get a d4, i send the file to CAP and ask for a D2. good luck.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I find C shades the hardest to hit with out a gob of post sintering stain. I have got D2 down pretty good, I use the light shaded disk with the brush on Weiland stain for D2 with a touch of gray/violet modifier on the incisal

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
D's are the easiest to get. normal d2 stain inside the crown and less paint on the outside of the crown (this step is Zirkonzahn fluid) then dab on the incisal some Tanaka Incisal Lightener fluid. just two or three normal strokes. for d3 we find the best is to repeat the d2 step but put a little incisal darkener fluid (tanaka) on the gingival.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
First of all wht zirconia and what dips

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We use Bruxzir material with their dips, usually we struggle the most on the C shades like John stated but our a, b, and d shades are great color and value. We actually dip our c shades in our d shades to get where we want on those.

We use GCs luster paste stains which are fantastic. When staining stain over a black cloth or something simular as the black cloth gives the crown a different look compared to you normal work bench.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of say about which zirconia or dips. Sending to CMC right now but open for suggestions.

Are you thinking about coloring/sintering your own cases, or inhouse with your own mill ?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Wanna try a couple with our milling center so you can compare?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Tyler, what kind of black cloth are you using,, where to buy ? or construction paper like we used in school ?
Great idea, I think ?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Construction paper will work fine, all we use it for is to try and simulate what it will look like in the mouth. You will be able to see the difference when holding it over your bench compared to the black background, you should have a color change a little.

We picked this up when we were at Glidewell this summer.