Exocad Users, Stand Up and Share Tips

C

charles007

Reaction score
Is there a best way to position the models when scanning? Buccal facing front, or back of the scanner, is there a difference in the scan?
Place molars and large models of posteriors with the buccal to the front on the model holder.
Anteriors - bicuspids place on model holder as usual with the centrals facing the front of model holder.
Placing your crowns in the front centers the preps/teeth, in the scanner and prevents so many added scans needed.
Most of my cases are large full arch models and I do this on every case. Trying to scan 2nd molars is almost impossible without centering the model on the model holder

I scan with the Medit SE scanner

Last edited:
Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Place molars and large models of posteriors with the buccal to the front on the model holder.
Anteriors - bicuspids place on model holder as usual with the centrals facing the front of model holder.
Placing your crowns in the front centers the preps/teeth, in the scanner and prevents so many added scans needed.
Most of my cases are large full arch models and I do this on every case. Trying to scan 2nd molars is almost impossible without centering the model on the model holder

I scan with the Medit SE scanner

I scan it like this. Never had any issues scanning with medit blue

20150129_160154_zpsc4025413.jpg

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Are there any advanced training or continuing ed courses for Exocad?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are there any advanced training or continuing ed courses for Exocad?
I've looked high and low, nada. If you are a reseller you may be able to go to the homeland and do some advanced training.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Ive never really been able to get consistent results in my occlusion. For those of you that are, are you scanning a bite registration or are your scanning the registered jaw?
When I put the bite through the articulator I also get inconsistent results from having to cut through the intrusions.
Whats your guys' secret?

What kind of putty are you using for the bite registrations?

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Ive never really been able to get consistent results in my occlusion. For those of you that are, are you scanning a bite registration or are your scanning the registered jaw?
When I put the bite through the articulator I also get inconsistent results from having to cut through the intrusions.
Whats your guys' secret?

What kind of putty are you using for the bite registrations?

I scan the complete jaw always, never done with putty. If you're going to mill wax/pmma, don't move parameters. But FCZ needs -0.015 to -0.022 (minus) oclusion adjustament. That works fine with EXO and my DWX50.
Anyway, sometimes i need to grind ...

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Putty only for single crowns ,rest always with full jaw cut off - 0.015 and approximal 0.005 , if you glue models together always inside , if you need additional bite to fix cut it back to the half occlusion side that the scanner is able to see the buccal walls the software needs that for matching. Dont cut off things before the whole matching process is done.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I've tried putty but occ was always high. If adjacent teeth had deep anatomy the bite didn't always seat completely. With all the trimming needed for the bites I really wasn't saving time so I scan all opposings.
When I adapt to the antagonist I will set the slide to 0.15 and "cut intersections" then move the slider to 0.37 and "shape preserving adaptation". The first cut creates nice wear facets and the second drops the occ for a total of 0.37mm out of occlusion. After sinter, stain and glaze the crown looks like it's in occlusion but the shim stock pulls through with no drag.

A.jeha

A.jeha

Reaction score
Have u guys found a way for upper n lower jaws resturations in once??

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
When detecting margins, does anybody have any idea if there is a setting to get better definition on margins. For example, I could have a die that has a very sharp, well defined margin, but in exocad, looks rounded. Drives me crazy!

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
What is your exo ver.? you have a good scanner!!

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
What is your exo ver.? you have a good scanner!!
I've been very happy with it, this is about the only thing that i'm not happy with. I still get great margins, but visually I feel it should replicate the structure of the margin of the die you scanned. I'm not sure which version I have, if I was at the lab I could check, my last update was Jan 2014.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Jand, we are running on 5521, you should either call your vendor and update your dongle or ask for support from them. EXOCAD is the #1 CAD software for labs and it will be officially announced on Friday at the Chicago meeting.

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
Jand, we are running on 5521, you should either call your vendor and update your dongle or ask for support from them. EXOCAD is the #1 CAD software for labs and it will be officially announced on Friday at the Chicago meeting.
We are running 5057, I'll probably just upgrade systems that way it'll come with the latest version and i'll have a better scanner!I have no doubt that EXOCAD is #1, feels good to be associated with such a great product!

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Have u guys found a way for upper n lower jaws resturations in once??
Just set up each arch in the DentalDB like usual (restoration and adjacent teeth). Don't worry about marking any of the teeth as an antagonist, they'll all be marked as adjacent. Save case and open DentalCADApp and the wizard will walk you through marking margins one arch at a time.
It can be time consuming designing an upper and lower restoration on opposing arches but not too bad. I will turn off every part of the upper arch to to position and design the lower tooth and the opposite when working on the upper tooth. Just make sure you don't click next until you've positioned the restorations both arches and definitely use the dist. to antagonist tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread but Can anyone tell me how to change materials/connections/restoration types after designing a case if this is possible? Also is there a way to eliminate the slight side to side wiggle over the ti bases when sending out stls to Argen and Glidewell for abutments/hybrid slm abutments/topcaps? You can pm me if you can help. Thank you in advance!:)