e.max , one bake and glaze

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Drizzt and others, on difficult anterior cases like these, which material are you getting better shades-results with, zirconia or emax ?
Is it all about knowing how to use your particular porcelain ?
Do you have a favorite if your working with a doctor that lets you choose between zirconia and emax ?
Lets start out by saying you rarely get a stump shade.

Great question !!!

I find I am getting better results with zirconia . I think it is all about knowing the material and what we are used to do in our daily routine . I have seen amazing results with all materials , and I have seen really bad results with all materials , so it is not a material thing .

I was never getting stump shade , but now this begins to change as I refuse to do a case unless I have it , regardless the material , e.max or zirconia .

Some docs are filled with Ivoclar bs about e.max , when they were telling e.max=perfect , zirconia=armagedon (before Wieland purchase , now zirconia is all good again !!) and think that it is the perfect material for all indications . I strongly disagree . So these docs are stuck with e.max . All the others let me choose what I want to do . I choose zirconia most of the times .

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hate to get off topic but I would like to expand this discussion on zirconia/emax.
With emax we have a stump shade chart to know which ingot to use per shade. With zirconia, what do you do if you know your dealing with a darker stump and given no stump shade or maybe given a stump shade ?
I've received several anteriors lately and told the stump is dark but no stump shade given.. pfz crowns. Guess I got lucky, no remakes so far.
The only thing I know to do is making sure the facial frame is .5 and I have used white un-colored zirconia. White un-colored zirconia seems to help a lot of the lighter 3D shades.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's a good idea Charles. I used white procera coping years ago before 3 shape but the fit was terrible.

I tend to slightly cut back a fcz rather than make a conventional coping.Sometimes that drill compensation can give you trouble if it sticks out.

I just coat the inner surface of the zir crown with opacious hybrid cement where it needs it( like on the inside of the drill compensation.)

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
That's a good idea Charles. I used white procera coping years ago before 3 shape but the fit was terrible.

I tend to slightly cut back a fcz rather than make a conventional coping.Sometimes that drill compensation can give you trouble if it sticks out.

I just coat the inner surface of the zir crown with opacious hybrid cement where it needs it( like on the inside of the drill compensation.)
I am intrigued by the idea of staining or coloring the inside of the restoration. If you use a cement, how do you factor in the displacement of dr. applied cements at the insertion?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Good question,

Sometimes the zirconia crown will mill to overcompensate for the shape of the carbide bur it uses. "this extra space can be filled in with a thin opacious cement.
I wouldn't attempt to completely line the inside of the crown with cement.Just enough to mask the potential dark area of the prep.I do the same for metal post and cores.
If space is an issue then I would probably opt for emax MO or even HO.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Filling the 'cement gap'...deja vu :p

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Drizzt, this is certainly by far your best yet!.. Great color and contours, looks a lot better than the original #9, very natural,,,,,Awesome!

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Drizzt, this is certainly by far your best yet!.. Great color and contours, looks a lot better than the original #9, very natural,,,,,Awesome!

Thanks dmonwaxa !! Value is a little off , but I got away because of the shape I think !!!

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hate to get off topic but I would like to expand this discussion on zirconia/emax.
With emax we have a stump shade chart to know which ingot to use per shade. With zirconia, what do you do if you know your dealing with a darker stump and given no stump shade or maybe given a stump shade ?
I've received several anteriors lately and told the stump is dark but no stump shade given.. pfz crowns. Guess I got lucky, no remakes so far.
The only thing I know to do is making sure the facial frame is .5 and I have used white un-colored zirconia. White un-colored zirconia seems to help a lot of the lighter 3D shades.

I am using framework zirconia , not translucent one , and I often go 1-2 shades brighter . I almost never build on a white frame , unless I have to do a very bright shade . I have managed to cover posts , with frame zirconia 0.6 thick . The hardest part to cover is the cervical area IMO . Frame is thiner , porcelain mass is less , so this is where it gets tricky , and it can ruin all the crown potentially .

C

charles007

Reaction score
Drizzt, sorry about my incorrect wording,, I also used uncolored frame zirconia like you, and sometimes use a quick skinny dip using a light coloring liquid shade.... not the old white zirconia....

C

charles007

Reaction score
Going to be interesting using the new next generation zirconia like Imagine/ZZ Anterior on unexpected dark stump shades

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I did a case with Dental Direkt's new hyper translucent zirconia . I really like it !! Unfortunately , I will never get photos from it ! 6 upper anterior , 6 lower anterior . Finished the upper and will finish the lower next week . It's not only the extra translucensy , it is also softer which makes it ideal for mono . I am waiting to have a patient I did a mono with it of a premolar , to come back for photos . Dentist told me it was awesome . Wait to see with my own eyes to believe .

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I did a case with Dental Direkt's new hyper translucent zirconia . I really like it !! Unfortunately , I will never get photos from it ! 6 upper anterior , 6 lower anterior . Finished the upper and will finish the lower next week . It's not only the extra translucensy , it is also softer which makes it ideal for mono . I am waiting to have a patient I did a mono with it of a premolar , to come back for photos . Dentist told me it was awesome . Wait to see with my own eyes to believe .
I have my first few test crowns in the sintering oven now. I will see how they did tomorrow morning;)

Did you sinter at 1450c?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I have my first few test crowns in the sintering oven now. I will see how they did tomorrow morning;)

Did you sinter at 1450c?

Yes , 1450 . Tomorrow I will also test the new coloring liquids . Have you tried them yet ?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Yes , 1450 . Tomorrow I will also test the new coloring liquids . Have you tried them yet ?
Those are the liquids I am testing with. You are talking about the red ones, right? They took the glucose out of it.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Those are the liquids I am testing with. You are talking about the red ones, right? They took the glucose out of it.

Yeah , those liquids . What do you think of them ? Better than the old ones ?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hey everyone , haven't posted for a while !!

24 single zirconia units , layered with e.max ceram . Have a great weekend everyone !!