Miyo overfire

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hey, just curious about this. I have fired my zirconia (ivoclar prime) I apparently use some black magic voodoo when contouring and polishing so when I fire it can sometimes come out 1-2 shades darker. Ivoclar says i've excited the color ions by grinding too hot. Maybe so it does get hot with the high shine polish, but when I run a rejuvenation on zirconia it goes back to original color. Its something dumb hot like 1050c. I use miyo glaze nothing bad will happen if there is glaze on it when I fire it in the center of the sun like that? I suspect some ceramist may die from firing glaze on marble setting. Chemically/Physically I cannot see how it would hurt the end product beyond being shiny. Correct me if I am wrong.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
chemistry GIF

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I don't know the specifics of MiYo but with most of the ceramic materials, firing at higher temps can cause changes in the structure of the material and most of what we do depends on specific crystalline structures. Some materials it doesn't matter, but some materials it can have catastrophic effect. If I have to do anything more than spot and polish, I run it in the regeneration program before I add glaze.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hey, just curious about this. I have fired my zirconia (ivoclar prime) I apparently use some black magic voodoo when contouring and polishing so when I fire it can sometimes come out 1-2 shades darker. Ivoclar says i've excited the color ions by grinding too hot. Maybe so it does get hot with the high shine polish, but when I run a rejuvenation on zirconia it goes back to original color. Its something dumb hot like 1050c. I use miyo glaze nothing bad will happen if there is glaze on it when I fire it in the center of the sun like that? I suspect some ceramist may die from firing glaze on marble setting. Chemically/Physically I cannot see how it would hurt the end product beyond being shiny. Correct me if I am wrong.
Hi JK

Well, I have encountered the same issue, but with Ivocolor. I'v expressed my frustration a couple times already (ZirCad Prime issues...). I have spoken to Ivoclar US, without much result (the 'excited' ions are new to me...). I recently even spoke to my contacts at the headquarter, but with the same result. I will try the regeneration firing cycle, again. If I remember correctly, it didn't worked the last time. I will attach an image from my last case, where some of the teeth experienced a color shift.

What frustrates me is that it is random. Sometimes it happens on just a couple of the restorations, in one arch out of the same puck! I really like the Prime Esthetic, when I do not have the color shift happening. Right now, I am looking for an alternative material.

And, it does not happen with any other zr product, like Argen.

As far as overglazed Myio, I guess it is a question of taste... I wouldn't want to do it on anteriors, though/

Anyway, good luck!

_MGB0052.jpeg _MGB0047.jpeg

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi JK

Well, I have encountered the same issue, but with Ivocolor. I'v expressed my frustration a couple times already (ZirCad Prime issues...). I have spoken to Ivoclar US, without much result (the 'excited' ions are new to me...). I recently even spoke to my contacts at the headquarter, but with the same result. I will try the regeneration firing cycle, again. If I remember correctly, it didn't worked the last time. I will attach an image from my last case, where some of the teeth experienced a color shift.

What frustrates me is that it is random. Sometimes it happens on just a couple of the restorations, in one arch out of the same puck! I really like the Prime Esthetic, when I do not have the color shift happening. Right now, I am looking for an alternative material.

As far as overglazed Myio, I guess it is a question of taste... I wouldn't want to do it on anteriors, though/

Anyway, good luck!

View attachment 44013 View attachment 44014
That would just scare the ...out of me and bye bye. Nonsense in this product age and yes Argen is purely predictable, Always. Excited ions, would love to read a paper on that, intrigued... Sure you can have phase shift within crystalline structure by over heating with grinding, heard that 1st from Ernst Hegenbarth. 2010. But seriously, present day, why would you even use such a technic sensitive material at all. Who needs that on top of everything else we need to Deliver.
I'm sorry, I planned intially on using Ivo prime but never ever heard anything but complaints, gradiant Not layers etc. Just imho, let them bring a better alternative to market 1st.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi JK

Anyway, good luck!

View attachment 44013 View attachment 44014
Btw, your pics remind me of Ivo Color ," pooling". Never ever experience that with MIyo. The liquid as with all Miyo is Magic imho. Had fits with Ivo color after trying multiple technic varios Unpredictable for me. Same as above often.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Btw, your pics remind me of Ivo Color ," pooling". Never ever experience that with MIyo. The liquid as with all Miyo is Magic imho. Had fits with Ivo color after trying multiple technic varios Unpredictable for me. Same as above often.
On these, I did not apply much color. Basically glaze with some characterization. Then a 'fixation' firing. On some I tried to 'polish' away the color shift...

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
On these, I did not apply much color. Basically glaze with some characterization. Then a 'fixation' firing. On some I tried to 'polish' away the color shift...
Wow, that's crazy. As if we don't have enough challenges...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I like the material, but am definitely looking into switching seems like every multiple anterior case has at least one unit that is just not uniform

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I like the material, but am definitely looking into switching seems like every multiple anterior case has at least one unit that is just not uniform
Make sure you report this to the 'authorities'... !

I like it too and it seems to be the most esthetic Zr material we have available. But the unpredictability is just too nerve wrecking and costly!!!