Bubbles in miyo glaze

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I’ve been using miyo for years without issue and suddenly am getting bubbles in my glaze - using two ovens an ep 5000 and pro 100, happens in both. It’s especially bad on emax veneers for some reason.
Called Jensen and they had me change oven parameters to no success.
Has anyone else had any issues lately? Any ideas ?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I’ve been using miyo for years without issue and suddenly am getting bubbles in my glaze - using two ovens an ep 5000 and pro 100, happens in both. It’s especially bad on emax veneers for some reason.
Called Jensen and they had me change oven parameters to no success.
Has anyone else had any issues lately? Any ideas ?
I’ve always had a hard time getting a good glaze on lithium disilicate. They don’t really look like bubbles, more like tiny areas of glaze that have chipped off. Zirconia is always flawless for me still.

Davor RDT

Davor RDT

Reaction score
If it is water in your brush, it will not interract properly with miyo. Clear indication is you'd get milky whiteish spotts and blotches. I wonder if it needs more drying time and if would help to have a slight underglaze wash before miyo application on Lithium disilicate? I have opted, due to use in anterior primarily, to layer and natural glaze/polish emax as of late. Miyo is great in most indications but I have better luck with a bit of good old fashion dry ceramic layering in small anterior cases. Far as using miyo structure over color and then glaze and polish on emax, it has had far better finish in my short experience with it since 2019 and more full time since 2021. Also without some miyo structure used strategically, surface texture deminishes with consequent firings in my short experience with it.
That was a bit more then 2 cents but I hope it helps. More like 3.5. LoL
Cheers!

A

adl

Reaction score
What’s worked for me is using glaze liquid only and Miyo on first bake. Wet your restauration with glaze liquid , apply Miyo. Drying time is 10-12 minutes , I don’t remember exactly. Then do a glaze bake for the second bake . Nowadays I use structure hi fusing after first bake , i do the final surface texture and then glaze. Hope it helps.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Doing a stain only on the first bake worked well on the two veneers I did today. Thanks for all the input.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Use emax glaze paste with Miyo stains

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
are you firing with vac?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
With emax I think I always do 2 glaze firings, the first usually soaks into the core.. If you want a semi gloss finish and then polish then one usually works, the 2nd round Ill just do a thinner glaze wash, and thicker on the areas I want to highlight. I lowered all my temps with miyo, firing at 770' now whether its layered with Lisi or not. Vacuum can wreak havoc on uncondensed porcelain, especially in the glaze.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Vacuum can wreak havoc on uncondensed porcelain, especially in the glaze.
this is true, hopefully the porcelain is condensed properly when applied.
what i found is that firing insync glaze with some vac helps a ton with final results.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
is anyone using a different glaze cycle for layered emax ? I have no issues with layered zir, those come out great. It’s mostly mono and layered emax and occasionally mono zir

Top Bottom