DWX50 skipping the fine milling stage

technician

technician

Reaction score
Ok same thing happened again. I Milled only two units to try because its a 23 unit case and I didn't want to do all I did a 26 and 12.
26 ok but 12 the same thing not milled correctly in the inside top. But I decided to do the rest because theres no time to investigate what's causing the problems. Of all 23 units five of them were not milled correctly.

The tool path thats missing is always inside at the top and mostly it seems on units with conical shaped inside.
I called my distributor on friday and He said, (drum roll, wait for it)....................-Yes it happens.:confused: Nice support....
Anyway He said he will try to contact Roland or Noritake and ask about the problem.

When I look at milling simulations and at the tool path pattern it looks ok.
I saw somewhere theres a test file for Roland machines, does anyone have it?

ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_20130519_123138_zps28d6fc37.jpg
Here you can see that the burr just didn't go all the way (in this picture) to the right. Its just a drill hole :)
ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_toolpath_zps1f064551.png
This is the tool path and it looks ok to me. (not all of the tool paths included in this picture)

Later I will mill the same crown and see if it'll come out differently.

Ok as user mir0 said I think it the PC doing some strange things when calculating or the cam software itself with this pc configuration.

I milled the crown again with new CAM calculation. And it turned out perfect.
Look at the new tool path compared to the old (newest is the first one below):
ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_errortoolpath_zpsedb3ed02.png
You can actually see where to burr made the "drill hole" on the tool path.
Ok so I now think its the PC thats doing strange stuff.

PC configuration:
CAM: WorkNC Dental (OEM Noritake)
ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_speccs_zpse25964e3.jpg

Is there any stress CAM program to run or something similar?
Or should I just upgrade it or buy new one?

Cheers!
ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_20130519_123138_zps28d6fc37.jpg ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_toolpath_zps1f064551.png ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_errortoolpath_zpsedb3ed02.png ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_speccs_zpse25964e3.jpg

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
It is not your PC.

Tool-paths look the same to me, but just a different angle.

You are also just showing us the Roughing tool path, and not the final finishing.

The roughing may not be able to go as deep, due to radius of the 2mm tool. Then, the 1mm tool would finish and go deeper.

I still am lost to what you are complaining about. ??

I see a crown that looks like it never got the internal finished. I think you are simply missing a land-mark, or "Raw Curve" around the margin and the final finishing never happened due to this.

technician

technician

Reaction score
It is not your PC.

Tool-paths look the same to me, but just a different angle.

You are also just showing us the Roughing tool path, and not the final finishing.

The roughing may not be able to go as deep, due to radius of the 2mm tool. Then, the 1mm tool would finish and go deeper.

I still am lost to what you are complaining about. ??

I see a crown that looks like it never got the internal finished. I think you are simply missing a land-mark, or "Raw Curve" around the margin and the final finishing never happened due to this.

Nope thats all it does inside. And tool path are not the same.

ai531.photobucket.com_albums_dd352_tenretni4u_errortoolpath2_zps3171d4a9.png

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I hear of many similar issues, but people are shy to post about it for some reason?

Maybe they are going to try and sell as a good healthy mill, but in reality......

We all know that is not an industrial quality product, you get what you paid for...but it has the best ROI out there. Looks like it's starting to show wear and tear after one year... maybe there are some parts which need replacement every so often ? I heard that the spindle is good for 2000 hours ?
Mine came with a 2 yr warranty, when it's up so my lease... then time will tell what's the next toy gonna be. :confused:

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Nope thats all it does inside. And tool path are not the same.

You certianly should have a roughing, then finishing internally.

You changed the viewing angles of your tool-paths, but they still look the same to me.

Maybe you should try and take screen shots from exact same viewing angle?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
I take a few days off for the weekend and look what I missed! :)

What size finishing tool are you using? Does it have enough reach to get down into that area? Are its dimensions correct in your CAM software (SUM3D)? The tool is made up of a shank, a narrowed down section and an actual cutting area. If the shoulder of the tool is too close to the cutting area then the CAM software will only cut into the center geometry so it does not run the shank against the inside wall of your part.

A tool that is shaped like the one in the first picture has enough length in the skinning section of the tool to go down into a pocket and cut out material:
awww.rolanddgastore.com_data_default_images_catalog_250_ZDB_40D_US.jpg

A tool that is shaped like the one in the picture below is great for finishing external anatomy but can not do much work inside a piece because the shank will collide with the walls of the part:
aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_80136d29de7879dd1e02c0b4debd6495._.jpg
awww.rolanddgastore.com_data_default_images_catalog_250_ZDB_40D_US.jpg aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_80136d29de7879dd1e02c0b4debd6495._.jpg

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
I take a few days off for the weekend and look what I missed! :)

What size finishing tool are you using? Does it have enough reach to get down into that area? Are its dimensions correct in your CAM software (SUM3D)? The tool is made up of a shank, a narrowed down section and an actual cutting area. If the shoulder of the tool is too close to the cutting area then the CAM software will only cut into the center geometry so it does not run the shank against the inside wall of your part.

A tool that is shaped like the one in the first picture has enough length in the skinning section of the tool to go down into a pocket and cut out material:
awww.rolanddgastore.com_data_default_images_catalog_250_ZDB_40D_US.jpg

A tool that is shaped like the one in the picture below is great for finishing external anatomy but can not do much work inside a piece because the shank will collide with the walls of the part:
aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_80136d29de7879dd1e02c0b4debd6495._.jpg

Is the same model not being milled again and again. I understand that the toolpaths generated the second time run OK
awww.rolanddgastore.com_data_default_images_catalog_250_ZDB_40D_US.jpg aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_80136d29de7879dd1e02c0b4debd6495._.jpg

technician

technician

Reaction score
Is the same model not being milled again and again. I understand that the toolpaths generated the second time run OK

The tool path is generated on the same stl file.
Glenn I'm using long burrs. The problem is/was the CAM (WorkNC) software. I've removed all other software running on that pc so I'll see if that was the problem.

Cheers

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Did you manage to sort the problem wit the Roland's milling?

corona

corona

Reaction score
Does USB protocol inherently have error correction built into it ?

NO ! - it does have error detection.

There is a principal difference between "error correction" as in ECC ("Error Correcting Code")
and as in "error detection triggers a resend".

USB has detection of errors via a CRC on each packet.
If corruption is detected, the USB controller will drop the packet and the host will have to (automatically) re-send it.
Unless it is an Isochronous type endpoint. For Isochronous endpoints, corrupt packets are just dropped and not re-sent.

^
/
/
/
Huh? . Some of these threads are in another language . :confused:

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Adamb4321 and sidesh0wb0b,

From his post it sounds like he narrowed the issue down to the CAM software not the mill. He removed other software from the computer to see if that was causing issues with the CAM software.

-Glenn

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we have not yet resolved the issue. the story so far is that a new milling arm was placed in the mill however this did not solve the problem, as the machine would now not accept calibration and failed to utilize the z axis completely. waiting now on a brand new mill sometime soon. until then, relying on the 2nd mill we bought 2nd hand to continue production. slowly.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
By milling arm you mean linear guide ?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i mean the gadget that runs along the rails and goes up and down with a drill bit.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Spindle ?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

F

Fred J

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and had the same problem with my DWX50 running with Delcam SW. Every once in a while we get a crown that doesn't seem to "mill all the way". It seems to either mill too much material or not enough. It can either be inside or on the outside surface. I will re load the job again and it mills fine. I am not doing anything different between the two job runs. Both load and simulate fine.
Our reseller took a look at the simulated tool paths within Delcam and said that everything looked fine, he seemed to think it was a communication error between the SW and Machine. I still don't have a definite answer from him, just "let me make a few calls".

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have the same. I use Sum3D and occasionally have an area that does not mill at all. Sum3D is calculations the job correctly. I check it on the cinematic module to make sure the tool paths were correct. Has to be a communication error somewhere. It happens very rarely but always on larger bridges etc.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
It looks like this thread has split into two topics:

CoolHandLuke was having eratic behavior from his machine. A rep from our Canadian office went on site and tried a few things but rather than keep the machine down they decided to swap it for a new unit and bring the old unit back to service for complete diagnostics.

"Technician" from Spain mentioned that the final toolpath is not cutting. Others have mentioned the same thing and all are using different CAM software. I shared this thread with the support team so they can try to find out what is going on. "Fred J" and anyone else in North America or Latin America (except Brazil) if you are experiencing this issue please contact Roland DGA technical support to open a service case. This will help the team gather information from as many of you as possible to try and find a correlation and solution. You can contact Roland DGA technical support through our website.

Roland DGA

If you are outside Roland DGA territory, please contact your local Roland office for support services. You can find your local office with the locator tool on our website:
Roland DGA - International Partners

It is also a good idea to visit the DWX support page once in a while to make sure you have the newest firmware and v-panel installed on your system and the most up to date service notes, manuals, etc.

-Glenn

Top Bottom