DWX50 skipping the fine milling stage

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Look what I found:

ai40.tinypic.com_6qb5sm.png

Could it be the culprit of the missing operations ? Dunno how to turn it off, any suggestions ?

technician

technician

Reaction score
It looks like this thread has split into two topics:

CoolHandLuke was having eratic behavior from his machine. A rep from our Canadian office went on site and tried a few things but rather than keep the machine down they decided to swap it for a new unit and bring the old unit back to service for complete diagnostics.

"Technician" from Spain mentioned that the final toolpath is not cutting. Others have mentioned the same thing and all are using different CAM software. I shared this thread with the support team so they can try to find out what is going on. "Fred J" and anyone else in North America or Latin America (except Brazil) if you are experiencing this issue please contact Roland DGA technical support to open a service case. This will help the team gather information from as many of you as possible to try and find a correlation and solution. You can contact Roland DGA technical support through our website.

Roland DGA

If you are outside Roland DGA territory, please contact your local Roland office for support services. You can find your local office with the locator tool on our website:
Roland DGA - International Partners

It is also a good idea to visit the DWX support page once in a while to make sure you have the newest firmware and v-panel installed on your system and the most up to date service notes, manuals, etc.

-Glenn

Hello,

In my case I'm quite sure its the CAM software thats not working correctly. Now I'm always look at milling paths before I mill so I know it'll be done correctly. If not, I just remove the object that can not be calculated correctly.
The problem I have is that this is a OEM WorkNC CAD program that was made for Noritake. That means I can not get support from WorkNC people but have to go through my distributor who then contacts Noritake people about the problem and I think they later contacts WorkNC people...........They've come up with different solutions but nothing works. The latest I heard from Noritake was that its a bug in the software and they might fix it! and the they also said -We hope this solved your problems -yea sure! I'm now testing sum3D lets see how that goes :)

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Look what I found:

Could it be the culprit of the missing operations ? Dunno how to turn it off, any suggestions ?

The “OPTIONAL BLOCK SKIP: ON” has nothing to do with missing operations.

OPTIONAL BLOCK SKIP is the code function that it skips the sentence when “/” is added at the beginning in G-Codes.

For example:

G01Z-7.0
Y35.0
/G04X1000
G03X15.0Y-15.0I15.0

“/” is added at the beginning of G04, G04 will be skipped.
G04 is the dwell command, and in this case, the command for waiting for 1 sec. will be skipped (ignored).

For the DWX-50, it is always ON so the mill can recognize the “/”.

As I mentioned in my previous post if any DWX-50 users are running into an issue with missing operations (for example: the finishing path does not mill) they should contact their local Roland office to provide specifics about their individual system set up. Roland support teams from around the world can share data and help find specific causes and solutions. My previous post has links to get support in North and South America or find the local Roland office for your part of the world.

If you would like to learn more about G-Code commands you can download the G-Code reference manual from the Roland DGA support site.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
When I said rare before, I mean rare. I think I had an issue with two cases. The other 400 or so a month are perfect;) I had the opportunity to mill an izir roundhouse screw retained case with tissue etc.. Flawless;)

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
If you would like to learn more about G-Code commands you can download the G-Code reference manual from the Roland DGA support site.

Thanks Glenn !

Was looking for something like that for a long time... however that is for the MDX model... got anything on the DWX50 by any chance ? Trying to write my on post processor for a while,:noidea: need specifics badly... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
When I said rare before, I mean rare. I think I had an issue with two cases. The other 400 or so a month are perfect;) I had the opportunity to mill an izir roundhouse screw retained case with tissue etc.. Flawless;)

Look how Bob is smiling in the corner reading how you are referring to your restoration with his branding :)

Marketing at its finest!

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Thanks Glenn !

Was looking for something like that for a long time... however that is for the MDX model... got anything on the DWX50 by any chance ? Trying to write my on post processor for a while,:noidea: need specifics badly... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ?

I am checking to see if there is a DWX-50 specific version or supplement to the standard guide. If I find something I will let you know.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I am checking to see if there is a DWX-50 specific version or supplement to the standard guide. If I find something I will let you know.

Bump...:bump2: Glenn, did you find anything yet ?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
ZZ,

I found this buried in a DWX-50 related document. I did not have time to cross reference it so it might just be the same info as that in the NC Code manual posted to our website.

Word Function
G00 Set Position
G01 Linear Interpolation
G02,G03 Circular Interpolation (CW, CCW)
G04 Dwell
G10 Data Setting
G17、G18、G19 Plane (XY, ZX, YZ)
G20、G21 Measurement Unit (inch, mm)
G28 Reference-point Return
G39 Corner-offset Circular Interpolation
G40、G41、G42 Tool-diameter Offset (Cancel, Left, Right)
G53 Movements on Machine Coordinates
G54、G55、G56, G57、G58、G59 Select Coordinate System
G80、G81、G82, G83、G85、G86, G89 Fixed Cycle
G90、G91 Absolute and Incremental
G92 Coordinate System
G98 Initial Level Return
G99 Point R Level Return
M00 Program Stop
M01 Optional Stop
M02 End of Program
M03、M05 Spindle Motor Start/Stop
M06 Tool Selection
M30 End of Program
S Spindle Speed
F Feed Rate

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Thanks ! Combining this with the MDX's specs and a bit of reverse engineering the CAM's g-code should do the trick...

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Glad to help. Please, just don't break anything!

awww.cgsociety.org_stories_2003_9_mad_scientist_step_5_final.jpg
awww.cgsociety.org_stories_2003_9_mad_scientist_step_5_final.jpg

William

William

Reaction score
Hello,

In my case I'm quite sure its the CAM software thats not working correctly. Now I'm always look at milling paths before I mill so I know it'll be done correctly. If not, I just remove the object that can not be calculated correctly.
The problem I have is that this is a OEM WorkNC CAD program that was made for Noritake. That means I can not get support from WorkNC people but have to go through my distributor who then contacts Noritake people about the problem and I think they later contacts WorkNC people...........They've come up with different solutions but nothing works. The latest I heard from Noritake was that its a bug in the software and they might fix it! and the they also said -We hope this solved your problems -yea sure! I'm now testing sum3D lets see how that goes :)
have you solved this? zahn and noratake have separated from this agreement. you should now be able to get direct support from worknc. i do.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi, Is it possible to try milling the same file using another computer connected to the DWX.
I have a laptop as a backup always ready to go and swap it out if there are ever any issues..at least then it may rule out the computer.
It will regenerate the tool path and see what happens...
If you just keep trying to mill the same CAM file you may actually get the same results as it may be corrupt.

Also you could inspect the stl file as well and regenerate it.

I have had the odd thing happen on occasion and it baffles me....

I have found having a dedicated hefty computer for SUM 3D essential and regular restarts a must.
Also I use dedicated USB port..I don't share it with keyboard or mouse etc.

Hope any of this helps

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We run Five Industrial mills from One PC with SUM3d. Close to One hundred projects each day!

We never restart the PC except for OS updates.

I am sure Stephano, Gianmarco, and Luigi would also say this is not necessary Terry.

The CAM is not to blame. Start looking at that cheap mill instead.

We never miss any operations. Never had it happen once.

You do not need a hefty PC for sum3d.

As a matter of fact, we recently had them change the program a week or Two ago for PCs with Six cores.

That only created problem having too powerful of a PC. LOL

I have a PC with Two Eight-core Xeon processors and 48gb RAM with massive graphics cards, but I don't think SUM3d would run very well on it.

Just a regualar Quad core, standard PC is the best. Trust me. I know for sure!!

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Well thanks for that, good to know.
However without just throwing blame around on " that cheap mill" it's better to start trying things that rule out what it isn't.
So the first thing to do would be to try another computer, because thats the easiest way first. Then try another mill. A logical approach is best.
At least then you can begin to rule out stuff.

I can't tell you how many times it's been a software/computer issue rather than a hardware issue in our place and and we run a fair bit of stuff too.
We had two computers act up in the same week once... After trying everything... The fix... Reinstall Windows...then all perfect..go figure.

You must be lucky never to restart your computers, I find it needed, I have SUM 3D occasionally hang if we leave it on too long, and it's a fresh install, latest version. Not sure why, maybe it's not the program.. but it does hang and you can't quit it without brute force.

Hefty..well not a dual core, that's all I meant,.

5 machines, great..what are they out of curiosity?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
At One point, I had Four 3M Lava mills built by Primacon in Germany. Now I have Three of those.

When I bought them, they were about 10x the cost of a Roland (First One was over $225k). Yes, I had a Roland maybe Six-Seven years ago and it was such a POS that I quickly sold it.

God what a piece of sh1t! I will try my best not to repeate what I have said about that paper printer with extra axii added, run by rubber bands and Z-assembly flopping up and down on foose-ball table rails with NO frame to support it. LOL No encoders to have any sort of accurate positioning. What a turd!

My oldest Lava mill is 10 yrs old, and runs 24/7 this whole time without issues. LOVE IT. We run them with SUM3d and I make custom Aluminum frames to hold custom Zirconia in larger size. I service them myself and have extra spindles and axis motors and such in stock.

Dual core is fine with SUM3d. Sh1t, even Windows XP is fine. I have a Mill I designed, and soon to be released, and a Haas, and a KaVo.

Never will try any more cheap mills. They do not belong in the Medical field, or in any profession. They belong in High-School training class cutting toys and such.

Sum3d has almost daily updates for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes, it is just for One individual customer.
It is very specifically custom-configured for all sorts of machines. If you have an issue, then report it, or try installing an update. After all, it is designed by humans and we are known to make mistakes. They won't get fixed if not reported.

Last edited:
Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi there,
What Roland would you have has 6 or 7 years ago?
DWX 30? Maybe, but I don't even think they were around then. I think it was released in 2009? I actually had one of the first ones and we got ours in 2010 in Australia.
Of course there were the non dental machines people were messing with so maybe it was one of them.

Sure you may have had a bad experience with a particular machine but that does not necessarily follow that they are all bad.

Having the machines you have now I can understand how you may not wish to even entertain the idea that people are using Roland machines.

You are obviously a milling centre, am I correct? Or a high volume lab?
Or both?

As I have said in a few posts... People will usually think what they have is the best.

I can assure you I know many laboratories running Roland DWX 50 machines as part if their daily routine, and successfully too.

Six or seven years ago is a long time in dental CAD CAM. What CAM software were you running with the Roland way back then? I wonder how well it worked.

Are their better machines than the Roland? Sure, but people need a good starting point in the marketplace and the ROI with a Roland is very attractive.

It may not be for everyone but it's a great start.

I'm sure you are excited about releasing your own milling machine, but I ask you this; do you feel confident that it will be 100% accurate and work flawlessly all the time ? Will the software always run glitch free?

If you can assure the customers this and make it a reality you will have customers lined up around the block .

however, how will you feel when a customer has an issue with it and bitches about it on a forum or just writes it off without even giving it an honest try and getting to know it, or even worse just rates it poorly without even seeing it or owning it.

I wish you all best with it, and eagerly wait it's launch.

Please keep me posted for a release date.

Any chance you can post some specifications ?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I forgot to mention...we have already raised the issue with SUM 3D and I have always found them very prompt. We have a good dialogue with them. They have helped us a great deal over the years to do things on the Roland we thought were not possible.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Hey Terry nice to see you on DLN. I meet you in Boston at C.A.P. You raised some good points about the Roland. But you're talking to Scott who unless you're rocking Exocad on his Medit scanner, or milling with something other than "a foosball" milling machine, he won't agree with ya. haha.

I've had mine for going on 2 years now. Works great. Yes there have been hiccups along the way, but they get taken care of promptly. For the $ it's a great machine.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi Shane, great to hear from you. Thanks for the heads up.
Reality is all machines have their validity, but you need to use a fair comparison, just as CAD software does.
Im back at C.A.P next week, dropping in for a quick visit on my way to New York. Good to see you have your Roland purring away.
Yea.. top machine for the investment. Not the biggest or the best machine in the market.. but maybe just the best value and most accessible..and that's really important these days.

Top Bottom