Cerec competition...Carestream Dental?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I just had a client mention a new player in the chairside scan & mill market called Carestream. I don't know what the costs are compared to Cerec, but I wouldn't want to own a Cerec after reading about this one. This unit gives the doctor the ability to send the "more complex" cases via an STL file to 3shape, dentalwings, exocad, etc. I'm sure there must be a cost to be affiliated.

It appears there are already "preferred" labs out there which accept scans from this network. Anybody know about this stuff? http://www.dentalproductsreport.com...l-debuts-cs-solutions-cadcam-restorations-ids

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Carestream Dental is the old radiology/digital imaging division of the Kodak corporation. They have the deep pockets to market this system.
They are owned by Carestream Health which is owned by Onex, a huge private investor firm based in Canada. Toronto I think. For their chairside mill the only blocks available at this time are Vita mark lll, Enamic, and Suprinity, which the latter is supposed to be FDA cleared in April.

Read about Onex.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
and because it is carestream there will be a greater ability for them to foothold in the offices, via xray equip.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
and because it is carestream there will be a greater ability for them to foothold in the offices, via xray equip.
Exactly, they have software already developed to combine digital images from xray or conebeam scanners into their CAD software. They can even generate models, digital or printed if the office has a conebeam scanner. They also sell all of this equipment.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I have a doc who just started using a CareStream scanner. Its attractive to the doc because there are no per scan fees; and its a plug-and-play solution with a simple usb connection to a laptop. The scan quality has been a little bit of issue when putting the stuff into 3Shape ModelBuilder. Double surfaces, voids, and just some extraneous junk that must be dealt with before a model or restoration can be produced. Don't think its the equipment - I think my doc is still early in the learning curve...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Look on the bright side folks,

just think of all those crappy impressions you won't have to deal with in the future.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a doc who just started using a CareStream scanner. Its attractive to the doc because there are no per scan fees; and its a plug-and-play solution with a simple usb connection to a laptop. The scan quality has been a little bit of issue when putting the stuff into 3Shape ModelBuilder. Double surfaces, voids, and just some extraneous junk that must be dealt with before a model or restoration can be produced. Don't think its the equipment - I think my doc is still early in the learning curve...
keep us in the loop of how he progresses and if his practice gets any better!!

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Actually, I'm starting to turn sour on digital impressions. We deal mostly with iTero, but we print our own models. Its a hassle between the folks at iTero not following directions, and modelBuilder begin awfully buggy vis-a-vis iTero scans. It inevitable that I do one of three things for every digital case - Call the doctor to explain why I can't use his scan; Call iTero and ask them to rework the case, or call CAP with help getting the case through ModelBuilder. not a very profitable way to spend one's time...

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Actually, I'm starting to turn sour on digital impressions. We deal mostly with iTero, but we print our own models. Its a hassle between the folks at iTero not following directions, and modelBuilder begin awfully buggy vis-a-vis iTero scans. It inevitable that I do one of three things for every digital case - Call the doctor to explain why I can't use his scan; Call iTero and ask them to rework the case, or call CAP with help getting the case through ModelBuilder. not a very profitable way to spend one's time...

I deal with Itero scans also, but I use the Straumann/dentalwings software. I haven't had any issues since I let Itero do all the work and mill the models. I just started letting Core 3d do the printed stuff when it involves an implant analog and I will be receiving my first Straumann implant analog with the abutment Monday. I can just blow through the Emax cad units with the Itero scans and everything fits beautifully....a true timesaver. It seems that other CAD software has issues withe the margins when importing the Itero scans, but we have had good results with this.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i've made modelless from carestream before and the doctor seemed to like it. the one thing i liked about the carestream data was there were enough triangles that when I went to ditch in model builder, it didn't rip the file apart and leave me jagged lines (while a sirona STL converted file has)

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes with Core 3d. I have some of their scan caps and analogs for the implant cases - i just need to get off my ass and do a case...

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
I just had a client mention a new player in the chairside scan & mill market called Carestream. I don't know what the costs are compared to Cerec, but I wouldn't want to own a Cerec after reading about this one. This unit gives the doctor the ability to send the "more complex" cases via an STL file to 3shape, dentalwings, exocad, etc. I'm sure there must be a cost to be affiliated.

It appears there are already "preferred" labs out there which accept scans from this network. Anybody know about this stuff? http://www.dentalproductsreport.com...l-debuts-cs-solutions-cadcam-restorations-ids

carestream a joke 65000 Euro plus 2000 for cam for a 4 ax wet mill unit maybe one 0 to much but for dentist the wright choice ???? a joke

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Jeff, I lost my enthusiasm years ago.

I tell everyone to wait wait wait!!

No profit or really anything to be gained by playing with IOS still. :(

Just an initial "Neat-O" factor, that wears off within days of ownership.

I say Two more years still! At least..

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
carestream a joke 65000 Euro plus 2000 for cam for a 4 ax wet mill unit maybe one 0 to much but for dentist the wright choice ???? a joke

Cerec is a P.O.S as well, but look what their sales and marketing department achieved in this industry with some financial backing.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Printing 12 sets of models (11 iTero and 1 CareStream) today. Probably have 4 hours of my time in getting them through ModelBuilder for various reasons. In this instance, all the issues were either iTero related or problems with ModelBuilder - CareStream case actually went pretty smoothly...

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah, we had zero problems with carestream in model builder ironically, iTero was a little weird, but Sirona conversion was the worst

F

fanofcadcam

Reaction score
I have checked this out re. Carestream- there are no extra fees if a dentist chooses to send .stl files to his/her labs. Also, the dentist can purchase the scanner and either not bother with the chairside milling unit or add it later. It seems the only cost is the initial purchase price plus maybe a service/repair/upgrades annual fee

A

ANDREA1972

Reaction score
Greetings to all, this is my first post in this forum. I'm an Italian dentiusta interested in chairside
No one has opinions on the CS3000, the milling of Carestream?
I'm interested to buy it, but I can mill a few materials

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Just an FYI - my CareStream doc did eight cases. Had to remake 7 of them using conventional impressions. He just could not achieve adequate fluid control and his margins were obfuscated. Thought it was interesting that CareStream support was blaming me, so I had him mark his own margins - same result. Makes me not so fond of CareStream...

C

charles007

Reaction score
Just an FYI - my CareStream doc did eight cases. Had to remake 7 of them using conventional impressions. He just could not achieve adequate fluid control and his margins were obfuscated. Thought it was interesting that CareStream support was blaming me, so I had him mark his own margins - same result. Makes me not so fond of CareStream...

You are the lab, so its always the labs fought... haven't you learned there are no digital mistakes,
All of us know Cerwrecks make perfect fitting crowns, etc .......... lol

Top Bottom