Can you give some feedback on these

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Again... that is a crown that will be changed

Now we're talking,,,,that's so much better. Now, we know the smile appears to be canted. But since we dont have a full face photo, and assuming the lab knows what they're doing; it might be safe to assume your interpupillary line is parallel to your smile, which makes your eyes canted.....and that might be a bigger problem. But as I said before its an easy fix for your restorations.

BTW,,, a lab's worst nightmare is doing a single central the next might be doing a single restoration to match those done before. Do yourself a fovour and get it done at the same time.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
B1. Sorry. They did B1 and it was too dark. I told them to try BL4 and they went straight to bL2. They said they can make it darker with pastes. This logic seems crazy to me. The color above is BL2. The previous set they did a month ago were the B1s. You can tell in photos, but the BL2 looks like chrome up close. You can see silver streaks in them

If you think B1 is to dark, I will try to educate you on natural shades. Its rare to see natural teeth as light as B1.. this is a fact.. If you want lighter, that's what you should use, its your money. You see these BL bleached shades on TV, the stars want the younger look on the big screen. The B1 and A1 are the 2 lightest shades we normally use that are the highest value shades in our shade guide. Then we have another guide called the Bleached shade guide.. BL1-BL4.... we use for patients that bleach their teeth. The BL4 is now a common shade among bleached users when we make crowns. If you want very white crowns and B1 is used like you said, this shade can look grey if your in the A shade range. You said the B1 was to dark..... Maybe it wasn't to dark,, just grey looking ? Had the lab used a A1 or BL4, this may have been what your looking for. In my lab, A2 is the most used shade since more patients are bleaching.
Your probably in overload with all this information.. Take a deep breath and think about what you want in the outcome of shades. We all agree the crowns are not natural looking the way their contoured.....Do you show your lower teeth when you smile... What shade are your lower crowns/teeth. A2 ? Generally speaking your lower anteriors are slightly lighter than your uppers in natural teeth.
Are you planning on having work done on your lowers? Do you want your upper crowns to be 5+ shades lighter than your lowers and really look unnatural ? Are you planning on bleaching your surrounding teeth to come closer to match/blend in with your new crowns. Are you planning on bleaching for the rest of you life ? Have you tried bleaching, sometimes it makes your teeth very sensitive.
Sorry to add to your grief on these decisions...

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
If you think B1 is to dark, I will try to educate you on natural shades. Its rare to see natural teeth as light as B1.. this is a fact.. If you want lighter, that's what you should use, its your money. You see these BL bleached shades on TV, the stars want the younger look on the big screen. The B1 and A1 are the 2 lightest shades we normally use that are the highest value shades in our shade guide. Then we have another guide called the Bleached shade guide.. BL1-BL4.... we use for patients that bleach their teeth. The BL4 is now a common shade among bleached users when we make crowns. If you want very white crowns and B1 is used like you said, this shade can look grey if your in the A shade range. You said the B1 was to dark..... Maybe it wasn't to dark,, just grey looking ? Had the lab used a A1 or BL4, this may have been what your looking for. In my lab, A2 is the most used shade since more patients are bleaching.Your probably in overload with all this information.. Take a deep breath and think about what you want in the outcome of shades. We all agree the crowns are not natural looking the way their contoured.....Do you show your lower teeth when you smile... What shade are your lower crowns/teeth. A2 ? Generally speaking your lower anteriors are slightly lighter than your uppers in natural teeth.
Are you planning on having work done on your lowers? Do you want your upper crowns to be 5+ shades lighter than your lowers and really look unnatural ? Are you planning on bleaching your surrounding teeth to come closer to match/blend in with your new crowns. Are you planning on bleaching for the rest of you life ? Have you tried bleaching, sometimes it makes your teeth very sensitive.

Charles if A2 is a bleached shade then you must be from North Cacalaki,,:D:D:
Just kidding with you brother. But you are so right on all other counts. Everything you said is so true and patients need to be well informed when making these decisions. You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Kmvb

Kmvb

Reaction score
If you think B1 is to dark, I will try to educate you on natural shades. Its rare to see natural teeth as light as B1.. this is a fact.. If you want lighter, that's what you should use, its your money. You see these BL bleached shades on TV, the stars want the younger look on the big screen. The B1 and A1 are the 2 lightest shades we normally use that are the highest value shades in our shade guide. Then we have another guide called the Bleached shade guide.. BL1-BL4.... we use for patients that bleach their teeth. The BL4 is now a common shade among bleached users when we make crowns. If you want very white crowns and B1 is used like you said, this shade can look grey if your in the A shade range. You said the B1 was to dark..... Maybe it wasn't to dark,, just grey looking ? Had the lab used a A1 or BL4, this may have been what your looking for. In my lab, A2 is the most used shade since more patients are bleaching.
Your probably in overload with all this information.. Take a deep breath and think about what you want in the outcome of shades. We all agree the crowns are not natural looking the way their contoured.....Do you show your lower teeth when you smile... What shade are your lower crowns/teeth. A2 ? Generally speaking your lower anteriors are slightly lighter than your uppers in natural teeth.

It def. looked grey.. I wanted BL4 and they did BL2 instead.. I will be bleaching my lowers for sure.. I will do Zoom..

Kmvb

Kmvb

Reaction score
example

this is what I was trying to achieve.. something like this
veneers-1.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Troy, I deleted a couple of sentences , so my comment about A2 didn't make any sense in my post... I think I receive more A2 now because more patients are bleaching and ending up with A2's... or most of my doctors are color blind.. I'm guessing the lower anteriors are in the A2.5 -A3 range, so a A1 or BL4 might be a better shade to use on the uppers....
Now that she says she saw grey, I guess I was in the ballpark. I've seen B1 look grey more times than I can count.........

C

charles007

Reaction score
this is what I was trying to achieve.. something like this

This is the kind of contours that's needed to not have your crowns not look like crowns... In this picture, at your young looking age, I would make the laterials #7,10 slightly shorter than the picture. In older people you will notice the anteriors worn down and the same length.
Take a look at Al or Troy picture, and guess there age .:D

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
This is the kind of contours that's needed to not have your crowns not look like crowns... In this picture, at your young looking age, I would make the laterials #7,10 slightly shorter than the picture. In older people you will notice the anteriors worn down and the same length.
Take a look at Al or Troy picture, and guess there age .:D

Thats very funny Charles......as for the A2 shade I knew exactly what you meant,,,tobacco road baby. If A2 is light I'd hate to see the before...:D:D:D

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
So how much different is A1 from BL4?

shade_guide_20tabs.jpg

I am guessing from reading this thread that your too dark tab was a b2 not a bl1 or even b1. Im guessing from the picture that the confusion was possibly shared by the dentist...to the lab....because your case looks to have been made in BL1....where perhaps b1 would have been a better match..and bl4 might be the shade to make you happy....if the lab can nail the other aesthetic issues down.

I did a quick copy and paste to get the bl4/A1 tabs side by side for better comparison....hope this answers your question about them at least
shade.jpg

Last edited:
M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind is that when you bleach your lower teeth the current bridge you have there will not change color. It's also better to bleach first then match the new crowns,veneers to the color your natural teeth end up rather than picking a color and hoping you can get your natural teeth bleached to match.

Kmvb

Kmvb

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind is that when you bleach your lower teeth the current bridge you have there will not change color. It's also better to bleach first then match the new crowns,veneers to the color your natural teeth end up rather than picking a color and hoping you can get your natural teeth bleached to match.

I mentioned that to them. That bridge is going to have to be changed too

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I'm sorry - but this is so typical of too much input from the patient, too little input from the lab and a dentist that may or may not have a clue what is wrong.

What ever happened to case planning the lower first - THEN - doing the upper? I bet most techs under 40 don't even know that's how its supposed to be done... seems like most dentist don't either so don't feel bad. Its too often driven by the patient who wants maximum esthetics first and deal with the problems later.
Yes there was trauma - so what has the rush achieved? An ugly restoration attempt.

You want natural contours like the photo posted? You're gonna need a different technician to do it - whomever contoured that mess in your mouth doesn't have a clue what a natural contour should be or how its achieved. You have classic chicklets - we've all seen them - often times in areas of the country that is affluent enough to have better.

Your shade is determinant on a lot of things. We did a shade match on a patient that B1 looked dingy and Authentic W++ was just right. W++ is what we call American Standard white... or in common vernacular, toilet bowl white. The final shade had more to do with skin tones and hair color than anything inside her mouth. Most people with dark hair or olive skin or light tans cannot have anything in a bleach shade - not and have it look natural. The question isn't whether its a B1, BL1 or a BL4 - its what is the color of the majority of your natural teeth, and only then at least two weeks after your last bleaching treatment.

It's time for a total restart on your mouth. Do it right - in the right order, by a qualified dentist who uses a qualified lab. You can't go to a hack and expect the moon! Asking us here should only tell you to do that - everything else is second guessing - no matter who is doing the guessing!

Start with a good series of photographs, made with a professional level camera and a ring light. This iphone crap is worthless to all of us!

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
It's time for a total restart on your mouth. Do it right - in the right order, by a qualified dentist who uses a qualified lab. You can't go to a hack and expect the moon! Asking us here should only tell you to do that - everything else is second guessing - no matter who is doing the guessing!

Start with a good series of photographs, made with a professional level camera and a ring light. This iphone crap is worthless to all of us!

Well said Jon. What makes it worse is you can tell how crappy they are EVEN with an iphone.

I feel bad for this patient though. She's been through a lot. We all know how hard it can be to find a good dentist. Most people think the good doc is the one with the office that has the big flat-screens and shiny operatory. All this means is they run a good business(or are in tons of debt),and being a good business man doesn't make you a good doc.

I have found it's almost the exact opposite. The best doc's we do work for barely do any cosmetic stuff, and the cosmetic guys tend to hack it up...at least in my small world.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Thanks Alistar - i was a bit edgy the other day, wasn't I.

Sorry all!!!