8 bucks a unit?

D

dental1975

Reaction score
i contour for a cheapskate 20 to 30 units i would say, he gives me 20 an hour, i am going to open my own lab very shortly. What should i get for contouring in the mean time?

L

labguy50

Reaction score
whats he charging per unit and how detailed is the work your producing ?...at 20 to 30 units im guessing the lab isnt exactly getting top dollar ?

D

dental1975

Reaction score
125 unit np not sure what thw upcharge is for high noble, i do ptc style crowns i can do better but i just get a block of porcelain to contour so its best.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its alittle difficult to break down every step of the process into what each step is worth. Cost wise, labor is the most expensive ingredient. What you should get for contouring....you said youre getting 20$/hour. So I assume youre not doing piece work-get them done as fast as youre able and then leave. Youre getting 20 bucks an hour, work all day, and generally do 20 to 30 of them. If thats your senario...thank your lucky stars the boss hasnt figured out yet that youre expensive. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

C

charles007

Reaction score
KEEP THAT JOB........PERIOD.

Some labs like myself and others can't work enough hours in a week to get the work out......MANY MANY labs are crying for work, and laying off techs in this slow down of the economy, and lowering prices. IF.... and I say IF you are going to open a lab, make damn well sure YOU can get the work........

In a few years the average lab will have cad/cam, or at the least a scanner.... Should you decide to open a lab, be prepared to go digital from day one to be competitive with future labs that may have lower prices....

Next year you may see scanners much cheaper, and digital impressions are just days away from the digital lab....

I just spent 2 days in Calif. talking with 2 Cad/cam companies...this industry is changing much faster than you even know about.

Before you open a lab, do your homework... and a LOT of research....

Your Twenty dollars per hour is good.....in any average lab.....

Good Luck, and be thankful you have a job .

Charles

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
That's it, you contour 20-30 units a day, PTC style? keep your job, the economy sucks and unless you have excellent credit(banks have become very picky) you'll need an easy $25000.00 to open the doors properly and that might not be enough to do the type of work you're looking to do. Remember, you'll be running a business, not a hobby shop. That's the downfall of a lot of new lab start-ups.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
25K won't be enough, try tripling that at least.........
I just opened up over a year ago, and if you think you can get by with less than that, you're just setting yourself up for failure IMO.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Triple would be a BARE minimum...remember that besides opening the lab, youve still got to cover your living expenses at home. Expect, or be prepared to not have an income for the first 6-12 months. Thats what killes most new businesses...not failing to produce a marketable product or service, but just being under capitolized the first year.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Triple would be a BARE minimum...remember that besides opening the lab, youve still got to cover your living expenses at home. Expect, or be prepared to not have an income for the first 6-12 months. Thats what killes most new businesses...not failing to produce a marketable product or service, but just being under capitolized the first year.

I agree......
6-12 months is an honest and fair opinion. I started with two out of state accounts but really didn't start seeing the work flowing in from other/new accounts for about six months.......Looking back, I would of had at least 150K, instead of 100K. Now I pretty much set up for fixed and some removables, but I'm not sure if setting a lab up for removables only or fixed only would of been much difference.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Gotta chime in one more time...From the original petitioners view point this might sound like we're stepping on his dream and discourageing him from getting out there, slaying some dragons and representing the American spirt. We're just telling you the rocks are slippery, watch your step. How about keeping your day job, buy some equiptment at home and set up a hobby lab/study and perfect your skills room. A corner of the basement, spare bedroom etc. Go out and try to get one account-NOT one your boss works for, and knock them out of the ball park with your skills. It could be a big bump to your income, give you a small home office deduction, and when youre ready to expand, a satisfied Doctor can be your best salesman. Join NADL and get the publications, stay plugged in here and grow your skills, confidence, and business all together.

D

dental1975

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice i already have some equipment and i know another lab that will do the work up til the framework then i would apply the porcelain. Sorta like piecework except i should make 80 a unit.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
Did anyone mention yet the privlege of being self employed comes with a hefty self employment tax, and the headache of the paper work, and deadlines for sending in tax payments each quarter? re-think your decision to go out on your own very carefully!!

D

dental1975

Reaction score
But cant you put like 35 k a a year into a SEP?

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
I was in in-house tech on an hourly wage, and purchased the equipment from the dentist I was working for in March. I still do work for the same dentist, and now one of his friends. Getting clients is not easy, and I wouldn't have a second one if it weren't for the first. I have other friends that under charged to get clients, then they were really busy but at the end of the month they weren't keeping much of the money. If you own your equipment that is a great start. Keep your overhead low without sacrificing quality. I wish I had a lab locally to work at while building my business, but that wasn't an option for me. I hired a book keeper, she charges by the hour so if I am not busy I don't have to pay her much. Anyhow I do everything from disinfecting the cases to packaging and shipping, the book keeper just reviews my numbers monthly and will help me with the tax stuff quarterly. Starting your own business is no cake walk, no matter what business you choose. Don't get discouraged, be resourceful, and be ready to eat ramen for a while. If you can make a go of it the rewards will come.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I was in in-house tech on an hourly wage, and purchased the equipment from the dentist I was working for in March. I still do work for the same dentist, and now one of his friends. Getting clients is not easy, and I wouldn't have a second one if it weren't for the first. I have other friends that under charged to get clients, then they were really busy but at the end of the month they weren't keeping much of the money. If you own your equipment that is a great start. Keep your overhead low without sacrificing quality. I wish I had a lab locally to work at while building my business, but that wasn't an option for me. I hired a book keeper, she charges by the hour so if I am not busy I don't have to pay her much. Anyhow I do everything from disinfecting the cases to packaging and shipping, the book keeper just reviews my numbers monthly and will help me with the tax stuff quarterly. Starting your own business is no cake walk, no matter what business you choose. Don't get discouraged, be resourceful, and be ready to eat ramen for a while. If you can make a go of it the rewards will come.

I couldn't of said it better.........absolutely right on the money!!!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I takes more than talent to be self employed.

#1 thing to do first is the following...

Take a few months to write a business plan, you can purchase one on Ebay and modify it or purchase software where you just answer questions. This is your foundation to put a road map together to get you in the game.

Be prepared for the rejection, have enough money saved for living expenses for at least 6 months, a year is better.

Ask your self these questions before you spend any money, and write down the answers. Reread it daily

1) Why do you want to be Self employed?

2) How are you different from your competition?

3) Why would clients choose to give you a shot?

4) How are you planning to grow when you are wearing all the hats?

5) How will you initially price your services and why?

6) What will you do when your expectations are not met?

With out any business experience its generally a very difficult road to navigate. Compound that with a down economy and it is even more of a challenge.

Realize that the best techs in the world are not always suited to run a business. Just remember that It takes more than talent at the bench to be a successful lab owner.

I wish you luck,
JOHN

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The best time to start a business is during a recession. Go for it and don't listen to the fearmongers.You will find your way. Dental Technicians are very resourceful.
There is only one thing you need and that is passion!

O

odchamp

Reaction score
A fool and their money are soon departed.
The best idea was to keep your job and slowly build up a business on the side, don't run before you can walk.

Top Bottom