Zr opaque liquid

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Hi just need a recommendation on a pre-sinter liquid to block-out the gray of ti base or dark stumps.
Thank you

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I 2nd that, works like a charm, very intense white.

doug

doug

Reaction score
John Wilson introduced us to White Plus. We bought it from: Global Digital Design & Product Sourcing Inc 14631 Lee Highway #317 Centreville, VA 20121 (703) 815-2223. Works very effectively. A little goes a long way.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Just be careful using these "opaquers." The way they opaque is by introducing a material that will prevent the zirconia crystals from "bonding together, creating air gaps between them. This causes the light to bend or refract as it passes through, creating opacity.

That is the upside.

The downside is that this also damages the zirconia. If applied too heavily it can weaken and even cause thin margins to warp.

We (Ivoclar) don't have one for that reason, and suggest it not be used on any of our materials.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just be careful using these "opaquers." The way they opaque is by introducing a material that will prevent the zirconia crystals from "bonding together, creating air gaps between them. This causes the light to bend or refract as it passes through, creating opacity.

That is the upside.

The downside is that this also damages the zirconia. If applied too heavily it can weaken and even cause thin margins to warp.

We (Ivoclar) don't have one for that reason, and suggest it not be used on any of our materials.
I was under the impression the opaquer works the same way as coloring works, in this case using titanium oxide on an acidic base. If you have have any research papers supporting your claim, I'd love to read it.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I was under the impression the opaquer works the same way as coloring works, in this case using titanium oxide on an acidic base. If you have have any research papers supporting your claim, I'd love to read it.
I'll have to see what we have on it.

But, unlike in glass ceramics where we use metalic oxides to create shading, in zirconia we use metalic ions to create the shading. All of them are damaging to the zirconia, it just depends on the degree.

For example, when we use a reddish brown coloring liquid it imparts erbia ions to create the slight reddish tones to the material. In small amounts it is fine, But when we increase the erbia content to a higher concentration to create a pink infiltration liquid for the gingival areas the erbia acts a lot like yttria and starts to create more translucency by allowing more of the zirconia crystals to become stabilized in the cubic phase - larger crystals, no transformation toughening, effectively weakening the material. Now if the material is 10mm thick and the infiltration was done judiciously (like just to the facial) and not applied so much that it seeps 3-4mm into the restoration, then probably no harm. But if it was applied with a "Heavy Hand" to get a darker more intense pink shade, then you may have done irreparable damage to the restoration and it may break either while working on it or later in the mouth.

I know we passed around some information on the "opaquers" in our tech services department, and I'll try to find it and summerize. I don't think we have an official published study on it though.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That sounds familiar, as far as the ions when I talked to Origin about their water-based dipping liquids.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
WTH is erbia?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I havent looked at a periodic table since high school.

Im old enough to remember zirconia being hammer-tested by GW as the strongest dental material ever.. Now, you cant grind on it, sandblast it, or color it too much without fear of it breaking.. lol

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Im old enough to remember zirconia being hammer-tested by GW as the strongest dental material ever.. Now, you cant grind on it, sandblast it, or color it too much without fear of it breaking.. lol
If you don't have one particular product in your lineup and your competitor does... just come up with some good, scientifically sounding excuse Vroam

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
The opaquer actually is warping the zirconia if adding too much. Not only the edge. I am mixing it with food color to make it less agressive. Just a little bit of white hue is enough.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I also use a dye color to help see where I'm applying it and how much it's covering, of how much I'm using.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi just need a recommendation on a pre-sinter liquid to block-out the gray of ti base or dark stumps.
Thank you
We use Origin Inc Wt 2, have not noticed any distortions post sinter. You really have to be careful of what zone you're concerned about a Value drop in. As previous people mentioned here is a little goes a long way. Too much and you can have a white opaque External issue to deal with due to soak thru, oh ya been there 🙄 Btw, these products have a shelf life of 1 Year. After that time you may see some crystals forming on the bottom of your cylinder. Still seems fine but concentrations may be wildly off. Use discretion and with a eye to caution. These products are definitely Less Is More category.
I also use a dye color to help see where I'm applying it and how much it's covering, of how much I'm using.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We use Origin Inc Wt 2, have not noticed any distortions post sinter. You really have to be careful of what zone you're concerned about a Value drop in. As previous people mentioned here is a little goes a long way. Too much and you can have a white opaque External issue to deal with due to soak thru, oh ya been there 🙄 Btw, these products have a shelf life of 1 Year. After that time you may see some crystals forming on the bottom of your cylinder. Still seems fine but concentrations may be wildly off. Use discretion and with a eye to caution. These products are definitely Less Is More category.

Sda36, when you paint the inside of the crown, are you drying it out for 5-10 minutes first, or putting it directly into the sinter furnace?

mammasan

mammasan

Reaction score
I just got the new liquids from katana. I applied a thin coat and it didn't seem to block out much. These liquids are more diluted compared to what I've been using which is a good thing. I have a case with a very dark prep coming up so we'll see how the opaquer helps. I'm using this on AG Gen X.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Chang.

Attachments

• received_10213445912321193.jpeg
    received_10213445912321193.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 16
  • received_10213445910321143.jpeg
    received_10213445910321143.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 17