Zest Locator Technique

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Perhaps someone can shed some light for me. I have a Dr. who asks me to do these over a post canal. Problem I have is his post canals are to small for the threaded section of the cast to locator. So what I end up doing is cutting half the retention threads off . Next issue is using a standard para post, keeping it short enough to put the locator on leaves me nothing to wax or duralay to , to be able to pull the post out. Bottom line is it ends up to tall. Is there a better way around this ? Is it not his responsibility to give me a post canal large enough and to keep the prep at tissue height ? Or am I missing something ? Thanks

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Perhaps someone can shed some light for me. I have a Dr. who asks me to do these over a post canal. Problem I have is his post canals are to small for the threaded section of the cast to locator. So what I end up doing is cutting half the retention threads off . Next issue is using a standard para post, keeping it short enough to put the locator on leaves me nothing to wax or duralay to , to be able to pull the post out. Bottom line is it ends up to tall. Is there a better way around this ? Is it not his responsibility to give me a post canal large enough and to keep the prep at tissue height ? Or am I missing something ? Thanks
Yes, it is, no you're not. Feel better?

Is he bitching about outcome? Or are you tormenting yourself?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Called me up today and gave me an earfull telling me I"m not doing them right. I'm going to print up the technique manual and drop it off for him to read.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Nope, you've got it. Without enough room to surround the retentive part, they don't work. Good luck with dropping off the manual, I tried that too. I finally solved the problem when the Dr. I did them for retired.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
The doc needs to invest in a locator drill and the spot face tool. After they use these we also recommend creating a funnel shape internal bevel at the mouth of the canal. If the root is too small for this they are not a good candidate for the locator root attachments. It would be nice if zest had a better option for these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Called me up today and gave me an earfull telling me I"m not doing them right. I'm going to print up the technique manual and drop it off for him to read.
my opinion is that if a doc insists on setting things up for failure, then wants to kick the dog instead of accept responsibility and learn, they go into the 'dump this asshole' pile.

Try the manual, but don't be surprised if he turns it into a **** measuring contest.
Some percentage refuse to learn.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that.
Hope you preserve all records of what happened and photos so won't have to argue later on
what that casting or tooth fails and need an implant.
LCM

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Isnt something like 99% of the load on the first three threads. Thought I read that somewhere in an implant article.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Also it is recommended that the post be a length of 5mm. Just as a back up plan
once it is cast. Laser weld a bead around the circumference.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Zest has tools for everything, tell him to buy the right tool for the job.. if he resists explain that even a lowly mechanic understands you cant do the job without the right tool.

I mean, the 2nd page in a 'zest canal drill' google search has the part number and pictures...

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Call Zest, ask for a technical advisor to telephone the doc, ask them to be polite and state you've asked them to offer their help & advice about a difficult treatment that requires some expert guidance, as you want to be sure you're able to meet the doc's expectations. Make him feel important and not challenged, and if it fails then perhaps it's time to end the relationship. 2c.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Went to the Dr.s office today armed with my information. He conceded and will now order the proper tools to do the job. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Top Bottom